• It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Anime/Manga Recommendations

Come in and talk about things relevant to Japan and all it's glorious art forms.

Moderator: BobD

Postby WaffleMaster » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:19 pm

My recommendation for an anime would be Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (or just Higurashi for short.) It is based off of a murder mystery game for the PC.

On the surface, Higurashi seems to be a peaceful tale of a teenage boy Keiichi who moves to the small town of Hinamizawa, during June 1983. He makes friend with the local girls who go to his school, and join their club. However, Keiichi soon realizes that all is not as it seems in Hinamizawa. Especially around the mystery of the Watanagashi festival, and the curse of the shrine god, Oyashiro-sama.

If you can look past the creepy and bloody tragedies, and dive deep into the story, you will find many clues, both true and false, to solving the mystery of what is really going on. To get the whole story, you have to watch both seasons. The second season is called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai.

If you love thrilling, suspenseful series, and don't mind the bloody, and mature themes, you will definitely enjoy this series.
Cosplay 2011 Plans:
So
uth Korea (Hetalia)
Hanyuu (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni)
Sakine Meiko (VOCALOID)
Keroro (Sgt. Frog)

Pirates vs. Ninjas? Pfft, Magical Schoolgirls win.
WaffleMaster
Golden Witch Beatrice

Postby fatalxwounds » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:21 am

Right now I'm reading Nora: the Last Chronicle of Devildom.

It's not much, but it's very comical. Some action, but a lot of comedy. And like all animes....they have a busty chick as a major character.
Plans for AZ 2013:
Kiba Inuzuka ~~ Post Jump
Roy Mustang~~ Fullmetal Alchemist

We shall see about the rest
fatalxwounds
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby DrGonzo369 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:06 am

I picked up School Rumble Vol 1 today at Biglots and so far I recommend it highly.

Highschool girl (and not the smartest girl in class) Tenma is in love with Karasuma. School "Bad Boy" Harima is in love with Tenma. Karasuma is oblivious to the whole thing. Everytime Harima and Tenma come up with an idea to make their "love one" love them back, it fails. Coincidently enough, they normally have the same idea (or something close). Hilarity so far ensues.
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby Zilla Senetai » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:05 am

William wrote:Just a note about the previous post, the Angel Sanctuary Anime grossly compresses the first story arc of the manga to the point of silliness, as numerous characters are removed and the remaining characters are more or less rewritten to fill in the holes. Don't view the anime as representative of the source.

Agreed. It's too short for so much information. It's pretty much the whole first manga then some but in a very short bit of time. I hope that sometime they do the whole thing.

And *bleeeeeeeep*, I wanted to get Fushigi Yugi too. DX
Image Seat 40 Image
Zilla Senetai
Emergency Food Supply

Postby fatalxwounds » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:35 pm

The manga I'm reading (Nora: the Last Chronicle of Devildom) reminds me a little about Inuyasha. When Kazuma says "I forbid", the collar around Nora's neck tightens and they are not looking for 'jewels' called Soul Stones. Sound familiar?
Plans for AZ 2013:
Kiba Inuzuka ~~ Post Jump
Roy Mustang~~ Fullmetal Alchemist

We shall see about the rest
fatalxwounds
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Naruto2006 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Can anyone recommend any good anime? I'm looking for something new to watch because I can't find anything interesting.

Don't say Naruto or Bleach because I'm getting really sick of those at the moment.

The genres that I like are: Comedy, Action, Drama, Mecha, Kawaii (not exactly sure if this can be called a genre), slice-of-life, old school

I'd like to watch something that's available on DVD and not downloadable.
Naruto2006
Citizen of Macross City

Postby atamos15 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:14 pm

Naruto2006 wrote:Can anyone recommend any good anime? I'm looking for something new to watch because I can't find anything interesting.

Don't say Naruto or Bleach because I'm getting really sick of those at the moment.

The genres that I like are: Comedy, Action, Drama, Mecha, Kawaii (not exactly sure if this can be called a genre), slice-of-life, old school

If you like mecha animes I definitely reccomend Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Its a story of these two guys, Kamina and Simon, who after the planet was struck and the surface is uninhabitable, are living in a colony below the ground. Kamina however wants them all to go to the surface but everyone is afraid too because they dont know whats up there anymore. Anyway Kamina and Simon get to the surface and find out its run by this guy and his race of beings. So they fight for control of the surface and meet some very interesting and questionable people along the journey.

Its very good, and has humor action and everything an anime fan could want lol.There is an english dubbed version if you like the english better. I preferred the japanese version myself though.
"Don't believe in you...Believe in the me who believes in you!!!"

AZ 09' Cosplay
Alex Louis Armstrong !!!
atamos15
Citizen of Macross City

Postby Writing Otaku » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Naruto2006 wrote:Can anyone recommend any good anime? I'm looking for something new to watch because I can't find anything interesting.

Samurai 7 is an excellent action/mecha/drama, which I highly recommend. Es purdy, too.
Shadow Follower, Chaist Cookie Minion, Blue Team: Tex, Terror Squad Taicho
Image Free Hugs! :D
AZ '11 Cosplay - Mint (Threads of Fate) - Nino (Arakawa under the Bridge) - Mayaya (Kuragehime)
Writing Otaku
Insurance Liability

Postby Nathan Cross » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:07 pm

I've got you covered on action and drama: Peacemaker Kurogane which I synopsized on the first page somewhere and Cowboy Bebop, which I hope you've at least heard of. xD
Nathan Cross
Nurse Fluff

Postby Kaji » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:49 pm

If you liked Death Note, I suggest you look up Liar Game. More mindgame goodness.
Follow your grape to righteousness.
Kaji
Jesus 3.0

Postby DrGonzo369 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:21 am

Another Classic recommendation: Project A-ko.

Meet A-ko, a girl with superpowers and her best friend C-ko, the most annoying lil bleach blonde brat you'll ever see. The two transfer to Graviton High and encounter B-ko, who has an unrequinted attraction for C-ko. Watch as B-ko tries to take C-ko from A-ko and make A-ko's life hell. Watch as various classic anime is parodied (including Captain Harlock and Hokuto no Ken). Tremble in fear and terror as a surprise guest appears when A-ko and C-ko go to the movies (one of my favorite scenes in anime EVER). Listen as an AMERICAN composser and AMERICAN singers do perfect 80's pop (including one Samantha Newark, who I met back in November...you might know her better as JEM), even in the japanese audio track.

While not for everyone, and something that youngins won't want Mom and Dad to see due to some nudity and swearing, and sexual overtones, this is a true classic. The dub is definitely one of the better old school dubs from Central Park Media, and I recommend the newer Special Edition dvd with the free cd soundtrack and remastered video (the widescreen was a CROP JOB).

There is also 3 ova sequels (released as Love & Robots), and an alternate universe ova (released as Uncivil Wars), but I recommend the original 80 minute film over anything. Old Skool Anime at it's finest.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby atamos15 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:33 am

Can anyone recommend a good manga. Ive caught up with all mine and would like to start reading another. I really like Samurai/ Ninja type things. :D

AZ 09' Cosplay
Alex Louis Armstrong !!!
atamos15
Citizen of Macross City

Postby DrGonzo369 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:35 pm

For Samurai manga, I can't recommend Lone Wolf and Cub enough.

As a matter of fact, get the movie dvds and watch them. And get the Shogun Assassin films too (re-edited and dubbed versions of the LW&C movies). Shadabalde was actually in SA 4&5.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby atamos15 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks very much I will check them out =D

AZ 09' Cosplay
Alex Louis Armstrong !!!
atamos15
Citizen of Macross City

Postby L » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Blade of the Immortal is another great samurai manga. Here's a synopsis taken from Anime News Network:

Manji is an amoral swordsman, who has been cursed with eternal life. He has grown tired of living with all the death he has created. He has no skills other then those of killing, thus he forms a plan to regain his mortality: he shall kill one hundred evil men for each good one he has killed. The old witch who afflicted Manji with immortality agrees to Manji's proposition and Manji is set on his path to kill one thousand evil men. On his journey he meets a young girl, Rin, who has her own vengeance to seek against the sword school whose members slaughtered Rin's family. Rin and Manji journey together, each hoping to find some kind of peace. In their way are many varied enemies. Rin and Manji are almost constantly under attack and must learn to live their lives, avoiding being consumed by revenge.

There's also an anime adaption. I haven't seen the anime version, so I don't know how well it adapts the story.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=1612
L
Puchuu Army Commander

Postby Darksoldier2004 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:24 pm

I suggest Sgt Frog. Because Sgt. Frog is just that awesome.
Cosplay for next year :
Shadow - 100%
Riku (Kingdom Hearts 2) -100%
Wizardmon (Digimon)-0%
Shinigami (800 years past) - 50%
Sōjirō Kusaka (Bleach) - 55%
Darkrai (Pokemon) - 60%
Will (Pokemon) -55 %
Darksoldier2004
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby atamos15 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Darksoldier2004 wrote:I suggest Sgt Frog. Because Sgt. Frog is just that awesome.

LMAO!!..I saw the first episode of that the other day and couldnt stop laughing....

AZ 09' Cosplay
Alex Louis Armstrong !!!
atamos15
Citizen of Macross City

Postby David F Smith » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Kanashimi no Belladonna, or Belladonna of Sorrow. This is a movie I just stumbled upon, made by Osamu Tezuka's old Mushi Productions back in their experimental period in the early '70s before they realized that they could not make any money at all doing demented head-trip stuff like this. Eiichi Yamamoto, the director, did a number of other oddball shorts before settling down to more commercial work on shows like Space Battleship Yamato.

Basically it is about a medieval peasant woman who is possessed by the devil and loses her mind. It's hard to extract much of a plot from it, though, because it's mainly a showcase for 90 minutes of weird, weird visuals. The art style is like a cross between medieval illuminations and late-'60s psychedelic pop art. Fairly mind-blowing. You probably do not want to let your parents catch you watching it, because the sexual imagery is...uh...kinda freaky. Dr. Smith says check it out.
Assistant Hellion
"A 'mundane' is someone who isn't bats--- crazy."
David F Smith
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby DrGonzo369 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:44 am

Belladonna is indeed awesome. I pop it into my dvd player from time to time when I want something a little strange and trippy.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Reishi » Sun May 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Kuroshitsuji!!!

It has a good plot, and it's filled with those moments where you just have to facepalm. Not to mention the tons of random pop-out of-your-seat-laughing-because-it's-so-random moments. Good for both serious and comedy =D
Reishi
Wannabe Poetry Virtuoso

PreviousNext

Return to Anime, Manga and Nippon, Oh My!