• It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

The "Would You Buy My Swag?" Thread AZ 2010

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

Re: The "Would You Buy My Swag?" Thread AZ 2010

Postby Delicious Orange » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 pm

From the looks of this thread it seems like virtually everyone is selling crafts, charms, plush-toys, etc.

Is this usually what people go to the artist alley to buy? Does anyone actually go to the artist alley looking for artwork prints/collections or comics?
Delicious Orange
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby wandering-dreamer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:25 am

I go looking for prints more than crafty things actually but I usually don't buy fancomics (actually, never seen that many for sale at AZ). And prints are what people traditionally expect to see in an AA so by all means bring them!
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby oglop_master » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Yeah, I'd been wondering the same thing... I haven't seen much of that, but I'd like to.
Having trouble styling your wig for your next cosplay? Well, you're in luck! Head on over to Erin's Wigs and check it out!
http://erinswigs.tumblr.com/
oglop_master
The Almighty Banana Overlord

Postby plumster » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:39 pm

For those of you that do look for prints (and have in the past), what prices do you feel to be reasonable? For Animazement, I'd like to take the price points under consideration before I decide what sizes to bring :).

A few other questions:
* How interested do you think people really are in original works?

* Also, are there people who like sketch/ marker commissions? Have to decide what art supplies to drag along (as I'm coming from a few hours away) as well.

Thanks!

See you in the Animazement Artist Alley!
http://s-girl.deviantart.com

"Tales of the Big Bad Wolf", serial fantasy story udating weekly at http://talesofthebigbadwolf.com
plumster
Citizen of Macross City

Postby wandering-dreamer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm

If you set up cheap sketch/marker commissions and tell people to come back in say an hour or two you should get some takers, just have some examples on hand first. As for prints, I can't really think of prices right now but I think $5-$8 is standard for a regular sized print, some artists do "X for $X" sales as well to get people to buy more. And I like original art but I don't think it sells that well so I wouldn't try to sell just that at the table.
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Black Lace » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:44 am

Koneko128 wrote:Hiya everyone! This would be my first AA for AZ 2011. I was wondering if handmade bead figures or accessories would sell. Here's a pic of one of the things I've made so far:
http://koneko128.deviantart.com/#/d38lqao
If anyone has any ideas for accessories or bead figures let me know. It would help me out greatly. I have few ideas and things I've made like hello kitty, chococat, and pokeball.

How in world do make those, lol? That's so neat.
Black Lace
Newest Host in Ouran High School

Postby Kuri » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm

plumster wrote:For those of you that do look for prints (and have in the past), what prices do you feel to be reasonable? For Animazement, I'd like to take the price points under consideration before I decide what sizes to bring :).

A few other questions:
* How interested do you think people really are in original works?

* Also, are there people who like sketch/ marker commissions? Have to decide what art supplies to drag along (as I'm coming from a few hours away) as well.

Thanks!

Prints seem to sell best at around $5-$10, sizes varying from 8x10 to 11x17. Mini-prints are usually sold for cheaper. Some people sell prints for as much as $12, but they are usually quite large. Admittedly, I was only willing to buy one print for $12 tho lol.

I've been told that people like seeing original art, but I find it hard to believe ever since I started selling in AA...The first year I set up a table I had only original prints and there were plenty of leftovers. Then again the quality of my art was worse back then HAHA. Tho I'd say have a good balance in your material, draw what you want! Both fanart and original is good (: Personally, I don't really care if it's original or fanart. I'm more inclined to art if I think it looks really nice LOL.

And yes! People like any type of commissions! Sketch ones are probably best since they take less time and are easier to finish on the spot or during the weekend. Tho I also bring along colouring supplies (my copics and colour pencils) for colouring SD commissions, etc.

Hope that helps!
Animazement 2011
- Artist Alley
- Megurine Luka (Just Be Friends PV)
- Touko (Pokemon Black/White)
deviantart | icon - amputatings@LJ
Kuri
Citizen of Macross City

Postby PuppetQueen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Delicious Orange wrote:From the looks of this thread it seems like virtually everyone is selling crafts, charms, plush-toys, etc.

Is this usually what people go to the artist alley to buy? Does anyone actually go to the artist alley looking for artwork prints/collections or comics?

To add to what Dreamer said, lots of prints are sold and I personally always buy several of them. What kind of collections or comics are you talking about?
Fan Forum Panel Host ||Terror Squad 36th Seat~
Cubone (Pokemon) | Fem!Loki (Avengers) | Zatsune Miku (Matryoshka) | Kirlia (Pokemon)
PuppetQueen
Local Polygamist

Postby Delicious Orange » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 pm

PuppetQueen wrote:To add to what Dreamer said, lots of prints are sold and I personally always buy several of them. What kind of collections or comics are you talking about?

Well to be honest I'm working on a collection of illustrations based on works written by Nisio Isin (Bakemonogatari, Katanagatari, Medaka Box, etc.). I don't get the feeling it would be very welcome though; Nisio's work isn't well known or popular in the USA.
Delicious Orange
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby wandering-dreamer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:54 am

I know Bakemono sold pretty well in Japan so I feel like it's at least known on the internet but you're probably right. Just stock fewer of those prints and sell the extras online later on dA or such?
wandering-dreamer
Manga Supplier

Postby Delicious Orange » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:27 am

wandering-dreamer wrote:I know Bakemono sold pretty well in Japan so I feel like it's at least known on the internet but you're probably right. Just stock fewer of those prints and sell the extras online later on dA or such?

By that logic I should skip the alley entirely and just sell it online. It's admittedly an option that I'm seriously considering based on the overall atmosphere.
Delicious Orange
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Koneko128 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:54 am

Black Lace wrote:
Koneko128 wrote:Hiya everyone! This would be my first AA for AZ 2011. I was wondering if handmade bead figures or accessories would sell. Here's a pic of one of the things I've made so far:
http://koneko128.deviantart.com/#/d38lqao
If anyone has any ideas for accessories or bead figures let me know. It would help me out greatly. I have few ideas and things I've made like hello kitty, chococat, and pokeball.

How in world do make those, lol? That's so neat.

Thank you very much!! Though to answer your question... carefully one bead at a time. Lol. Jk jk. Anyways I'll be in the dealer's room sharing a table with someone and I'll have some there for those who are interested.
Koneko128
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby helloneko » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:01 am

Jumping in re: the discussion about prints -

In my experience, bigger sells better. I have 4x6 prints that never move, but my 11x17 prints sold very well at the last con I went to. Of course, it depends on price and the quality of the print.

I think if you're going for original work, it's best to focus on things with a recognizable theme - Japanese mythological elements, Gothic Lolita fashion, and zodiac characters all seem really popular. I think it's just about depciting something that people will recognize and feel a connection with. :O
"Blessed are the bewildered, for they shall not know the difference."
helloneko
Citizen of Macross City

Postby PuppetQueen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:50 pm

helloneko wrote:Jumping in re: the discussion about prints -

In my experience, bigger sells better. I have 4x6 prints that never move, but my 11x17 prints sold very well at the last con I went to. Of course, it depends on price and the quality of the print.

I think if you're going for original work, it's best to focus on things with a recognizable theme - Japanese mythological elements, Gothic Lolita fashion, and zodiac characters all seem really popular. I think it's just about depciting something that people will recognize and feel a connection with. :O

Chipping in with size, I always buy the 11x17 prints myself and I know many people who prefer them to 4x6 too. Also I agree with the original work with recognizable theme. Koi are also popular too. ^o^
Fan Forum Panel Host ||Terror Squad 36th Seat~
Cubone (Pokemon) | Fem!Loki (Avengers) | Zatsune Miku (Matryoshka) | Kirlia (Pokemon)
PuppetQueen
Local Polygamist

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm gonna be making some new products and putting them up here whenever I'm done. Testing the waters for hair accessories. :<
+ Terror Squad Seat 16: Nurse Shizu +
Whoa, Shizu's coming back to AZ?! Amazing!
Cosplays::
Pokemon - Gym Leader Whitney
Vocaloid - Poker Face!GUMI
Vocaloid - Setsuna Trip!GUMI

Kill la Kill - Ryuko Matoi (first episode outfit)
Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby Lainabug » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Hello everyone! This is gonna be my first year in the Animazement Artist Alley and I'm super excited! I've been crafting my heart out to help support my wedding in 2012 along with two of my bridesmaids! X3

This is our crafting collective!
http://nekowakusei.wordpress.com/

Also just to add, when I look at artist alley I usually buy a mix of different things! I love buying prints but also cute crafts X3
Lainabug
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Koneko128 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 am

Ok, so I'm trying something new. I thought I might try selling this item http://koneko128.deviantart.com/#/d3dq722
Here is a random picture of one that has a better look. Though letting you know this was not made by me, but I am able to make one with similar colors http://www.biyo-blog.com/media/540/%E5%B8%83%E3%81%9E%E3%81%86%E3%82%8A.JPG
Also what would be 2 shoes size for each gender. I was thinking for the female size 7 and size 9. I'm not sure about the guys size though. Let me know what you guys think and what color might sell.
Koneko128
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby plumster » Wed May 04, 2011 10:15 am

I'm kind of curious as to whether a lot of people still have cell phones that allow charms to be attached or if I should perhaps bring more spare keyrings?

I have a bunch of acrylic charms that I designed . I can turn them into keyrings fairly easily if I bring the parts , but am curious if people think that more people will go for a cell phone cord over a keyring option.

You can see the designs if you click:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lknlspQ3Bx1qdfezjo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1304604680&Signature=bNe4J9Cl06hV4g1JLUonOHnShvU%3D

The dimensions of the left 3 charms are 1.25 inches. The right are like 3/4 inch I think.

"Tales of the Big Bad Wolf", serial fantasy story udating weekly at http://talesofthebigbadwolf.com
plumster
Citizen of Macross City

Postby Shizuka Kurogane » Wed May 04, 2011 10:53 am

See I adore phone charms and I make them as well.. but most of the newer phones nowadays are getting rid of the slot to hold them :(

But, the Nintendo DS and -some- cameras have slots for them, so I think I will continue making them.. I think PSPs have a place for them as well.

I'd bring the spare keyrings just in case. ^^ I have a whole pack myself.
+ Terror Squad Seat 16: Nurse Shizu +
Whoa, Shizu's coming back to AZ?! Amazing!
Cosplays::
Pokemon - Gym Leader Whitney
Vocaloid - Poker Face!GUMI
Vocaloid - Setsuna Trip!GUMI

Kill la Kill - Ryuko Matoi (first episode outfit)
Shizuka Kurogane
Okami Amaterasu

Postby plumster » Wed May 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Shizuka Kurogane wrote:I'd bring the spare keyrings just in case. ^^ I have a whole pack myself.

Yeah, it's really frustrating to me as I love charms and I can attach them to other things like cameras, Wiimotes, etc, but most people don't translate the "Oh this can be used for that" all that well.

I have about 15 spare split rings, but think I might go stock up on more. Oh - one other thing you could think about are making them into zipper pulls. Putting the items on a lobster claw will actually let people swap them from phone card to zipper or to other purposes like charm bracelets.

It's just more hardware to bring though and the more types of clasps you have, the more tools you have to bring. Since I'm not a jeweler, I try to stay awaaaaayyyy from making too many options that require more types of tools and such. (Plus I don't want to be lugging a lot of tools on top of the 2D stuff.)

But thanks for your input! This is good stuff to think through.

plumster
Citizen of Macross City

PreviousNext

Return to Artist Alley