• It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Got a question for staff or feedback pertaining to Animazment to make it the best convention in the United States? Unload it here! Don't worry, we can take it!

Moderator: BobD

Re: Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Postby PuppetQueen » Mon May 28, 2012 11:15 am

DrGonzo369 wrote:Thanks to PuppetQueen and Marzipan for the Forum meetup panel!

;D

I found that the security and RCC staff members were a lot nicer this year than last year. One of the badge check guys that had followed me while being creepy last year was there this year but I didn't experience any creep. That's always nice.

Scheduling I thought could have been a bit better. Cosplay Chess at ten in the morning? However, I understand that scheduling is difficult and you can never please everyone with it.

The power outage made Retro Hell the best part of the con for me. Phil and the other guys improvising entertainment was great!

Thank you for the water coolers! Any way we can get them a bit more spread out next year? Mainly one on the second floor would have been nice. I seriously only went up to the ballroom level for water...and hell.

Pre-reg on Thursday was much more organized this year, however I feel that there is still room for improvement.

Some massive groups of cosplayers would stop to talk/play games in high traffic areas. Sometimes outside they were a bit out of control. I saw staff asking some to move, but others they sort of ignored. I know other people experienced this problem as well.

I am also VERY sorry if I hit someone with my wings on Friday. I promise I was checking my surroundings as much as possible. I'm human though (surprise!) and a couple of times I hit someone. I always apologized for it though or at least I thought I did. Many people ran into me and I still apologized.
Fan Forum Panel Host ||Terror Squad 36th Seat~
Cubone (Pokemon) | Fem!Loki (Avengers) | Zatsune Miku (Matryoshka) | Kirlia (Pokemon)
PuppetQueen
Local Polygamist

Postby wandering-dreamer » Mon May 28, 2012 11:42 am

- On the 18+ note, there were one or two anime labeled 18+ that really weren't (such as Dream Eater Merry) and I was rather confused by that.

+ On the plus side the wristbands were much easier to get this year so yay for that!

+I also agree with the other comments made about the drink stations (thank you!)

-And also chiming in on how the Artist Alley in particular seemed to get really crowded, although I'm not sure what to do there.

+ I was waiting in the registration line on Saturday and it moved surprisingly fast. I don't know how long it took but it must've been only 15-20 minutes all together which was great.

- I was sad to see the Manga Library wasn't open at all on Sunday since in the past that's where I've gone to wait for friends to finish up the con and it always seemed like the library was well used on Sunday.

- Since the craftsmanship judging was on Friday most of the winners weren't wearing their outfits for the awards on Saturday and I remember when I did craftsmanship a few years back there was someone who was there taking photos of everyone's outfits. In the future would it be possible to post photos of the winners when the awards are being given out so everyone can see them?
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Marzipan » Mon May 28, 2012 1:18 pm

PuppetQueen wrote:I am also VERY sorry if I hit someone with my wings on Friday. I promise I was checking my surroundings as much as possible. I'm human though (surprise!) and a couple of times I hit someone. I always apologized for it though or at least I thought I did. Many people ran into me and I still apologized.

Me too! XD I was terrible in the dealers room and I apologized over and over again each time I turned and hit someone. If I missed an apology I'm sorry too!! D:
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby vulpiepop » Mon May 28, 2012 1:35 pm

The con was a lot of fun this year! I didn't have any trouble getting in or out and, while it was crowded, I was at least still able to move around for the most part. I really liked the Kotoko concert as well!
I agree with the drink station comments. Awesome to have but it'd be nice if they were a little more spread out.
I think the main thing that I noticed though were the lack of chairs. There weren't a whole lot of chairs around, certainly not enough to accommodate such a large number of people. More chairs would be nice and probably more tables too for the people eating there.
Animazement 2013 Cosplay List
Totoro
Umbreon

Photos of My Past Cosplays
http://www.cosplay.com/member/313919/
vulpiepop
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Furikuchan » Mon May 28, 2012 2:07 pm

-From the panel-running side, this was the smoothest Animazement ever. I run the judo demo, and we were able to get in, do our deal, and then get out of the way quickly. We were given plenty of time for setup and teardown, even had a little time for our guys to warm up before jumping around for your amusement. :D
-Same thing for registration. They had the list of badges right there, the badges for judo attendees were all set aside, I was in and out, no problem. Actually, I heard that the panel badges were later moved to an even more convenient location, and I had just jumped the gun on getting them early, so, again, great job with registration and badge pickup.
-I really liked the 18+ wristbands and the tables giving them out were convenient. That made getting in to some of the panels a lot smoother than previous years stop-and-dig-through-bag-for-ID. Same thing for the peace-bonding booths, they were right there, you could find them easily, and it was a piece of cake to get in, get my swords bonded, and be on my way without worrying about security.
-Panels were awesome, I'm so sorry I missed all the Jacabal's workshops! If you can get them to come back next year, I heard nothing but good things about their panels, so yeah! Karaoke was glorious as usual. The karaoke box was cool, Kaji mentioned that quite a few of the files were missing, but he knows what went wrong, so it'll be even better next year!
-This was the first year that I participated in the timed group photoshoots, and the organization on those was great. I was glad that we had handouts with the times and places, so it let the photoshoots get even bigger.
-All in all, thanks to everyone for helping out and making this year awesome!
Furikuchan
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:10 pm

PuppetQueen wrote:I am also VERY sorry if I hit someone with my wings on Friday. I promise I was checking my surroundings as much as possible. I'm human though (surprise!) and a couple of times I hit someone. I always apologized for it though or at least I thought I did. Many people ran into me and I still apologized.

Thissssssssssss. I had wings twice this weekend, I try to make sure not to hit people, if I do I apologize, heck I even will go slow around people and say "Trying not to get you with my wings! Trying!" Just to help with a group dodging effort. XD

Good:
Craft was on both Friday and Saturday, all the Saturday slots I believe were filled up with pre-reged and most of what was left was some of the Friday slots.

Bad:
They had showed the winners last year so they could see what people had worn, they didn't this year. I wanted to see what people wore. =<
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby Daffodil » Mon May 28, 2012 2:28 pm

I had a great time at AZ this year.

Mostly good things for me:

+ Thanks Puppet and Marzipan for running the fan forum panel! I had a good time and enjoyed putting forum names w/ faces. Sadly my name tag escaped when the holder broke that night D:

+ Badge pick up was really easy for me this year. I also waited with a friend on Saturday and the line moved much faster than we thought it would.

+ I enjoyed the variety of panels. All of them that I attended were interesting and well run.

Suggestions:

- Relating to the comment about Art Auction winners not showing up. I assumed that I wouldn't be contacted if I won, since there were a lot of pieces. I came by often to see if I needed to rebid/won, so I knew I needed to come back and pay. I'm not sure if other people thought the same. Maybe reminding people to follow up on their bids when they sign up for a number could help.

- Microphones went in and out in some of the 300 panel rooms I was part of the audience for.

- I enjoy seeing the Craftsmanship contest entries. It would be nice to have pictures shown of what the contests entered. Maybe this could happen during the intermission as a slideshow?

Over all I had
AZ 2012 Cosplay:
Karina - Tiger & Bunny

Find me here:
http://daffodiln.deviantart.com/
http://charminglyeclectic.tumblr.com/
Daffodil
Citizen of Macross City

Postby double00beaver » Mon May 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Didn't really get to roam the convention much this year since I volunteered in the dealers room but that sort of brings me to the only complaint I had about this year: People stopping cosplayers for photos in the dealers room.

I saw this happen so many times during the weekend and it would literally stop traffic and no one would have any room to move until they were done because there wasn't much room between the booth rows.

From the few times I ventured into Artist Alley I saw that traffic jams were an issue there as well since there wasn't much room between the booths and the walls, especially on the side facing the stairs.

Basically those are my only complaints and for 2013 I'd love for things to be a bit more spacious and easier to move around without having to push your way through people or finding it near impossible to stop and look at a booth without blocking others behind you from getting past.
double00beaver
Squeeky-hime <3

Postby ShuJinKou » Mon May 28, 2012 3:40 pm

I enjoyed my time at the con, as usual. However I felt that this time around it wasn't so much that the con itself was very enjoyable, but that the congoers themselves made it the most enjoyable.

I know my entire group and myself felt that the panels were very lackluster this year. There were very little of them that we were interested in going to so most of the con was spent outside killing time for hours upon end.

The Improv group was fantastic as usual. I'd really love to see them get a bigger space next year because they tend to fill up one of the small panel rooms very easily and there are always a lot of people waiting outside to get in, especially for their 18+ shows.

The set up for Artists Alley wasn't bad, but it was always a hassle when people would stop for pictures and block entire sections of the walkways.

Opening up that entire section for the dealer's room was smart, as well as having a separate rooms for people to place large props.
2013 Plans
50sstuck!Rose Lalonde (99%)
Mori girl inspired outfit (100%)
Prismo (99%)
ShuJinKou
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby djkidna » Mon May 28, 2012 3:45 pm

ShuJinKou wrote:I know my entire group and myself felt that the panels were very lackluster this year. There were very little of them that we were interested in going to so most of the con was spent outside killing time for hours upon end.

Should've come to the Kamen Rider and Toku Talk Live panels :P
djkidna
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Marzipan » Mon May 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Daffodil wrote:+ Thanks Puppet and Marzipan for running the fan forum panel! I had a good time and enjoyed putting forum names w/ faces. Sadly my name tag escaped when the holder broke that night D:

Nuuuu! I'll have to make you another one next year. Don't forget to ask! :D

double00beaver wrote:Didn't really get to roam the convention much this year since I volunteered in the dealers room but that sort of brings me to the only complaint I had about this year: People stopping cosplayers for photos in the dealers room.

THIS! I wish people stopped asking me to take my picture. I would feel bad the times I said no, but mostly I said "ok follow me to a clearer spot." I feel like I sound like a jerk when I am asked and I REALLY want to say no. T_T
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby pancake-fong » Mon May 28, 2012 4:44 pm

The Good:

People actually showed up for my panel!!! (I was expecting like 5 at the most) but I got a decent crowd. And people came up to me at various points of the weekend and told me they really liked my panel!

The fan forum meet up. Sure, not a ton of people showed up, but it was still really fun (and I enjoyed it)

I saw some really awesome costumes this year (even though I didn't take a ton of pics) and I think this year is the most that anyone has ever taken photos of my costume!

The water stations! They were awesome!

I really liked the Artist's Alley set up, although there were times when things got a little tight. My friends were meandering at one booth and I moved away from them so I wouldn't be blocking traffic.

All the panels I did go to were awesome (excluding one)!
________

The not-so-bad (because I really have no complaints this year):

Did the dances end early? The schedule said 2:30 but they stopped it at 2:00. Or was that a misprint in the booklet?

There weren't as many panels that I was really interested in this year.

First, let me say I'm not complaining about not being let in the dealer's room on Saturday while I was in costume, okay? What I have a complaint is that I was let in on Friday with my gun but then on Saturday (same costume, same gun) I wasn't allowed in. It was just slightly confusing because I was able to go in on Friday. Consistency, please. I'm not sure if others had the same problem. I only went in the Dealer's Room twice in costume so I'm not sure what would have happened had I tried it a third time.

Edit: The guy said the prop was too "large". That's why I wasn't let in.
_______

The Ugly:

I'm not naming the panel I went to, but there was one panel that was hilariously bad. The people putting it on obviously hadn't planned at all. It was disorganized and messy. The people putting it on didn't even know their stuff and got things hilariously wrong. The best part of the panel was my friend making snarky comments (not loud enough for the panelists to hear, that would be just plain mean). A lot of it was along the lines of, "Why would you do that?!" We left after about fifteen minutes.
Last edited by pancake-fong on Mon May 28, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZ '14 Plans: Emma Swan from Once Upon a Time
Me: Go team :rainbow: GOOOOOOO!!!!!
Little Brother: What? Team Rambo??
pancake-fong
Yuri-Pancake-Empress

Postby whitless256 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:51 pm

djkidna wrote:
ShuJinKou wrote:I know my entire group and myself felt that the panels were very lackluster this year. There were very little of them that we were interested in going to so most of the con was spent outside killing time for hours upon end.

Should've come to the Kamen Rider and Toku Talk Live panels :P

Should've gone to Retro Hell. :)
whitless256
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby MyNameIsBobnotK » Mon May 28, 2012 8:01 pm

The Good
+ Registration seemed to go smoother for the Pre-Register line (Went to Pre-Con and bought my pass there due to the Hell that was Pre-Reg line last year)
+ Water-Coolers were always stocked and there was hardly any trash around the con in general (Props to Janitorial staff for doing a great job cleaning up after our messy self's)
+ Artist Ally was all in one place
The Bad (Not so good)
/ There was not that many panels that I found interesting. The only panel I really wanted to go to was the Late Friday/Early Saturday Persona 4 panel and I skipped it because I didn't feel like waiting 2+ hours doing nothing to see a panel that wasn't even 18+.
/ Artist Ally was a bit cramped even more so if there was someone stopped posing for a picture. (@Marzipan - I would have asked to move to a more open location if I was asked for a photo/asking for a photo; I mean, I wouldn't want to back up traffic just to get a picture)
/ Dealers Room (See Artist Ally above. Except a little less on crowded to begin with, and more to the pictures)
/ As it has been mentioned about the Water Coolers, one on the main floor would have been a good idea.
The Ugly (Horrible)
- Blocking the Escalators from the main floor to right above Artist Ally. I mean, come on people, that is a major pathway and you just can't stop there and block it.

As always the Staff, Guests, and Volunteers were amazing as always and I cannot wait until next year.
2013 (Planned Cosplays)
Male MC - Pokemon Black and White 2
Budget Ninja (With more planning this year)
Light Yagami - Death Note

2012 Cosplays
Pre-con: Jintan - Ano Hana
Friday: Budget Ninja
Saturday: Light Yagami - Death Note
Sunday: "Sir" Budget Ninja (Pirate in Disguise)
MyNameIsBobnotK
Citizen of Macross City

Postby oglop_master » Mon May 28, 2012 8:44 pm

There was one thing that I was really upset about, and that was the treatment of Homestuck cosplayers all weekend. I ran the Saturday night Homestuck shoot, and I was not at ALL happy with the treatment we received at the hands of certain staff members.

Our location was to the left of the ballrooms, at the end of the hallway. That was what was printed on the schedule. It was late, the rave had just opened, there was no one there, and we had left a path open for people to walk through if necessary. We were just doing our first pictures when a staff member pushed through the crowd, yelling at us that we had to move or she would take our con badges.

Now maybe we were blocking things. There really was no one around at the moment, but we were a big group, and it's a reasonable complaint. What I would expect to happen is to be asked politely to move, and maybe even be presented with an alternate location?

But no, instead we got a staff member who was yelling before she even got up to the front of the group, and threatening us when none of us had even voiced any protests yet. I was calm and polite with her, telling her that this was our location on the schedule and asking where we were supposed to move, but she didn't even give me the chance to finish before yelling at me that it was not, in fact, the location on the schedule, and that we had to move.

I was really pissed off by then, but I still didn't yell at her like she was yelling at me. I asked again where we were supposed to go, and she told me to go down the hallway, but not before yelling at the whole group that if we didn't move, she would CALL THE POLICE.

That was not appropriate in any way, and I am shocked and disgusted that she would say that to a group of cosplayers who hadn't even argued with her or refused to move. I had polite and respectful when I spoke to her, even asking the crowd to let her through when I saw her coming to the front, even though I knew she was going to yell at us from the look on her face. Nothing I did, and nothing any of the cosplayers there did should have merited either of those threats, and yet they were doled out without a second thought.

I also have to give another thank you to the staff member who, when we had to move a second time, moved the barrier at the end of the hallway so that we could do our photoshoot without disturbing the panels. He was respectful and helpful, and I really appreciated that, especially after the way the first staffer had dealt with us.

But basically, my point is that neither I nor anyone else at that photoshoot deserved to be treated like that, and it was absolutely not okay to be threatened without even bothering to be polite about it first. The staff is at the con to make sure that it runs smoothly and that everyone, regardless of the fandom, has fun. That is not what I saw in that staffer in the least, and if most of the staff is going to treat members of a certain fandom that way, they're taking away the essence of the accepting and open atmosphere of anime conventions, which is the reason so many people go. When people stop going, there's no more convention, and I know a lot of people who have already decided not to return.
Having trouble styling your wig for your next cosplay? Well, you're in luck! Head on over to Erin's Wigs and check it out!
http://erinswigs.tumblr.com/
oglop_master
The Almighty Banana Overlord

Postby Shenanagan » Mon May 28, 2012 8:54 pm

oglop_master wrote:The staff is at the con to make sure that it runs smoothly and that everyone, regardless of the fandom, has fun. That is not what I saw in that staffer in the least, and if most of the staff is going to treat members of a certain fandom that way, they're taking away the essence of the accepting and open atmosphere of anime conventions, which is the reason so many people go. When people stop going, there's no more convention, and I know a lot of people who have already decided not to return.

It's a shame you guys were mistreated like that :( When we at the BBC photoshoot were asked to be quiet near Con Ops it was for a legitimate reason. And we abided, so there were no issues there. But for someone to yell at you guys without provocation? That would discourage me from coming back for sure!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Se7enBishie » Mon May 28, 2012 8:55 pm

double00beaver wrote:People stopping cosplayers for photos in the dealers room.

I've had this happen in the past but I've almost always told them "Let's move to a clearer spot, so we don't block up traffic." I guess that's just kind of a common sense/courtesy thing.

Anyway, here goes:

The Good:

+ I loved that 30 minute buffer between panels. It gave me plenty of time, being part of the Judo demo and hosting my own panel to set up, get organized, get out nervous energy and be ready for the start, or to completely disassemble while making sure things are where they need to be at the end of the panel.

+ The variety in the Dealer's Room and Artist Alley...definitely seems a lot more room got used.

+ The water coolers...definitely well stocked and clean around them. I don't know if it was the janitors or the attendees being a little more responsible (my bet's on the janitors), but thank you.

+ Registration and badge pickup seemed to be extremely streamlined, which was awesome.

+ People actually coming to my panel and having over a half full room on a Sunday morning at 9:30...holy crap, I was surprised, but pleasantly so.

+ THE PHOTOSHOOT FLIERS! Please do this again! I loved this and it made things go so smoothly!

The Bad:

- Dealer's Room on Friday. I had to wait at least 10 minutes to get into the Dealer's Room, because I had an oversized prop (a mic stand). The room was supposedly locked and they were waiting for a key...ok, no problem. Only issue was the door was really unlocked, the person in charge of it just didn't turn the handle the right way or far enough...something. She said it was locked, but one of the yellow shirt security came up and opened the door with no issue without having a key.

To be honest...that's my only real gripe. I'm trying to figure out why my mic stand got peace-tied and why it was an oversized prop, when it was no larger than some wings, but that's not my place to argue, since I'm not the one who writes the rules. ^_^
AZ '03, '05-'12

Proud member of Omake Ikuze!
Se7enBishie

Postby whitless256 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:04 pm

+ THE PHOTOSHOOT FLIERS! Please do this again! I loved this and it made things go so smoothly!

A lot of the credit for that goes to Marzipan for compiling all that info! Well done, Marzi!
whitless256

Postby oglop_master » Mon May 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Shenanagan wrote:It's a shame you guys were mistreated like that :( When we at the BBC photoshoot were asked to be quiet near Con Ops it was for a legitimate reason. And we abided, so there were no issues there. But for someone to yell at you guys without provocation? That would discourage me from coming back for sure!

Yeah, I actually ran that photoshoot too, haha. I didn't choose that location next to con ops, though, I had to leave for a minute and they all decided to go up there for some reason. But yeah, that was definitely for cause, while the Homestuck shoot was not.

Also, another thing about that, I just checked the schedule, and there was nothing in that area (next to the ballrooms) that would have caused traffic until the rave let out at 2:30 AM. So there was really no particular reason to move us at all.
Having trouble styling your wig for your next cosplay? Well, you're in luck! Head on over to Erin's Wigs and check it out!
http://erinswigs.tumblr.com/
oglop_master
The Almighty Banana Overlord

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Mon May 28, 2012 9:15 pm

The 18+ bracelet procedure was great this year. Plenty of time to get them, open later so my friend could get one right before the panel, and the guy from Elite even made sure he wasn't catching arm hair when he put it on. Well done this year.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Dear Animazement