• It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:42 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Not a "do you like my art" question from a newbie

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

Not a "do you like my art" question from a newbie

Postby DesignImp » Fri May 24, 2013 10:41 am

Hey everyone! This is my first post in the forum. What fun! I've been crafting for the last 3 years now and working the generic craft show circuit. Over that time I have found my niche and think that I would fit well in conventions like Animazement. And dang it, I have to wait a whole year for the opportunity.
I'm trying to do my due diligence and get prepped for the event. What I would really love is to find a guild, team, or collective of artists and crafters (official or not) that share the business end of doing shows in the NC area. If not a group, any individual would be wonderful. Just need a map to get the lay of the land so to speak. Promise I won't hound you with too many questions. Thanks bunches!
DesignImp
Shonen Bat Victim

Re: Not a "do you like my art" question from a newbie

Postby Shenanagan » Mon May 27, 2013 12:52 pm

If I saw this earlier, I would've invited you to come to the Artist Alley 101 panel I was hosting Sunday! You can still ask me questions though :)
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby DesignImp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks Shenannagan. Life got busy with school getting out for the summer and handling kiddo all the time. I just had my first con showing (NC Comicon) and it was great! I'm pumped and ready to get into AA for the 2014 season. My biggest question revolved around the jury process and how I can relate it to what I make: hats. I have Googled and searched and my list is still short of characters. A lot of anime has characters who have full flowing hair and very few have a look like Tony Tony Chopper that I can emulate. I read the BobGuy post about what they are looking for and the distinguishing characteristics of anime batman and Japanese steampunk. That said, I'm not sure if unicorns are Japanese enough and if I say they are My Little Ponies is that Japanese enough. And then there's manga, and video games, and so many crossovers. I feel overwhelmed and need direction. I know I know I said I wasn't looking for approval of what I do. But I'd love approval of who I do. Can you take a look? My Deviant page really needs updating so I'm posting this instead. Let me know if you have any issues. https://picasaweb.google.com/1023336869 ... mpressions
DesignImp
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 am

No problem! I know how it is with being busy, so don't worry :D

Congrats on doing well at NC Comicon! I also checked out your link and really like your hats! The biggest thing I would say about those is that having a good mix of designs will benefit your AA application. According to the jury process, they like to see that you have a variety of ideas. So if you made some My Little Pony hats, I would also supplement them with more anime and J culture-related designs. They also encourage original work as well, so if you also had really cute colorful hats with different animal ears or things of that nature, I think you'll be fine :)

I hope that was helpful, and best of luck to you in applying! ^^
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Return to Artist Alley