• It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Wig and Costume Tutorials!

Ask questions, discuss design tips and find others to organize a memorable photo shoot!

Moderator: PuppetQueen

Postby o01101011 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:38 pm

>_> im starting to think I spend to much time on the computer.....

Cosplay.com also has an excellent crossplay section that covers binding. Heres the main binding thread:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709
o01101011
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Black Lace » Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 pm

Thank-you so much!!!!! :P
<('.'<) (>'.')> <('.'<) (>'.')> <('.')><('.'<) (>'.')> <('.'<) (>'.')> <('.')>
Black Lace
Newest Host in Ouran High School

Postby Zaverxi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Is there an easily obtainable rigid plastic that can be shaped, like say if you heat it up that hardens when it cools? Preferably white. I'm thinking about making a released Arrancar armor for 2009. I don't want it to be too flimsy or break easily, and I also want it to be reasonably light.
Zaverxi
Ectobiologist

Postby o01101011 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:06 pm

Maybe wonderflex? http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/wonderfl ... P_FAQ.html

Try cosplay.com forums for armor tutorials, there are a ton.
o01101011
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Zaverxi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:39 pm

Yikes, that's expensive, especially if I plan on using it for my entire body. Then again, I'm pretty short.... oh well. I suppose there's no helping it.

I'll search craftstores first, just in case. Thanks for the link though, I never knew that stuff existed.
Zaverxi
Ectobiologist

Postby rai-chan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:49 pm

I need help with this cosplay:

Yoko

How do I make this stuff?
It'll be my first time making my own cosplay...so any sewing tips are appreciated.

Should I use leather for her top and shorts? Or just black material?

And she has white leather boots, where would I get those? O_O;

Any help is totally loved.
:}
(⁎⁍̴̛͂▿⁍̴̛͂⁎)*✲゚*。⋆♡

Cosplays for AZ 2014:
- Punk!Rarity
- Taokaka (Maybe)
- Hazel from Alamagi (Maybe)
- Lucy Heartfilia (Maybe)
rai-chan
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Zoe chan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:49 pm

I always sort of assumed Yoko's shorts were denim, but I guess they do look kind of shiny in that picture. For the top I'd just buy a black bikini and paint the flames on. I don't think I'd use real leather for anything since it's probably expensive and I'm cheap, but I dunno what your budget is.
Zoe chan
Citizen of Macross City

Postby Kaji » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:38 am

Cosplay.com does indeed have excelent tutorials, but I have one qualm with them.

Gentlemen, there is a tutorial in their crossplay section about tucking. As I recall, it gives suggestions on how to cause your testicles to go into your abdomen. Under no circumstances should you ever do this. Why on earth would you do something that there are first-aid procedures to reverse? While I believe in free expression, don't do anything detrimental to yourselves, guys.
Follow your grape to righteousness.
Kaji
Jesus 3.0

Postby Erock » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:27 pm

Anyone have a suggestion on types of threads to use?

Picture this: a large creature whose arms will be made of pure foam, with handles for my own hands, since the body will be kind of wide. I will be threading the fabric of the arms to the body, and I'm going to need something to hold the weight of the foam without tearing.... did that help? Also, types of fabric would help. I don't know how strong Wal Mart's stuff is, since this is my first costume.
Erock

Postby wandering-dreamer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:31 am

Erock wrote:Anyone have a suggestion on types of threads to use?

Picture this: a large creature whose arms will be made of pure foam, with handles for my own hands, since the body will be kind of wide. I will be threading the fabric of the arms to the body, and I'm going to need something to hold the weight of the foam without tearing.... did that help? Also, types of fabric would help. I don't know how strong Wal Mart's stuff is, since this is my first costume.

If you want really strong thread I would say go with carpet thread or something similar, that stuff will hold up most fabric. And if we had an actual picture of what you are cosplaying it would make fabric choices a little easier...
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Erock » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm making a Domo
Erock

Postby wandering-dreamer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Hmm, something furry is what I would want to use to get the texture, but I'm not quite sure what that stuff is called, toy fur?
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Erock » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:37 pm

I actually found something at walmart. It's like blanket materials but a little bit thinner. It's about $3/yrd, but since I don't have the structure yet, I can't tell how much I'm going to need.

I've also decided to go with this velcro stuff for putting the fabric together. A friend of mine used it, and you need to use some force to take it apart. I still will need to use threading to stitch the arms and legs, but everything else should be able to use the velcro.

Here are my 2 biggest concerns right now

1- find a box big enough for the structure.

2- find some kind of see through red substance for the mouth. Something almost like those phantom masks but red. Any ideas where I can find about 18x12 (guesstimating) of that material?
Erock

Postby o01101011 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:13 pm

Instead of using a box which has the possibility of being crushed and will take up a lot of room for storage why not make a pvc frame? I'd be lightweight and allow the fabric to breathe around you as well as allow a custom size. Plus if you want to store the costume you could undo the frame back to its basic parts (10 pipes and 4 corner pieces and the fabric body)
o01101011
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Erock » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:28 pm

ha, yeah, that would be easier. This is my first costume, so I'm a n00b and such. Thanks!
Erock

Postby Kaji » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:53 am

I concur with the PVC piping idea. However, depending on how tall you make your Domo, your head might cause a lump on top. If you can find a way to support the frame from your shoulders, that might be ideal.
Kaji
Jesus 3.0

Postby Erock » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:22 am

Yeah, I've already thought about that. Since my field of vision will be through the mouth, I had to figure some kind of shoulder support. This will also help to support the weight with my shoulders too.
Erock

Postby o01101011 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:54 pm

This is a pretty rough paint sketch of an idea.

This would not only stabilize the basic frame further but the cross sections could easily rest on your shoulders, just make sure your head could fit between them. You could pad part of the bars or add straps for further stability.
o01101011
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Kaji » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:18 am

If you can distribute any of the weight to your hips, as well as your shoulders, you will find that you won't even feel it after eight hours of wearing the Domo. Weight just digging into the shoulders gets old quick.
Kaji
Jesus 3.0

Postby Erock » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:45 am

much preesh. you guys are very helpful
Erock

PreviousNext

Return to Cosplay Q and A