• It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

New Masquerade Rules

Got a question for staff or feedback pertaining to Animazment to make it the best convention in the United States? Unload it here! Don't worry, we can take it!

Moderator: BobD

New Masquerade Rules

Postby fadedxxlovesong » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Why are you now required to have made your costume if the masquerade is judged purely on performance?

I have like absolutely zero experience in sewing; I just style my own wigs, that's about it. Sometimes I will alter clothes if it's easy enough but generally I buy my costumes and I've participated in the masquerade 3 years out of the 5 that I've been.

I wasn't planning on entering this year but regardless, I was wondering why these rules came into effect if the craftmanship contest is a completely separate thing. I've just always seen the masquerade as something fun to do in character, never to specifically 'show off' my costume. I have always and will always be up front in the fact I commission my cosplays cuz I don't think it's something you should be ashamed of. To be excluded from an activity because you don't have the sewing talent when the contest is based purely on performance talent seems completely ridiculous to me.
AZ 14
Thursday: Masquerade ball version of Kairi
Friday:KH2 Kairi & Kyoko Sakura from Madoka Magica
Saturday: KH3D Sora
Sunday: Gou from Free!
fadedxxlovesong
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Re: New Masquerade Rules

Postby lathel veine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 pm

I kinda thought these were Craftmanship Contest rules...why are they being applied to the Masquerade? I've modified my costume but not 75% of it...I've competed in the contest for the past four years and the rules weren't like this :s Why are the skits being judged on costume craftmanship?
lathel veine
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 am

As I read it the contests are still separate, they just have them together on the same page with the rules together, I don't see the Masq thing saying you have to have made your costume, I see it that that part is for the Craftsmanship entry. Mostly because its droped down from that section.
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby fadedxxlovesong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 am

MinaUchiha2 wrote:As I read it the contests are still separate, they just have them together on the same page with the rules together, I don't see the Masq thing saying you have to have made your costume, I see it that that part is for the Craftsmanship entry. Mostly because its droped down from that section.

nope it's Masquerade...

"Lying or falsification of costume work will have you banned from the competition and all future Animazement Masquerades."
AZ 14
fadedxxlovesong

Postby Shenanagan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:51 am

That does seem rather strange. I've entered the masquerade when it was still just called the cosplay contest, and most of the time I either had help with my cosplay or just put it together from stuff I had lying around.

And yeah, it feels like the crafstmanship contest would be judged primarily on the costume, whereas the masquerade would just be entertaining skits and such. But it has been a while since I've entered, so maybe they're enforcing new rules now :\
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Marzipan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:33 pm

I don't know what's going on, but there is definitely some clarification needed. It does say under the masquerade that your costume must be handmade. But under the craftsmanship details, it says the masquerade is judged solely on performance.

You may wear your costume in the Masquerade and Hall Play, as the Masquerade is judged entirely on performance.

Source: http://www.animazement.com/costume-craftsmanship/
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby lathel veine » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Marzipan wrote:I don't know what's going on, but there is definitely some clarification needed. It does say under the masquerade that your costume must be handmade. But under the craftsmanship details, it says the masquerade is judged solely on performance.

You may wear your costume in the Masquerade and Hall Play, as the Masquerade is judged entirely on performance.

Source: http://www.animazement.com/costume-craftsmanship/

Thanks for quoting that Marzipan. It's definitely contradicting so does anyone know if a staff member or whoever wrote the new rules in the site can clarify if the Masquerade and the Craftsmanship contests are still separate things and the rules just got mixed up or if they are purposely being blended now and these ARE the rules?
lathel veine
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby Macross-Junkie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:59 pm

I'll check on the answer to your question, please be patient...
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction where ever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."
- Col. Tigh / Battlestar Galactica
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby Craftsmanship » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:31 pm

My apologies! The rules currently posted are in fact, erroneous - rules from another Masquerade the coordinator runs that ended up there. Please stand by for an updated version of the webpage.
Craftsmanship
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby fadedxxlovesong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Thank you! I thought it was extremely weird that you guys would suddenly change your rules like that. I saw the status on facebook and I was like oh I'll go check the new rules out of curiosity and then just ended up being completely shocked lol
AZ 14
fadedxxlovesong

Postby Tigress » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:18 am

Yeah, it doesn't look like the rules have changed. But I have noticed that they aren't allowing Western media anymore. Which makes me sad because I was planning on entering Merida or Lolita Cap (if I get the latter done in time).
Kat's Play -- Costume Artist

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should've been more specific.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Postby Shenanagan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Tigress, I thought they never allowed Western media? Or was that for the Cosplay Craftsmanship Contest?
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby fadedxxlovesong » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Tigress wrote:Yeah, it doesn't look like the rules have changed. But I have noticed that they aren't allowing Western media anymore. Which makes me sad because I was planning on entering Merida or Lolita Cap (if I get the latter done in time).

The rules were different but they changed them back and yeah I was under the impression that the western media was never a thing. Animazement's always boasted how it's not purely an anime con but specifically a con about Japanese culture (mostly pop culture, mind you, but touches here and there of traditional).
AZ 14
fadedxxlovesong

Postby Tigress » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:35 am

Depending on who is running the cosplay, Western media has been allowed. Or if "anime only" was on the books, it wasn't enforced strongly. A couple of years ago, I entered Sarah's ballgown from Labyrinth in the Masquerade. And my first year competing, I entered Rainbow Brite into the Hall contest and got a Judge's Choice.

I understand the motivation for the rules, but I hate being limited to just "anime" costumes.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Tigress wrote:I understand the motivation for the rules, but I hate being limited to just "anime" costumes.

Agreed. I think since now so many more people do non-anime related cosplay, there should be more of a leniency?

And I remember those cosplays, Tigress! They were so pretty!!!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby PhantomGamer » Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I agree, Shenanagan. I was really looking forward to entering the Masquerade this year after the lower-than-expected turnout last year. Unfortunately, my skit was going to be from Captain America and under these new rules isn't allowed. I'd actually like more western media at Animazement, though I understand that AZ prides itself on focusing on Japanese culture so it likely won't happen.
PhantomGamer
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Shenanagan » Thu May 09, 2013 9:26 am

PhantomGamer, I didn't go see the Masquerade for a year or two, and heard that the turnout was definitely lower!!! I wonder what happened? It used to be one of the biggest events! :(
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Tigress » Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

The big cosplay groups breaking up. Cosplayers graduating and moving away or just moving on to other conventions.

I may try to register at con and see if they'll let me compete anyway. At Katsucon, the rules on the website were "Asian media only", but the book had a "Western" category and a Western costume won 1st place. The worst that will happen is they'll say "sorry, no" and then I'll for-- ahem, persuade -- the guy I'm doing a commission for to enter as my sexay model. (Since that costume is Japanese.)

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Return to Dear Animazement