• It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Anime/Manga Recommendations

Come in and talk about things relevant to Japan and all it's glorious art forms.

Moderator: BobD

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Clannad and Clannad After Story. Based on the visual novel. It's rare an anime gets me this worked up over the characters lives. Got me just a bit choked up. And I NEVER choke up.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby DrGonzo369 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Since I got the bluray of the movie in today, I'll recommend Gunbuster.

With Earth being attacked by a mysterious alien enemy, young girls are trained to pilot mecha to defeat the enemy. Only 2 girls have the ability to pilot the ultimate mechas known as "Gunbuster". Brief synopsis I know, but I don't wanna really spoil it.

Do yourself a favor and get the OVAs, since the movie takes the 3 hour series and compresses it into 90 minutes for the theatrical film (done only a couple of years ago). Be prepared to spend a pretty penny on the OVA dvd set, since ONLY the movie is out on Blu-ray.

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster!
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

read banana fish it is awesome!

Postby Gacktfanatic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 am

read banana fish it is awesome! I am reading it online and I couldn't stop reading it :D
Gacktfanatic
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Reishi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:05 pm

I highly recommend 07- Ghost

It's about two boys that went to (magic?) school together, and one of then can't remember his past. However, he remembers that the military killed his parents, then rebelled against them. He ran away and wound up at a church that has a sanctuary policy; they will shelter anyone even if they are criminals. So he takes up temporary residence there...
There is some shonen-ai, but nothing remotely hardcore.

As for manga, I am loving Pandora Hearts. It has the feel of Rozen Maiden combined with D. Gray Man with a little bit of Tsubasa thrown in. Kinda dark, but extremely cute at the same time. I like the characters =]
Reishi
Wannabe Poetry Virtuoso

Postby DrGonzo369 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:12 pm

His & Her Circumstance -

About a girl who is a complete fake who ends up falling for a guy, who's also a complete fake, and how they have to show their true selves to both themselves and everyone else finally.

Great highschool drama from Gainix, with experimental animation (manga pages, high def animation, a series of live action closing credits, etc). Awesome show and highly recommended.
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby Row Row Fight the Powah! » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:05 pm

I highly recommend Pandora Hearts.

Its about a young boy named Oz, who has finally become of age to run the family. He is also someone very important, he just doesn't know it yet.
So after he find an only watch on an underground tombstone. Soul Reapers
come to take his soul. But because of the watch he stole he is protected by B-Rabbit. Where afterwords he is sent into the abyss where he meets a young girl named Alice (who is actually the B-Rabbit). and she is the only way for him to Survive.

I also Highly Recommend K-ON!

The story follows Yui Hirasawa, a freshmen in high school.
She a lazy ass, immature greedy girl. Who is basically forced herself to join an after school club in order to escape boredom. So she decides to join K-on (Light Music Club). The schools band, started by 2 Other freshman. Yui think that it'll be easy. But boy is she wrong.
Row Row Fight the Powah!
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Re: read banana fish it is awesome!

Postby Tragic_Pineapple » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 am

Gacktfanatic wrote:read banana fish it is awesome! I am reading it online and I couldn't stop reading it :D

Ah, yes I've heard great things about that. I've always wanted to read it too. Thanks for reminding me.

I highly recommend Ghost Hound and Shigofumi. Ghost Hound is a mystery-type series with psychological overtones, it deals heavily with the characters' psyche. It's done by the same director and writer that did Serial Experiments Lain so if you liked that you're sure to enjoy this.
Shigofumi is about a young girl who delivers letters from the dead to people. The series is highly emotional (I almost cried at one point). It's only 12 eps so it's a quick watch.

----------------
Now playing: Pendulum - Hold Your Colour
via FoxyTunes
ANIMAZEMENT 2009 PHOTO ALBUM
::::: AZ 2010 Cosplay: Beat (Jet Set Radio Future)
Tragic_Pineapple

Postby Black Lace » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:07 am

If you're a fan of Kaori Yuki you should read Ludwig Kakumei.

If you want some manwha read The Antique Giftshop for a supernatural aproach or The queen's Knight for a light shojo.
Black Lace
Newest Host in Ouran High School

Postby earthbender068 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:05 pm

so i've gotten on a high school manga kick. i just finished koukou debut (high school debut) and ren-ai shijou shukgi. i started honey x honey droups but i couldn't find a reliable version, so i had to drop it. which sucks cause i kinda like it.
earthbender068
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby whitepearlmermaid124 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:00 pm

I hope I'm the first to post it here, but Soul Eater XD

It's about people who turn into weapons and their technicians. They have to eat 99 souls of demon people and one witch soul.
whitepearlmermaid124
Consumer of Choco Cornets

Postby Row Row Fight the Powah! » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:13 pm

@Pearl: I think the big ass Soul eater cosplay thread should tell you that its already highly popular and doesn't really need to be recommended. (no offense)

For comic book fans. I suggest this little beauty.

Its the First story Ohkubo ever wrote. Yes, something was actually made by him before Soul Eater.

Anyway the story goes like this: (Copypasta because decription it to hard for me to type in my own words)

Most normal humans only use 30% of their brains, but a group of people known as "Dokeshi" can use 50 to 60% of their brains, and thus have special abilities. These powers, however, come with a price: the Dokeshi must observe certain restrictions. Ignoring these rules can lead to the loss of something precious from within. In young Shotaro's case, he has to stick to doing a good deed every day! In the central town of Tokyo, he meets a girl named Mana, and together they go on a journey to find Shotaro's childhood friend Emine. Will Shotaro be able to do good daily or will he succumb to laziness on his journey?
Row Row Fight the Powah!

Postby skinnyp » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen these, so here they are:

Toradora!
One of the BEST romantic comedies out there. It's about 5 people, Ryuji, Taiga, Minori, Yusaka, and Ami. Ryuji and Yusaka are really good friends and Taiga and Minori are really good friends. Ryuji likes Minori and Taiga likes Yusaka. They find out about each others crushes and help each other out. My description really doesn't do it justice, but suffice to say I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a VERY long time

Ouran High School Host Club
Great comedy. A girl gets a scholarship to a really expensive and elite private school and goes. There's a Host club there who mistakes her for a guy at first and forces her to join so she hangs out with them. Basically just really funny and random.

Bleach
Now I'm sure this has to have been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing it, so I'm gonna add it in. Bleach is about a guy who gets shinigami powers and has to fight of evil spirits (Hollows). The plot gets more complicated and actually is quite brilliant. My main problem is that this show has pacing akin to DBZ :-/
skinnyp
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby noricherry » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:07 pm

I say kuroshitsuji. I loved the show so much. It's about a boy name Ciel phatomhive, and 12 year old boy who lost his family in a fire. Now Ciel wants revenge on the person who started the fire. However, Ciel has a "hell" of a butler named Sebastian who will protect Ciel his young master against any thing. Even if this show has violence, it still has funny and sexual moments here and there but I really think it's a good anime. :3
Animazement cosplay 2012
Strength (BRS) 75%
Marceline outfit 1 (Adventure Time) 100%
Marceline outfit 2 (Adventure time) 10%
noricherry
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Re: Anime/Manga Recommendations

Postby nokyo-chan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:25 pm

If you're looking for something cute, I suggest Azumanga Daioh.

It's about a genius ten-year-old girl who gets put in high school and the friends she makes. It's absolutely ADORABLE.

But if you like fillers, I'd go with Bleach. XD
Hooray for Animazement 2011!

Planned Cosplays:
Lightning Farron (FF13)
Shinigami-sama (Soul Eater)
nokyo-chan
Shonen Bat Victim

Re:

Postby CrayolaCrayon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:05 am

earthbender068 wrote:so i've gotten on a high school manga kick. i just finished koukou debut (high school debut) and ren-ai shijou shukgi. i started honey x honey droups but i couldn't find a reliable version, so i had to drop it. which sucks cause i kinda like it.

HoneyXhoney drops can be found on mangafox.com

Terror Squad Seat 17
Member of T.S.B.C.
CrayolaCrayon
~The Melted Crayon~

Postby wandering-dreamer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:56 am

I've been reading Honey and Clover recently and I have to say that I love it. Probably partially because it's odd to have college age characters and I just love the hijinks the poor starving art students get into. Haven't seen much of the anime yet so I can't vouch for that but the manga is an enjoyable, amusing and serious read.
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby BobD » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 pm

wandering-dreamer wrote:I've been reading Honey and Clover recently and I have to say that I love it. Probably partially because it's odd to have college age characters and I just love the hijinks the poor starving art students get into. Haven't seen much of the anime yet so I can't vouch for that but the manga is an enjoyable, amusing and serious read.

If you like the manga (I am currently collecting it as it comes out also) you will love the anime. Viz is putting out box 1 of Honey and Clover on September 22nd. I'll be very happy to finally have this in my collection.
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby wandering-dreamer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:55 pm

I actually got the first episode for free on my ipod but I didn't really like the English voice acting and the opening sequence was just odd, I was actually wondering if itunes had given me the wrong show. So I think I'll try it again with subs but it didn't catch me the way the manga did.
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby BobD » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:49 pm

wandering-dreamer wrote:I actually got the first episode for free on my ipod but I didn't really like the English voice acting and the opening sequence was just odd, I was actually wondering if itunes had given me the wrong show. So I think I'll try it again with subs but it didn't catch me the way the manga did.

Yeah, the last thing one would want is their serving of prawns attacking them. I haven't heard the dub yet, but I enjoyed the Japanese VAs.
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby firebreather » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:16 am

I've recently started a show called "Kemono no Souja Erin." It's based on the "Beast Player" book series by Nahoko Uehashi, the writer of the Moribito series.

It's about a young girl named Erin growing up in a village that raises touda, which are huge water-lizards that the country's military uses to protect its borders. Her mother, Soyon, is a renowned doctor of both touda and humans, despite being a woman and member of the Mist People. I've only seen 4 episodes, but it is simply lovely. It's focusing on the relationship between Erin and her mother, and how Erin is often the one to notice things that solve problems, though sometimes she causes them, too. The animation may seem a little flat at first, but some of the artistry is actually really amazing. The OP, ED, and music are also really gorgeous.
The Original Pocky Addict
firebreather
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Anime, Manga and Nippon, Oh My!