• It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Wig and Costume Tutorials!

Ask questions, discuss design tips and find others to organize a memorable photo shoot!

Moderator: PuppetQueen

Postby Tokaido » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:44 pm

YAY haha i dont think i will need one thank you though haha
Terror Squad 51st seat-(Super Awesome Manly) Janitor/Member of the House Band at the Maid Cafe.
Miyo's Favorite Statuitory! Image Cosplays For 2010:Urahara Kisuke-100%/Human Hitmonlee-5%
ImageImageImage
Tokaido
Your Silent Alibi

Postby Marzipan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:47 pm

As far as wigs go, I would definitely recommend ebay's cosplay wig seller. (username cosplaywig) I purchased two from him and one is still on the way, but the first one I got is the awesomeness. But I wish he would send wig stands with every purchase, because 43.00 is a lot. =)

So word to the wise, if you get a wig, buy a wig stand. It helps keep them neat and pretty until convention time. And if you go to the right place they're only like 6.99 a piece!
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Aikitiskui » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:06 am

does some one know were i can find a toutoral to make the Vampire knight unifourm ?
Aikitiskui
Citizen of Macross City

Postby wandering-dreamer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08 am

Aikitiskui wrote:does some one know were i can find a toutoral to make the Vampire knight unifourm ?

I don't think there is a tutorial out there for that one, but the vampire knight thread on cosplay.com ( http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=76807 ) is really helpful since the people of there have made the cosplays and have advice (it's where I getting all my help!).
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby shinshan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:46 am

Here's an unfinished sad little googlepages site I made with references for Miyavi's (solo Jrock artist) tattoos.

http://r.st.vier.googlepages.com/index
shinshan
Citizen of Macross City

Postby pancake-fong » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:35 pm

This is for a future cosplay I plan on doing. But how would I temporarely (sp?) dye my hair blonde? (I have dark brown...so is that possible?)
AZ '14 Plans: Emma Swan from Once Upon a Time
Me: Go team :rainbow: GOOOOOOO!!!!!
Little Brother: What? Team Rambo??
pancake-fong
Yuri-Pancake-Empress

Postby shinshan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:00 pm

No. The only way to lighten your hair is to bleach it, which can be damaging. To get blonde hair, you'd probably have to bleach it and then dye it, so that it looked blonde as opposed to bleached. A wig is a nice alternative, especially if you have *very* dark hair.
shinshan
Citizen of Macross City

Postby pancake-fong » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:28 pm

shinshan wrote:No. The only way to lighten your hair is to bleach it, which can be damaging. To get blonde hair, you'd probably have to bleach it and then dye it, so that it looked blonde as opposed to bleached. A wig is a nice alternative, especially if you have *very* dark hair.

Curses!!! *shakes fist at sky* Well, I'll just have to save money to buy my wig for my eventual (sp?) cosplay. Thanks for your help!
AZ '14 Plans: Emma Swan from Once Upon a Time
Me: Go team :rainbow: GOOOOOOO!!!!!
Little Brother: What? Team Rambo??
pancake-fong
Yuri-Pancake-Empress

Postby Eira » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:18 pm

Marzipan wrote:So word to the wise, if you get a wig, buy a wig stand. It helps keep them neat and pretty until convention time. And if you go to the right place they're only like 6.99 a piece!
Most(?) beauty stores have wig heads (Or stands. I guess they're the same thing. Styrofoam heads to keep your wigs on. :3) but you may have to ask someone, because they keep them in the back sometimes. I know of two or three stores in Wilmington that have them, and one (or two...) in Elizabethtown. They were all around $4, or so.

pettingzoowigs.com has some nice wig tutorials~ (I'm not sure if that's been mentioned or not. I just kind of skimmed through the rest of the topic. ^^;) And the forums can help you with pretty much everything else that she doesn't have on her website.
AZ 2011 plans:

Vriska - Homestuck
Char - re:Play (hopefully ;A; )
Amanda - Saw
Eira
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby xxLoveableAnimeFanxx » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:21 pm

Anyone know where I can find a tutorial or a site where I can buy Diva's white dress from Blood Plus (+)?
xxLoveableAnimeFanxx
Citizen of Macross City

Postby SlightlyDim » Mon May 05, 2008 12:10 am

Hey if anyone is having trouble with making Ed's automail I've found a great site that has wonderful tutorial but it's a bit difficult to make.. http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_automail.html She also has other tutorials for Axel's Firewheels, ect.
SlightlyDim
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby WatchMoreAnime » Wed May 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Anyone know where i can find a tutorial on how to build a flintstock gun?

I have thin-walled steel piping and alunimum(sp?) piping for a majority. It doesn't have to be OMGBESTTHINGEVA! just an easy to follow and decent result one. I need to have that prop to call myself rip Van Winkle. Anyone got any ideas or places? I've been looking non-stop for a long time with no results yet... T_T
What? Paprika is amazing? I know.

AZ '09 Plans:
A.B.A - Guilty Gear - 25%
WatchMoreAnime
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby nmaster64 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:43 am

Crap crap crap crap...didn't even think of this until day of con... xP

How doez I get Itachi's face lines?

nmaster64
Citizen of Macross City

Postby shinshan » Thu May 22, 2008 7:42 am

are they actually lines or just really intense bags under his eyes? for the former, you can just use eyeliner or brow pencil or something. for the latter, use a darker shade of foundation or a non-shimmery eyeshadow and blend it in so that he looks super-tired.
shinshan
Citizen of Macross City

Postby nmaster64 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:11 pm

That's what I was thinking. A brow pencil I think would work good. I need to find a female at the con to do my makeup... :P
nmaster64
Citizen of Macross City

Postby Zoe chan » Wed May 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Someone posted earlier about boot covers and I don't know if this is too late, but I didn't see any answers so I thought I might contribute what I know since it seems like a common thing. I get this cosplay magazine called Cosmode and they have one or two tutorials in about every issue, and this was one of them. I could post scans later if explaining it isn't enough.

Basically you take your boot and buy some really cheap white fabric or something. Then cut out a couple pieces of fabric that are larger than the boot and pin them together around the boot so they fit as tightly around it as you want. Then you trace around the edges and make note of any folds that are necessary since a flat piece of fabric doesn't always work with the shape of the boot. Usually it's easier to do the soles separately in the same way. Then you use it that like any other pattern.

I did this for my Ulala cosplay this year and again I don't have any pictures uploaded yet, but if you saw me or find some pictures someone else took you can see how they worked out. The only real downside to this method (in my opinion) is that you get a seam down the middle of your boots in the front.
Zoe chan
Citizen of Macross City

Postby xxLoveableAnimeFanxx » Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 am

Ok, people probably get this a lot...but I'm going to cosplay as an Organization XIII member next year and I need the tutorial for the Organization jacket? Does anyone have it or know where I can find one?
xxLoveableAnimeFanxx
Citizen of Macross City

Postby SnakeInABox » Thu May 29, 2008 5:51 am

There is probably no answer to this onexD but what the heck.

Does anyone know of any tutorials to make alucards black straightjacket. or the leather straps he uses ? (basically black leather straps that snap down with buttons on each end)
Terror Squad Seat 31
The Major Of The Tortilla Chip Brigade!
current plans for AZ '10
A Pokemon[0%]

I have a paper bag full of over 9 cookies! >:3
SnakeInABox
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby o01101011 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 am

xxLoveableAnimeFanxx wrote:Ok, people probably get this a lot...but I'm going to cosplay as an Organization XIII member next year and I need the tutorial for the Organization jacket? Does anyone have it or know where I can find one?

not a complete tutorial, but it lists patterns that could be altered as well as links to details and fabric suggestions.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=117394
o01101011
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Black Lace » Fri May 30, 2008 8:16 pm

:oops: I know, real dumb to ask - BINDING....?
    Is there a certain trick to it? and what about praticually see through shirts - ie - white...?
    He...Love you guys...
Black Lace
Newest Host in Ouran High School

PreviousNext

Return to Cosplay Q and A