• It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:53 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Wig and Costume Tutorials!

Ask questions, discuss design tips and find others to organize a memorable photo shoot!

Moderator: PuppetQueen

Re: Wig Tutorials & FAQs

Postby Quicksilver95 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:51 pm

MinaUchiha2 wrote:
Quicksilver95 wrote:Uhmm Can I ask how to make a wig if I can't find it anywhere else?

Well is it the color you're having trouble finding or the style?
If it's just a style you can normally just buy a base wig and style it yourself. ^^

Its Both. I can never find a good Style or color for Lexeus. Another one is Link. Would I want to Just make the hair pieces to come out of the hat. Also I don't know how to style a wig.
Cosplays for AZ 15:
I am working on:
Kaito: 100%

I want for future AZ's
Sosuke Aizen: 18%
Link: 0%
Ikasoruk Ogihci: 0%
Kisame Hoshigaki: 15%

Quicksilver95
Newest Host in Ouran High School

Postby banvoic3 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Quicksilver95 wrote:Its Both. I can never find a good Style or color for Lexeus. Another one is Link. Would I want to Just make the hair pieces to come out of the hat. Also I don't know how to style a wig.

Well the best tutorial I've seen so far for styling a wig would be here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3qbBuyHMt4

You could also get your wigs commissioned or get someone else to style it for you because that's what I normally do. If you decide to do commissions then I recommend either Sakura Wigs or GSTQfashions.
AZ'14
Hoka Inumuta (Kill la Kill)
Fact Core (Portal 2)
Otacon (MGS2)
Tokiya Ichinose (Uta-Pri)
banvoic3

Postby Quicksilver95 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:28 pm

banvoic3 wrote:
Quicksilver95 wrote:Its Both. I can never find a good Style or color for Lexeus. Another one is Link. Would I want to Just make the hair pieces to come out of the hat. Also I don't know how to style a wig.

Well the best tutorial I've seen so far for styling a wig would be here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3qbBuyHMt4

You could also get your wigs commissioned or get someone else to style it for you because that's what I normally do. If you decide to do commissions then I recommend either Sakura Wigs or GSTQfashions.

Thanks for helping me out with this.
Cosplays for AZ 15:
I am working on:

I want for future AZ's

Quicksilver95

Postby banvoic3 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Quicksilver95 wrote:Thanks for helping me out with this.

No problem. :3 Always a pleasure to help out.
AZ'14
Hoka Inumuta (Kill la Kill)
Fact Core (Portal 2)
Otacon (MGS2)
Tokiya Ichinose (Uta-Pri)
banvoic3

Re: Costume Tutorials!

Postby cheese0master » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Does anyone know how to make Nia's Pre-Time Skip dress/outfit?
They call me Boat...and you can call me that.
cheese0master
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Leighton Darko » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:38 am

SOOOO, umm, I hope this question belongs here, because I have it like burning. D:

This handsome fellow here?... http://www.el33tonline.com/images/cache/15006.JPG
Let me re-iterate how short his hair is... http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/imag ... 2_Cole.jpg !!!

Basically -- I'm a chick, herp derp, and I have no desire to shave my head or anything, but I really want to cosplay Cole like no tomorrow. I'm still new to cosplaying/wigs/etc... I guess my question is, how on earth can I replicate his hair? Do they make wigs that short? Is there some kind of.. I don't know, short-hair-cap-thing I could wear? Am I just out of luck? My hair isn't really ~long~, but it's way too long for his character. I've seen a picture of a girl cosplaying Cole with really long hair, and it frankly looked really stupid to me. I don't want to go that route. :|

Any help/input/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
per me, miseria est ergo lamento ego
Leighton Darko

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:36 am

That is a hard one... I would say either buy a short wig and just trim it till you have 2 or 3 inches of hair so you can't see through it to your hair.
Or buy a bald cap and paint the hair on? Like taking a brush and dabbing the paint on just its tips and than dabbing it around on the cap?
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby Quicksilver95 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:15 pm

MinaUchiha2 wrote:That is a hard one... I would say either buy a short wig and just trim it till you have 2 or 3 inches of hair so you can't see through it to your hair.
Or buy a bald cap and paint the hair on? Like taking a brush and dabbing the paint on just its tips and than dabbing it around on the cap?

A stiple Sponge would work great for doing stuff like that. Thats how Theater puts Facial hair on people is with Stiple Sponges. {I hope I spelled Stiple Sponge right} I'm Reletively good with Fantasy make-up for things like Scars, Burns, Cuts, Facial Hair, etc.
Cosplays for AZ 15:
I am working on:

I want for future AZ's

Quicksilver95

Postby wolf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Mina and Quick's suggestions will probably be your best bet.
Just make sure you try both out with plenty of time to spare before the event that way you can make sure it looks fine and allow time for a different alternative.

Also, can we add Milanoo to the do not buy anything from EVER list. All you have to do is look up the reviews for them.
'13 Cosplays:
Thurs: nothing, I'm lazy~
Fri: Asuka - NGE 100%
Sat: Rikka - Chuu2
Sun: Yuno Gasai - Mirai Nikki
wolf
Elite Beat Agent

Postby Leighton Darko » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:21 pm

MinaUchiha2 wrote:That is a hard one... I would say either buy a short wig and just trim it till you have 2 or 3 inches of hair so you can't see through it to your hair.

I was thinking about the first method today while I was driving around. I'd much rather try that, since I'm afraid painting hair onto a bald cap might not look too realistic up close. I might try both.

Question, though, if I trimmed the hair short, wouldn't the lace stuff under the hair show through? I'm thinking the only way around that would be to leave a bit of hair, as you said, and maybe try to style it so that it's hidden. I'm not really sure of the "anatomy" of wigs considering I only have one that isn't too short XD;;

Thank you for your suggestions, guys <3

Here's another question, for a different cosplay: is the website AliExpress trustworthy/safe for buying wigs? I found the perfect one for another character, for a really great price, but I've heard mixed reviews about the place... it's like it's too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Leighton Darko

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:44 pm

As long as you leave enough length on it, it'll be ok. One of the wigs my friend has that we use is mostly not even 2 inches in length, just look for a good thick short base wig and just carefully trim it up. ^^
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby Quicksilver95 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09 pm

jannypan wrote:I can never find a good Style or color for Lexeus. Another one is Link. Would I want to Just make the hair pieces to come out of the hat. Also I don't know how to style a wig.Rift Platinum
Tera Gold
Rift Plat

I'm looking for Link and Lexeus too, also like I said Leighton. Stiple Sponge. Using a Stiple Sponge is not Painting its more like Make-up, but if you wanna do the wig idea go on ahead.
Cosplays for AZ 15:
I am working on:

I want for future AZ's

Quicksilver95

Postby oglop_master » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:54 am

I recommend FM-Anime for wigs unless you have a larger head. :3

Other than that, I'm having trouble finding a Raikou wig. His hair looks like this (on right) and this, and I've found plenty of good wigs in that colour and style in the front... but none in a ponytail. I'm looking for a website that has either a pink wig in that colour with a thick pony that's not down, or a website that has the colour in a clip-on pony and in a wig as well. The closest I've found is this pony on Arda, but I'd really have to butcher it to get it to work (and it's kind of expensive to be buying with a wig as well).

EDIT: Nevermind, just realised how short that pony is. I'm considering this one, but I'm still not sure... I'm worried about the bangs since they're kind of off to one side, and his don't do that.
Having trouble styling your wig for your next cosplay? Well, you're in luck! Head on over to Erin's Wigs and check it out!
http://erinswigs.tumblr.com/
oglop_master
The Almighty Banana Overlord

Postby wolf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 am

oglop_master wrote:Other than that, I'm having trouble finding a Raikou wig.

Honestly, the way I'd go about that is finding a base that's rather thick, Arda is your best bet, try one with long straight bangs. Pull it up, to get a general idea and then sew in wefts accordingly. The Lacus wig just seems like overkill.. plus the way that hairline for the bangs was put into the wig it's not going to look right for the character you're going for.
That's just my two cents, g'luck~!
'13 Cosplays:
wolf
Elite Beat Agent

Postby oglop_master » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Yeah, you're probably right... Does Arda have any wefts to sew in? They have clip-on bangs, I see, but I don't see any wefts, and their colours are pretty unique...
Having trouble styling your wig for your next cosplay? Well, you're in luck! Head on over to Erin's Wigs and check it out!
http://erinswigs.tumblr.com/
oglop_master
The Almighty Banana Overlord

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:32 pm

oglop_master wrote:Yeah, you're probably right... Does Arda have any wefts to sew in? They have clip-on bangs, I see, but I don't see any wefts, and their colours are pretty unique...

If they don't, you can always buy the extensions and make them into wefts, it's not that hard, youtube and DA have several good tutorials on how to. I know some people who just get an extra long wig and cut off what they don't need and use the extra length they cut and turn them into wefts, for some it's cheaper and you don't have to worry about color difference.
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby Leighton Darko » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Quicksilver95 wrote:I'm looking for Link and Lexeus too, also like I said Leighton. Stiple Sponge. Using a Stiple Sponge is not Painting its more like Make-up, but if you wanna do the wig idea go on ahead.

Derp, I overlooked the stiple sponge part and thought it was just painting. Hmm... that does seem like it would work pretty well, but I'd still be a bit afraid that once someone got closer, they could see that it wasn't hair and was just paint. Unless there's some way to put 'projecting areas' onto a bald cap short of gluing hair onto it. XD;;
Leighton Darko

Postby wolf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:39 pm

MinaUchiha2 wrote: I know some people who just get an extra long wig and cut off what they don't need and use the extra length they cut and turn them into wefts, for some it's cheaper and you don't have to worry about color difference.

Do this!
That's how I do it for all my wigs and my commissions. :3
Then there's no fear of color difference as mentioned.
All you have to do is cut them out of the "weft" wig. Go to Sally's Beauty and buy a curved wefting needle and they have wefting thread.. it's all relatively cheap. Then section off where you want the wefts and sew them onto the wig.
I can provide a photo tutorial if needed. x3
'13 Cosplays:
wolf
Elite Beat Agent

Postby Quicksilver95 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Leighton Darko wrote:
Quicksilver95 wrote:I'm looking for Link and Lexeus too, also like I said Leighton. Stiple Sponge. Using a Stiple Sponge is not Painting its more like Make-up, but if you wanna do the wig idea go on ahead.

Derp, I overlooked the stiple sponge part and thought it was just painting. Hmm... that does seem like it would work pretty well, but I'd still be a bit afraid that once someone got closer, they could see that it wasn't hair and was just paint. Unless there's some way to put 'projecting areas' onto a bald cap short of gluing hair onto it. XD;;

XD I Believe that just applying the Stiple sponge a little more heavily should make it Project the way you need it. And it looks very Real Close Up.
Cosplays for AZ 15:
I am working on:

I want for future AZ's

Quicksilver95

Re: Costume Tutorials!

Postby MissCookie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:45 am

Here's a useful tutorial I found for coloring your eyebrows~!

http://hylian-dragoness.deviantart.com/ ... -179884429
AZ '13 Cosplays:

Timmy Turner - Fairly Odd Parents
A6I4!Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Kururi Orihara - Durarara!!
Adult!Ib - Ib

http://xin-my-darkest-hourx.deviantart.com/
http://queencookieboo.tumblr.com/
MissCookie

PreviousNext

Return to Cosplay Q and A