• It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:44 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Money Recommendations

Talk about your Animazement plans, and count down the days to Memorial Day weekend with us.

Moderator: Macross-Junkie

Money Recommendations

Postby paige_allen_95 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Let's be honest, con can be expensive.

How much would you recommend someone bring to con?

Include money for food and drink, as well as dealer's room.
Sam Winchester from Supernatural- 33% done

Fem11 from Doctor Who(purple version/revised) - 75% finished (Still need screwdriver & vest)
paige_allen_95
Shonen Bat Victim

Re: Money Recommendations

Postby GoPikachu » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:07 pm

That all depends on you. Each person is different along with their budget. Everyone's eating and drinking needs vary. However, there are ways of cutting down cost.

Rather than eating fast food, get all of your food before the convention and store it at your hotel. Pack lunches every day.
Bottled water out of machines is just pricey. Instead, buy a pack at Walmart.

Spending in the dealers room and artist alley? Just because there are wonderful things begging to be bought doesn't mean they should be bought. Add up all your cost (including emergency money) and whatever you have left over extra is fair game for spending.

Since I don't know what your budget is, it's hard to answer your question. Hopefully this advice helped somewhat.
GoPikachu
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby AZ_belle_45 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:53 am

I think pika had some great tips, especially about bringing food and eating before going to the con. Try and pack enough food for the whole weekend but bring maybe 20 extra JUST for food. As far as dealer's room and artist alley, I say already have an idea of things you want to buy before you go to the con and look for that first, then price things that you want as a bonus. Most con goers have a few items particular they want like posters, figures or manga. Plan that out first and I would say 100 should work if you discipline yourself, then maybe and extra 20 in case you see something you really want. Also look around at different vendors before you buy the first thing you see, chances are if you see it at another shop you can get it cheaper! c: And ask for business cards or if they will be there all weekend because some vendors drop their prices by Sunday
~if life is but a fleeting dream...please do not wake me~
~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~

planned AZ 2014 cosplay:
Fight club captain Mako--kill la kill
Happy--Fairy Tail
Crimson Viper--Street Fighter
Bunny Maid
AZ_belle_45
Your Emergency Flotation Device

Postby Tigress » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:22 am

- Bring cheap, non-perishable stuff from home. You can heat water in the coffemaker for ramen and oatmeal. If you let it sit for a bit, you can also have easy mac cups.
- A 24-bottle case of water is about $3.
- Budget about $20 per day for restaurant food. Let's face it, you aren't going to want to eat snack food all day and probably shouldn't.
- There are all kinds of good fast-food and quick-service restaurants behind the Marriott and Sheraton. The Marriott's hotel also has a good restaurant, albeit pricey.
- Go into the dealer's room with a shopping list in mind and do at least one lap around it to compare offerings before buying anything. That will help quell the "OOH! WANT!"
- Do your shopping on Sunday. Dealer's are more willing to cut a deal with you.
- Whatever you think you are going to spend, double it. You think you're only going to spend $100, bring $200.
Kat's Play -- Costume Artist

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should've been more specific.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Postby Marzipan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:51 am

I always budget $500 for myself and my husband for hotel, food, and swag.
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby paige_allen_95 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:31 pm

I appreciate all your tips :)

Right now my plan is to bring my lunch each day and money for dinner outside of con (seeing as my costumes aren't super out there xD )

I think the first day I will only bring $100 for the dealer's room and if there is anything that catches my eye that I don't have enough, I'll sit on the decision and come back the next day. If its gone its gone no big deal.

again thanks for your tips! 8D

looking forward to Con ~<3
Sam Winchester from Supernatural- 33% done

Fem11 from Doctor Who(purple version/revised) - 75% finished (Still need screwdriver & vest)
paige_allen_95
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby AZ_belle_45 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 am

good luck ^-^ Hope you have a great time!!!
~if life is but a fleeting dream...please do not wake me~
~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~

planned AZ 2014 cosplay:
Fight club captain Mako--kill la kill
Happy--Fairy Tail
Crimson Viper--Street Fighter
Bunny Maid
AZ_belle_45
Your Emergency Flotation Device

Postby wolf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:09 am

I'd actually recommend those filtered water bottles you can get at most stores now. I had one last year and I've used it at cons too; it's great because you can always find a place to fill it when you're thirsty. ; v ; and you only have to change the filter every couple of months!
'13 Cosplays:
Thurs: nothing, I'm lazy~
Fri: Asuka - NGE 100%
Sat: Rikka - Chuu2
Sun: Yuno Gasai - Mirai Nikki
wolf
Elite Beat Agent

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:40 am

Scout the Dealer's Room/Artist Alley for things you really want, then come back later in the weekend to buy them (sometimes they'll be discounted Sunday!), or if you see that something's selling really fast, buy it right then. If it's within a reasonable price range, of course!

I usually end up spending less than $100 on swag, and the rest of what I bring goes to food, parking, etc. But there are some great tips here, thanks everyone for sharing!!

And this year my sis and I are planning to bring some food to cut down on food costs! :)
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Tavex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:39 pm

You guys do realize that some of the things in the Dealers room are only up for sale for like a single day right? And that things can get gone rather quick.

So that whole "wait until the end of the con" thing doesn't always work.
Cosplay for 2014 AZ:

Mushishi: Ginko

Final Fantasy XIII: Snow (MIGHT do this again)

Tavex
Pokémon Master

Postby GoPikachu » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Tavex wrote:You guys do realize that some of the things in the Dealers room are only up for sale for like a single day right? And that things can get gone rather quick.

So that whole "wait until the end of the con" thing doesn't always work.

No, that doesn't work well. Especially when you see ALL the things you want. Go with an idea of your budget after tallying up the cost, then spend. That is what I meant. That's one of the reasons taking food with you is super helpful.
Which means less chance of, "Oops, I spent all of my money in the dealers room and now I have no food or gas money."
Self control isn't always an option when you see all the wonderful things there is to buy. It's like being a kid in a candy store.
GoPikachu

Postby Tigress » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:41 am

If you have a cell phone with a data plan, you can also compare the prices with offerings online. Sometimes, dealers depend on the OMG WANT factor of their merchandise to get more money out of you. So compare it with offerings online to see whether or not you can find it cheaper online and/or the dealer is trying to rip you off.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Postby GoPikachu » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Tigress wrote:If you have a cell phone with a data plan, you can also compare the prices with offerings online. Sometimes, dealers depend on the OMG WANT factor of their merchandise to get more money out of you. So compare it with offerings online to see whether or not you can find it cheaper online and/or the dealer is trying to rip you off.

That would be incredibly, incredibly difficult. So much stuff to check the price for and quite often it will be cheaper online. Actually.. almost always.
By the time you finish checking all the items you want to buy, you'll find that just about all of them are better deals online.

But! I don't entirely disagree with you. If you look online and get an idea of the prices the items SHOULD be beforehand, you can refrain from buying something that is outrageously priced and more than a normal mark up.
GoPikachu

Postby Marzipan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:36 pm

It's only difficult if you OMG WANT ALL THE THINGS! xD

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but there's not a lot I want when I venture to the dealer's room.
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby GoPikachu » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Normally I want everything I see, except I can't afford but a couple things I want. Haha
Maybe this advice could apply to me... =)
GoPikachu

Postby Tigress » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:51 am

This is where having a mental shopping list comes in handy. For example, I'm going to need a new laptop bag soon, there are two Lupin figures I want to complete the current line I'm collecting (still looking for Jigen and Zenigata from that set) and I'm in the market for a decent pocket knife. There's also a couple of wigs I need to get for some upcoming cosplays.

So on Friday and Saturday, I'll bypass the plushies and cosplay items and focus on finding just the stuff I'm looking for. Once I find it, I can hit eBay or Rightstuf to ensure I'm getting a good deal.

Then on Sunday, I look for deals like cheap manga (like when I bought the first 10 volumes of Black Butler last year because I wanted to check the manga out) and something nice for my husband.

I definitely don't go nuts like I used to, simply because I go to roughly 10-15 conventions a year. So what I can't afford at one con will likely be sold at another down the road.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Postby Shenanagan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 am

Tigress wrote:This is where having a mental shopping list comes in handy. For example, I'm going to need a new laptop bag soon, there are two Lupin figures I want to complete the current line I'm collecting (still looking for Jigen and Zenigata from that set) and I'm in the market for a decent pocket knife. There's also a couple of wigs I need to get for some upcoming cosplays.

I've starting making a physical list so I can keep track of what I'm really looking for, and make sure I can budget for it! Plus any extra buys that are cheap and mostly impulse purchases. Very helpful!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Tavex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 pm

The 1 thing that I must absolutely have is my Yoko pillow.

GIVEITTOMEDAMMIT
Cosplay for 2014 AZ:

Mushishi: Ginko

Final Fantasy XIII: Snow (MIGHT do this again)

Tavex
Pokémon Master

Postby animedreamer102 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:33 pm

*starts saving up!* All I buy are plushies. My budget is typically around $200. That's like...getting 6-8 plushies. Oh, and I'll never forget that one year when they were selling a gigantic Rilakkuma plush for exactly $200. I almost bought it... Almost...

Anyways... I'd never waste money on food when it could be used for a super kawaii rare plushie. So I pack my lunches at my mama's house. xD

(of course, someone could easily say they wouldn't waste money on plushies when they could get -fill in the blank- ) Just save up for what's important for you! :3
animedreamer102
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Tigress » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm hoping the dude that sells me my Lupin figures will bring the two I'm looking for to AZ. He keeps forgetting and I like to support local businesses before I give up and go to eBay. I just need the two to complete the seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Next

Return to Convention Discussion