• http://www.animazement.org/
  • It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Art Critique

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

Re: Art Critique

Postby Black Lace » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:49 pm

User avatar
Black Lace
Newest Host in Ouran High School
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Phantasma

Re: Art Critique

Postby wandering-dreamer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Black Lace wrote:http://karma-flower.deviantart.com/art/Good-Girl-1-160855700

So, what do you want me to critque it on? Makes it a little harder if people just post a link but I'll give it a go.
The first thing that comes to mind is that the main girl's hips are too big. It could just be the angle, but her butt looks super huge when compared to her waist and the difference shouldn't be that big. But I do like all the detail you did on the background, can see how that took you four days to do.
But overall, what is the picture supposed to be about? Is this about a character and you're showing their story in the background? Or, well, what? Her cape screams superhero but I don't think that's it, the piece still feels a bit unfinished (have you ever tried inking your pictures BTW? The colored pencils look a little childish and inking could help out there).
User avatar
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: in front of a computer

Re: Art Critique

Postby Black Lace » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 pm

wandering-dreamer wrote:
Black Lace wrote:http://karma-flower.deviantart.com/art/Good-Girl-1-160855700

So, what do you want me to critque it on? Makes it a little harder if people just post a link but I'll give it a go.
The first thing that comes to mind is that the main girl's hips are too big. It could just be the angle, but her butt looks super huge when compared to her waist and the difference shouldn't be that big. But I do like all the detail you did on the background, can see how that took you four days to do.
But overall, what is the picture supposed to be about? Is this about a character and you're showing their story in the background? Or, well, what? Her cape screams superhero but I don't think that's it, the piece still feels a bit unfinished (have you ever tried inking your pictures BTW? The colored pencils look a little childish and inking could help out there).


She's like this because eveything that has happened is swallowing her up. She is supppose to be ab-normal and it's suppose to be colored like that. She never truely had a chance to grow up and actually live. She's stuck between adult and child. she's been a "super hero" since she actually could do something. Thank you on the imput. ^^
And I'll take critism on any thing.
User avatar
Black Lace
Newest Host in Ouran High School
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Phantasma

Re: Art Critique

Postby Zilla Senetai » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:39 pm

http://ZillaSenetai.deviantart.com/art/ ... -156751016 needs crit. I want to make her design more efficient.
I'll do a quick character bio so you can possibly help me.
Hazel
Green Eyes
Brown Hair
Runewitch
She's a sweet person but can have a stuck up personality if she thinks she's better than someone. She gets jealous really easy and is a little trampy (like you couldn't tell already...). She uses her BoomBroom to blast the competition and get a nice flight places. Since she is a runewitch she used the Arrow Rune, which means any design of hers must include arrows. Costume change recommendations are appreciated because I'm trying to expand her wardrobe.
Image Seat 40 Image
User avatar
Zilla Senetai
Emergency Food Supply
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 2:10 am
Location: South River, NJ

Re: Art Critique

Postby wandering-dreamer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Zilla Senetai wrote:http://ZillaSenetai.deviantart.com/art/Hazel-Flatcolour-Design-156751016 needs crit. I want to make her design more efficient.
I'll do a quick character bio so you can possibly help me.
Hazel
Green Eyes
Brown Hair
Runewitch
She's a sweet person but can have a stuck up personality if she thinks she's better than someone. She gets jealous really easy and is a little trampy (like you couldn't tell already...). She uses her BoomBroom to blast the competition and get a nice flight places. Since she is a runewitch she used the Arrow Rune, which means any design of hers must include arrows. Costume change recommendations are appreciated because I'm trying to expand her wardrobe.


Well, I have no idea how her dress and sleeves are staying up to start with (magic? reminds me a little of this actually) so maybe you should add some straps to the dress and nix the sleeves all together? Other than that I'm not sure what else to suggest that's practical yet still trampy (maybe you could play with some open back designs?).
User avatar
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: in front of a computer

Re: Art Critique

Postby Zilla Senetai » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:16 pm

wandering-dreamer wrote:
Zilla Senetai wrote:http://ZillaSenetai.deviantart.com/art/Hazel-Flatcolour-Design-156751016 needs crit. I want to make her design more efficient.
I'll do a quick character bio so you can possibly help me.
Hazel
Green Eyes
Brown Hair
Runewitch
She's a sweet person but can have a stuck up personality if she thinks she's better than someone. She gets jealous really easy and is a little trampy (like you couldn't tell already...). She uses her BoomBroom to blast the competition and get a nice flight places. Since she is a runewitch she used the Arrow Rune, which means any design of hers must include arrows. Costume change recommendations are appreciated because I'm trying to expand her wardrobe.


Well, I have no idea how her dress and sleeves are staying up to start with (magic? reminds me a little of this actually) so maybe you should add some straps to the dress and nix the sleeves all together? Other than that I'm not sure what else to suggest that's practical yet still trampy (maybe you could play with some open back designs?).

Lol. Don't need practicality. I'm making a manga. It's a fantasy world.
Image Seat 40 Image
User avatar
Zilla Senetai
Emergency Food Supply
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 2:10 am
Location: South River, NJ

Re: Art Critique

Postby yami ongakuya » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Zilla Senetai wrote:http://ZillaSenetai.deviantart.com/art/Hazel-Flatcolour-Design-156751016 needs crit. I want to make her design more efficient.
I'll do a quick character bio so you can possibly help me.
Hazel
Green Eyes
Brown Hair
Runewitch
She's a sweet person but can have a stuck up personality if she thinks she's better than someone. She gets jealous really easy and is a little trampy (like you couldn't tell already...). She uses her BoomBroom to blast the competition and get a nice flight places. Since she is a runewitch she used the Arrow Rune, which means any design of hers must include arrows. Costume change recommendations are appreciated because I'm trying to expand her wardrobe.

First of all, love it! I agree with you there, it IS a fantasy world, and the practicality of the outfit doesn't really matter too much, as long as it basically makes sense. Colors flow well enough for me, and I like the overall picture. Have you considered more in depth for the arm-warmers? Like, more shading where the tips of the arm-warmers end. Right now, it looks a bit geometrical, and it may make the arms look more wider than it actually seems. Everything else seems about fine. I like the arrow idea too!
About the wardrobe expanding, how about using the same colors but making it a more flirtatious but less *cough* trampy design? A dress flared and cut to about the middle thigh, but cute and not exactly showing TOO much skin, with spagetti straps or none. :D
~*No Emotion...means no love, thought, or hindrance to the history that must be recorded....*~
Possible (and certain) Future Cosplays~
Kanda Yuu-DGM
CC-Code Geass
Alice-Pandora Hearts
Grell Sutcliffe- Kuroshitsuji
Lala-DGM
Gakupo Kamui- Vocaloid

A character from FFXIII
Cosplaying Maka Albarn from SOUL EATER AZ '10~ needs a group~! PM me~!
User avatar
yami ongakuya
Citizen of Macross City
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Art Critique

Postby Axiroth » Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 am

So, I've been drawing for about 6 years now. A little over six. But anyways, I'm still trying hard to improve, so any critique is fine. I especially need critiquing on the bodies. They need some serious help. :C

Here are more of my recent pictures that I made. Any help with the body or how I could have made the picture better is highly appreciated. <3

http://axiroth.deviantart.com/art/Look- ... -161577348

(Please ignore how depressing and emo this one may seem. I was having heavy depression. I'm feeling much better now. :3 ) http://axiroth.deviantart.com/art/reBOOT-162794275
Axiroth
Shonen Bat Victim
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:39 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Art Critique

Postby wandering-dreamer » Fri May 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Axiroth wrote:So, I've been drawing for about 6 years now. A little over six. But anyways, I'm still trying hard to improve, so any critique is fine. I especially need critiquing on the bodies. They need some serious help. :C

Here are more of my recent pictures that I made. Any help with the body or how I could have made the picture better is highly appreciated. <3

http://axiroth.deviantart.com/art/Look- ... -161577348

(Please ignore how depressing and emo this one may seem. I was having heavy depression. I'm feeling much better now. :3 ) http://axiroth.deviantart.com/art/reBOOT-162794275


Oops, missed this one, sorry about that!
First picture, the muscle on the arm looks a bit strange, even if it was really defined the line would be different since only one of the upper arm muscles (think it's the bicep) should be visable from that angle. The person is a tad short, full grown adults are 7-8 heads tall, I was taught it was about 7.5, and your person is only six heads tall. And the kneecap is a really strange shape on the pants but that's about all I see in the picture (not sure about the folding on the pants but since they look like tight pants it's feasible they wouldn't have many folds).
Second picture, she looks a little wide, almost a little chunky, and I suspect that wasn't the look you were going for. The crotch of the pants looks really big/super defined as well, since the crotch of the pant is connected to the pant leg it doesn't need it's own outline or shading (usually, but we won't go there XD ). Also, I looked at some of your other pictures as well, but it seems like you draw tight pants with thick legs a lot, maybe you should try experimenting with other pant styles and folding for a bit of variety? It could be fun anyway, and these are all suggestions so don't worry if you really don't like them!
User avatar
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: in front of a computer

Re: Art Critique

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:21 pm

THREAD REVIVAL.

So I drew this to try and get myself out of a bought of depression last night. It worked, and I liked how it came out.

Tell me what you guys think: http://shizuka-kurogane.deviantart.com/ ... -168667542
+ Terror Squad Seat 16: Nurse Shizu +
Whoa, Shizu's coming back to AZ?! Amazing!
Possible Cosplays::
Hakuouki - Saito (Western)
Pokemon - Gym Leader Whitney
Vocaloid - Poker Face!GUMI
Vocaloid - Setsuna Trip!GUMI

Kill la Kill - Ryuko Matoi (first episode outfit)
User avatar
Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:02 pm
Location: The Celestial Plains

Re: Art Critique

Postby wandering-dreamer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:11 pm

Shizuka Kurogane wrote:THREAD REVIVAL.

So I drew this to try and get myself out of a bought of depression last night. It worked, and I liked how it came out.

Tell me what you guys think: http://shizuka-kurogane.deviantart.com/ ... -168667542

Since it's just a pencil drawing there isn't a ton to critique but the perspective on this is a bit wonky. One the upper body/above the waist, great, all is fine. Below the waist? Ehhh, it looks like she kinda twisted away and, when I tried standing up like that, it felt awkward. I suspect you did that because drawing feet from behind is tough but it would have been better if you had drawn the upper body facing more in the same direction. And I like the wind in her hair, very romantic looking.
User avatar
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: in front of a computer

Re: Art Critique

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:30 pm

I felt the perspective was odd too, but I couldn't find a way to fix it. It's kind of like a mid-change-in-position thing, but yeah, it does feel a bit awkward.

Normally I start at the head, but this time I started from the feet, which is probably why it looks a bit off.

I've never really done anything with a different perspective other than the person facing me when I draw. I've been playing around with some stuff lately to see what I need practice with.

But thanks :]
+ Terror Squad Seat 16: Nurse Shizu +
Whoa, Shizu's coming back to AZ?! Amazing!
Possible Cosplays::
Hakuouki - Saito (Western)
Pokemon - Gym Leader Whitney
Vocaloid - Poker Face!GUMI
Vocaloid - Setsuna Trip!GUMI

Kill la Kill - Ryuko Matoi (first episode outfit)
User avatar
Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:02 pm
Location: The Celestial Plains

Re: Art Critique

Postby wandering-dreamer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:31 pm

I figured it was probably something you noticed towards the end and by that point it is a pain to re-draw half a figure.
And you're welcome, sorry I'm the only one doing critiques though since I know I'm rather blunt about them.
User avatar
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: in front of a computer

Re: Art Critique

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:32 pm

I appreciate bluntness, because it helps to figure out exactly what you need to fix.

And yeah, I drew this between 11-12 at night, so I wasn't paying too much attention. xD
+ Terror Squad Seat 16: Nurse Shizu +
Whoa, Shizu's coming back to AZ?! Amazing!
Possible Cosplays::
Hakuouki - Saito (Western)
Pokemon - Gym Leader Whitney
Vocaloid - Poker Face!GUMI
Vocaloid - Setsuna Trip!GUMI

Kill la Kill - Ryuko Matoi (first episode outfit)
User avatar
Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:02 pm
Location: The Celestial Plains

Re: Art Critique

Postby Ichatis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:17 pm

http://ichatis.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2po5ip

Idk, this looked fun. Umm...would anyone mind critiquing this? I'm not sure if a couple things might be off...like his right foot(from his point of view) is bothering me but I'm not sure why. >.< Scratch that...his entire right leg just bothers me.
AZ 2011 Masquerading as:

Ace - Heart no Kuni no Alice (20ish%)
Prince Riku - Kingdom Hearts II (0%)
Draco Malfoy - Harry Potter (75ish%)
User avatar
Ichatis
Shonen Bat Victim
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Under a Rock

Re: Art Critique

Postby wandering-dreamer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:55 pm

His leg looks a little strange but I think it's the folding in his pants (and the foot also looks a bit odd, I can't tell if it's supposed to be a little bit behind the left foot or raised a bit off the ground). But to me the right arm looks stranger, the foreshadowing makes his arm look all balloon-y and his hand should have a bit of shading on it for all the lines. I really like the coloring you did there, copics can be so tedious yet you managed to get the details on the grass and dragon done pretty well.
User avatar
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: in front of a computer

Re: Art Critique

Postby Ichatis » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:38 am

wandering-dreamer wrote:His leg looks a little strange but I think it's the folding in his pants (and the foot also looks a bit odd, I can't tell if it's supposed to be a little bit behind the left foot or raised a bit off the ground). But to me the right arm looks stranger, the foreshadowing makes his arm look all balloon-y and his hand should have a bit of shading on it for all the lines. I really like the coloring you did there, copics can be so tedious yet you managed to get the details on the grass and dragon done pretty well.


Ahh, thank you. ^.^ Yeah I see what you're talking about with the folding. I think I just made the lines too thick. As for the shading of his balloon arm (lol) the picture turned out a lot lighter than the original, so I guess the shading is a lot less apparent. I was afraid of over-shading at the time because I was like "AHH LIGHT SOURCE WHERE IS IT??" but I can totally see how to fix THAT now xDD Thank you VERY much, I was BSing the grass : 3
AZ 2011 Masquerading as:

Ace - Heart no Kuni no Alice (20ish%)
Prince Riku - Kingdom Hearts II (0%)
Draco Malfoy - Harry Potter (75ish%)
User avatar
Ichatis
Shonen Bat Victim
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Under a Rock

Re: Art Critique

Postby xileoh » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:49 am

"I believe this is yer sanwhich..."

Image TS 19th Seat ~not a man!~
http://xileohp.deviantart.com/


I'M MAKING DOLLIES NAO!!! *PANICDANCEGO*

CHECK OUT MAH WEBSITE!!
http://WWW.LATENTARCADIA.COM
*shameless self promotion*
User avatar
xileoh
Amazing Win
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:50 am
Location: upside-down

Re: Art Critique

Postby Scooper2000 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:23 pm

This one is really nice. It has a great composition which is really important in studio art.
Image
User avatar
Scooper2000
Shonen Bat Victim
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Art Critique

Postby wandering-dreamer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:32 pm


It might be just me but the picture looks a tadbit blurry but I'd imagine that would be more of an issue with the scanner than the actual picture. Anyway, the composition is pretty good but I would've liked some more negative space on the left hand side (where his hand it pointing at) and his right elbow seems a bit low for human anatomy (of course he doesn't seem to be human so you could write it off as that). Like the use of the simple background and how it's lit up by the lighting.
User avatar
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: in front of a computer

PreviousNext

Return to Artist Alley

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 122 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:19 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest