• It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:18 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

New to Artist Alley Maybe...

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

New to Artist Alley Maybe...

Postby Lenalee » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:08 pm

I read all the threads already here and the artist alley policies and couldn't find the answers, so I'm sorry if they're posted somewhere I didn't check...

So I'm considering attempting to get a table this comic year. I've been doing some research, reading up a little on what's good and what's bad, and I'm getting really excited about this, but I have a few questions.

1. How much do tables cost?
I've heard 15 for half and 30 for a full, but I've also heard prices went up...

2. Would you suggest a first-timer start with half a table or a full table?
I'm not sure I want to start out with a full table not knowing if any of my work sells or not...

3. Table displays. How would I construct one?

4. If you've had a table in AA before, how well did you make out? Did a lot of people stop and look at least??
I'm just afraid my prices are gonna be too low and I'll barely make anything, or that no one will even stop to look.

5. I was thinking about making stickers to sell for like 50-75 cents each. What kind of paper should I get to do this?
Just a thought...

6.What price is too much for something and vise versa. I don't want to rip people off, nor do I want to rip myself off.

7. Anything else I should know/expect??
27th Seat of the Terror Squad
Maid at the Maid Cafe
Inhabitor of the Broom Closet in the Maid Cafe
http://www.RabidxToaster.deviantart.com

2014 Cosplay:
Thursday: Broke College Student (100%)
Friday: Princess Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles) 100%
Saturday: Snow Queen Elsa (Frozen) 75%
Sunday: Princess Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles) 100%
Lenalee
Accommodator of Innocence

Re: New to Artist Alley Maybe...

Postby Marzipan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:26 am

Whew! A lot of questions to tackle. I've only had one year of AA under me, so a lot of stuff isn't going to be as precise as others with more experience, but I will answer what it's like to be a first time AA seller.

- Tables I think were 80.00 for a full and 40.00 for a half. But I only had to pay for half of a half since I shared with my friend, and I gave her 20 bucks, I think. O.o And I think the price MIGHT have included the badge. I can't believe I don't remember this.

- Melissa and I started out with a half table, just to get a feel for the experience and to see if we would make our money back for the table cost. I think it's a good idea to start off with a half table and see how people react to your work and your prices.

- This I do not have an answer for. We didn't have one our first year. But I do highly recommend them as they seemed to draw in more customers.

4. If you've had a table in AA before, how well did you make out? Did a lot of people stop and look at least??
-I did well. I made my money back for the table and part of my supplies. I was extremely pleased and will be applying again. Lots of people came by, even just to chat. :3

5. I was thinking about making stickers to sell for like 50-75 cents each. What kind of paper should I get to do this?
- I'm not a sticker maker, but I'm assuming this would do fine. Buy a little at a time and experiment with them to see what works best for you.

6.What price is too much for something and vise versa. I don't want to rip people off, nor do I want to rip myself off.
- Ask yourself what you would pay for it if you saw it at an AA table and you wanted to purchase it. We found that some items were priced too high in comparison with other people's pricing, so we lowered the cost of our items, but not so much that we wouldn't make a profit. It's all about who has what at the other tables. If you're selling prints, and they're decent prints that you feel would be a fair price at $8-10 and you see a few tables down that someone who is maybe a better artist than you selling the same size for $5, you may want to alter your price to be more competitive. Post some of your work here at AZ and ask other artists what they would pay for it and you can start your pricing based on what your customers advise. That's what I did.

- Expect customers to try and haggle with you. If it's worth it, go for it, if not politely decline.
- Expect some to balk at your prices. There's always someone who thinks your merchandise may be overpriced, but not everyone feels that way.
- ENGAGE YOUR CUSTOMER. Say hello, vocally express that they are permitted to look/touch, smile, and if you can cosplay it will draw more people in.
- Have fun, don't sell yourself short, and be nice to your AA neighbors. ^_^

Hope that helps!
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Lenalee » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:32 am

That helps a WHOLE LOT. Thank you so much!
27th Seat of the Terror Squad
Maid at the Maid Cafe
Inhabitor of the Broom Closet in the Maid Cafe
http://www.RabidxToaster.deviantart.com

2014 Cosplay:
Thursday: Broke College Student (100%)
Friday: Princess Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles) 100%
Saturday: Snow Queen Elsa (Frozen) 75%
Sunday: Princess Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles) 100%
Lenalee
Accommodator of Innocence

Postby Marzipan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:34 am

No problem. It's hard not to wonder and ask questions when you're trying something new. But you will love it. I can't wait to do it again! I'm just glad I could give a little insight. :3
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Shenanagan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 am

Hello there! Glad to hear you're asking these questions early on. I'm a five-year veteran of Artist Alley, so hopefully my advice will be somewhat helpful, as well as Marzipan's too :)

The price for these most definitely went up, unfortunately. It is $40 for half-table and $80 for a full one. So, if you want a full table in the future it'd be easier to get one if you split the cost with somebody, or a group of people who may want to sell things at Artist Alley. Having multiple people behind a table is cost effective, as well as fun too!

I would suggest a half-table if the prices keep going up, and like Marzipan said, it's good for getting a first-year experience.

It depends on what you want to sell. If you're going for stickers, then you could get a cork board or bulletin board from places like Target and attach something in the back so it will be a free-standing display. I sell magnets, so I got someone to make me a magnetic display for them. I also had a friend selling stickers and she made a display out of pieces of styrofoam board. It all depends, but one thing you want to keep in mind: make sure you don't have a display that takes up too much room on your table, or else you won't have a lot of space to see or display your work!

I've done fairly well at AA, and over the years I've been making more an more. The reason being is that I mostly sell small stuff, and I price it in the single-digit range. You never know what people will and won't like, so make sure you have a wide range of work to attract a broader audience. And also expect people to look more than buy when you first start out. Friday is the day for this. Then Saturday most people would have scouted the whole alley and will be more willing to buy. So be encouraged if this happens!

I'm not sure about how you go about making stickers, but I would sell your stickers at at least $1. Having rounded numbers is easier on the customer, and on you, so you won't have huge amounts of change to carry around with you during the weekend. Besides, you'll make more that way too! You definitely don't want to short-change yourself for all the hard work you put into it!

It also depends on what you sell. If it's something like stickers, then $1-$3 is usually good. If you're making something like a stuffed plushie, then the price can definitely go up. I've seen plushies that people have made for $40! And people will buy them if they like it. So go low to attract more buyers, but not too low that you're short-changing yourself.

Definitely expect more people looking at first than buying, as I had said before. And also, expect to meet a whole range of different people. Artist Alley for me is one of the best parts of Animazement, you interact with people on a personal basis, and a lot of times you'll even get direct feedback about your work from them! So I would definitely encourage you to apply for a table.

Here is an article written by someone on Deviantart about Artist Alley for beginners. It has a lot of great information for people who are trying it out for the first time. http://news.deviantart.com/article/116754/ I hope this helps!!!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby storm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:16 pm

If it's okay, I have a question I need to ask. How big is half a table? Me and a friend want to share one but how cramped would we be on a half?
storm
Citizen of Macross City

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 pm

storm wrote:If it's okay, I have a question I need to ask. How big is half a table? Me and a friend want to share one but how cramped would we be on a half?

This is a picture of my friend's table from this passing AZ, she had a half table: http://twotigermoon.deviantart.com/art/ ... -211747728
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby MadameSlash » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:53 pm

AZ Cosplays 2012
The Great Saiyaman II - DBZ 100%
Night Class Uniform - Vampire Knight 100%
General Kunzite - Sailor Moon 90%
Mysterion - South Park 35%

My deviantArt account: http://pricelesscompanions.deviantart.com/
MadameSlash
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby christi-chan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 am

Other things that can be noted is to remember to bring snacks and drinks to have while at the table. Need to stay hydrated and want to keep up with the high energy that the con has. :) I didn't get me a table last year due to the unexpected price increase but I'm hoping to get one this coming year. It was such a blast and I did a far amount of business so I'm looking forward to coming back. ^^
christi-chan
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby fugglenuggets » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:17 am

Good luck if ya make into AA this year! I might be your neighbor :-)

Looks like all your questions were answered and then some lol but one thing I can add to the part about people you will meet is to make sure you explain a little about what you have to them.

Also, make sure whatever you set out, you don't mind it being touched. For example, I made the mistake of putting an original piece of artwork on display and one customer came up and started to scratch it and poke it. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy lol

But the most important part, have fun :-) teehee

Good luck!
fugglenuggets
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby BobGuy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Marzipan wrote:1. How much do tables cost?
- Tables I think were 80.00 for a full and 40.00 for a half. But I only had to pay for half of a half since I shared with my friend, and I gave her 20 bucks, I think. O.o And I think the price MIGHT have included the badge. I can't believe I don't remember this.

Table costs DO NOT include a badge.

Table size is 8 foot by 30 inches.
Artists Alley moderator
BobGuy
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Return to Artist Alley