• It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Art Critique

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

Postby Zilla Senetai » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:14 pm

Hehe he is a male thanks for the response on the bicep. Nobody told me about it on DA, I'll be sure to fix it. I keep forgetting that I make pecs too big. XD
Image Seat 40 Image
Zilla Senetai
Emergency Food Supply

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:38 pm

Here's one I just did today:

http://the-diabolus-stone.deviantart.co ... -119132056

It's Asher from mine and my friend's project, The Diabolus Stone ^-^
+ Terror Squad Seat 16: Nurse Shizu +
Whoa, Shizu's coming back to AZ?! Amazing!
Cosplays::
Pokemon - Gym Leader Whitney
Vocaloid - Poker Face!GUMI
Vocaloid - Setsuna Trip!GUMI

Kill la Kill - Ryuko Matoi (first episode outfit)
Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby pancake-fong » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:07 pm

It looks pretty good. Two things, though.

One: I would love to see this colored. It'd be pretty freaking cool.

Two: Does he have a half-tank top shirt thing? The half-way line just seems like a line and just seems like a line just placed there. It doesn't really have any difference from the rest of his torso. (Though that may just be because it's uber tight and he's uber muscular...).

I think lighter torso lines where his abs and pecs are and maybe do the thing you did to his shoulder straps to the bottom of the shirt. (Make it go over the edge a little to show it's a shirt and not part of his body).

I hope that made a little sense...I usually yammer when I'm tired.
AZ '14 Plans: Emma Swan from Once Upon a Time
Me: Go team :rainbow: GOOOOOOO!!!!!
Little Brother: What? Team Rambo??
pancake-fong
Yuri-Pancake-Empress

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:16 pm

pancake-fong wrote:It looks pretty good. Two things, though.

One: I would love to see this colored. It'd be pretty freaking cool.

Two: Does he have a half-tank top shirt thing? The half-way line just seems like a line and just seems like a line just placed there. It doesn't really have any difference from the rest of his torso. (Though that may just be because it's uber tight and he's uber muscular...).

I think lighter torso lines where his abs and pecs are and maybe do the thing you did to his shoulder straps to the bottom of the shirt. (Make it go over the edge a little to show it's a shirt and not part of his body).

I hope that made a little sense...I usually yammer when I'm tired.

AH, yes, the line across his stomach, is SUPPOSED to be the bottom of the halter thing, and I forgot to darken it before I scanned it. Yes, the softer lines are supposed to be his muscles, but I fail at those so >>;; I'll probably go back and darken the one line to fix it.

But thanks ^^ It's one of the characters in a story me and my friend are doing.

And I MIGHT color this if I have time this week. 8D

Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby wandering-dreamer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 am

Alright let's see, first I would suggest you ink it before you color it since that will really define the lines better. But don't ink the muscle lines (it will look more natural if you use shading to show where they are instead) and i wouldn't ink in the fire either, for that I would start blending some red, some yellow, and a lot of orange to get a more realistic flame.
I hope that didn't sound too bossy....
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:29 pm

wandering-dreamer wrote:Alright let's see, first I would suggest you ink it before you color it since that will really define the lines better. But don't ink the muscle lines (it will look more natural if you use shading to show where they are instead) and i wouldn't ink in the fire either, for that I would start blending some red, some yellow, and a lot of orange to get a more realistic flame.
I hope that didn't sound too bossy....

Would this be for digital or traditional? Because if I do color it, I will be doing it using photoshop most likely.

Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby wandering-dreamer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:01 pm

The coloring? Both I suppose, I usually think in terms of coloring with copics or colored pencils where you can do a lot of blending and that's what I was suggesting for the fire since, if you look at a real fire, the colors aren't nearly so separate. Same for the clothing, the folds aren't clean cut from the rest of the shirt.
Or if you meant inking, um, ink however you usually do, cleaner lines can really spiffen up a picture.
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:12 pm

wandering-dreamer wrote:The coloring? Both I suppose, I usually think in terms of coloring with copics or colored pencils where you can do a lot of blending and that's what I was suggesting for the fire since, if you look at a real fire, the colors aren't nearly so separate. Same for the clothing, the folds aren't clean cut from the rest of the shirt.
Or if you meant inking, um, ink however you usually do, cleaner lines can really spiffen up a picture.

I'm not very good at inking on paper ><; I'm better digitally.

I just got some prisma markers recently but I haven't used them yet and I don't want to mess it up. I'm not a very good colorer on paper either.. But I'm practicing.

But I'll take it into consideration. Thanks ^^

Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby wandering-dreamer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:29 pm

I've found that a good way to practice coloring is to either get out an old coloring book or find some lineart on dA that the artist says you can color and just practice that way. Saves you time on having to draw something and it still gives you a real feel. Watch out though, markers bled so either use heavy paper or keep a scrap sheet underneath.
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm

Yeah. I planned on using them for my canvas piece I'm doing for the art council here. Mystery Art or something.

Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby Zilla Senetai » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:13 pm

wandering-dreamer wrote:I've found that a good way to practice coloring is to either get out an old coloring book or find some lineart on dA that the artist says you can color and just practice that way. Saves you time on having to draw something and it still gives you a real feel. Watch out though, markers bled so either use heavy paper or keep a scrap sheet underneath.

I have some linearts on my DA that are for free use. I'll link ya' to them if you need em.
And cardstock is a cheap/dependable paper to use for all sorts of colouring. :] I use it all the time.
Image Seat 40 Image
Zilla Senetai
Emergency Food Supply

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Ehehe... I have another one.

http://the-diabolus-stone.deviantart.co ... -119484993

Also from The Diabolus Stone.. Yay for self advertising. xD;;

I failed at drawing the house. I wanted to give him something to sit on and...xDD;; Fail..

His left arm looks kinda funny and so does his chin to me..But, I like how it turned out. ^^;

Your opinions?

Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby wandering-dreamer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Hmm, the position of his arms looks a little funny to me, it almost looks like he's holding onto an invisible piece of rope (not that I blame him, that would be a hard place to sit, you either slide off or suffer pain in a sensitive area!). The wings look nice but there's also a little something about the eyes that's throwing me off, I think they are a little too asymmetrical...
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:06 pm

wandering-dreamer wrote:Hmm, the position of his arms looks a little funny to me, it almost looks like he's holding onto an invisible piece of rope (not that I blame him, that would be a hard place to sit, you either slide off or suffer pain in a sensitive area!). The wings look nice but there's also a little something about the eyes that's throwing me off, I think they are a little too asymmetrical...

I did have trouble with the eyes too, and I was tempted just to leave the left eye out. Kind of to match Asher since he only had his left eye showing and his right eye covered.

Maybe I should give him a rope so he doesn't fall...

Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby Kuri » Mon May 04, 2009 5:52 pm

I would like some cold hard critiques on my art please @__@ don't be afraid to be harsh. I need some real, meaningful suggestions because I'm lacking in the critique department Dx not even my art teachers would help me which was really bothersome...

My critiques for myself - I need to study colour theory lol x__x and I lack depth in my work because of my lack of real life art experience. I can do real life art too, but I haven't studied it as much as I probably should have. I'm taking drawing next year which will hopefully help.

Thanks so much if you can give me some criticisms! T__T

http://iyagi.deviantart.com
Animazement 2011
- Artist Alley
- Megurine Luka (Just Be Friends PV)
- Touko (Pokemon Black/White)
deviantart | icon - amputatings@LJ
Kuri
Citizen of Macross City

Postby Psychotrope » Sat May 16, 2009 6:30 pm

If we're going to critique individual pieces, I'll leave a crit and hope for one in response. ^.^
My latest piece, I would love if you would please critique: http://deems.deviantart.com/art/Franken ... -122442469

As for you, Kuri, I'm looking at your "Chopsticks" image. It's really quite cute: the expression reminds me of Spirited Away. Wonderful gradient-cell shading, it makes it have great depth, and the detailed background really adds an extra 'oomph' to the professionalism. The only real crit I have is the bowl on the table, which is obviously drawn wonky. For an otherwise crisp piece, it seems out of place to be so obviously freehand. You should invest in a ruler and compass :P Great stuff, though.
Psychotrope
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Thread revival!

This is my newest creation, I don't like it myself but I'd like to hear some opinions: http://the-diabolus-stone.deviantart.co ... -126425961

And if anybody can find me a great tutorial on like backgrounds and gradient stuff, that'd be amazing :D

Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby Zilla Senetai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:08 am

Shizuka Kurogane wrote:http://the-diabolus-stone.deviantart.com/art/The-Demon-Asher-Colored-126425961

I like the design so I won't critique that. I think You should sofen the shapes when you draw muscley characters though. His chest is far too blocky then his arms look far too unmuscled for a muscular character. The shading should go further into the character's form. It should show more depth and curve along muscle and creases of fabric. I hope this helps.
Here's a link to a muscle sketch I think you'll find quite useful. If this isn't adequate you can try looking up 'muscle sketch' so you can study muscles a bit. :] Trust me the studies pay off when working with humans. It pays a lot.
http://nai-xain.deviantart.com/art/Stud ... M-72529169
Image Seat 40 Image
Zilla Senetai
Emergency Food Supply

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:16 am

Zilla Senetai wrote:
Shizuka Kurogane wrote:http://the-diabolus-stone.deviantart.com/art/The-Demon-Asher-Colored-126425961

I like the design so I won't critique that. I think You should sofen the shapes when you draw muscley characters though. His chest is far too blocky then his arms look far too unmuscled for a muscular character. The shading should go further into the character's form. It should show more depth and curve along muscle and creases of fabric. I hope this helps.
Here's a link to a muscle sketch I think you'll find quite useful. If this isn't adequate you can try looking up 'muscle sketch' so you can study muscles a bit. :] Trust me the studies pay off when working with humans. It pays a lot.

I actually have a book that goes that far into detail. Ironically(or not?), it's a book of drawing yaoi. xD!

I -WAS- going to fix that part of the lineart, but dumbass me went and locked and started coloring things before I could fix it. So I was left sitting there like "Crap. I don't know how to go back and fix it..."

It took me like..8-9 hours to do. Partially because of distractions. But I was using a tutorial and parts of it didn't apply so I had to adjust myself. xD

I'm afraid to work with shading because I'm afraid I'll put too much or something. r__r;

Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby Zilla Senetai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:44 am

Shizuka Kurogane wrote:
Zilla Senetai wrote:

I'm afraid to work with shading because I'm afraid I'll put too much or something. r__r;

Don't be afraid. Experiment. That's what art is. Trial and Error time and time again to constantly improve.

(BTW I think I have that same Yaoi book you're talking about. I collect artbooks.)
Image Seat 40 Image
Zilla Senetai
Emergency Food Supply

PreviousNext

Return to Artist Alley