• http://www.animazement.org/
  • It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:57 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

How has Anime Had an effect on your life?

Come in and talk about things relevant to Japan and all it's glorious art forms.

Moderator: BobD

How has Anime Had an effect on your life?

Postby Vvsonicteam » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Hey guys Im the Co-host of the "Pirates VS Ninjas" and the "Shonen What?" panels At Animazement (run by Kiba look her up she's awesome). I'm doing a research paper/presentational on how anime manga and cosplay have an effect on young adults, and modern visual culture. So I was wondering if you guys could post some of your experiences with anime manga and cosplay and how you think it has effected your lives so far. Good or bad happy or sad I need them all peoplez. SOOOOO le the post begin! ^w^'
Co Commander of The Gravayard Pinjas: Leonard.

Panels I'm Running:
-Shounen What?? For the Love of Boys 2012 [18+]
-Pirates Vs. Ninjas Debate 2012
Vvsonicteam
Shonen Bat Victim

Re: How has Anime Had an effect on your life?

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:09 am

I met some of my best friends through anime. One in particular has been like a brother to me for over a decade. These days, you'd never pair the two of us up in a million years, but we are still like family. How did we meet? First period, first day of high school, keyboarding. Looked over at the next guys computer screen.

"Dude, Sailor Moon. Sweet."

Met my first girlfriend through video games. Was talking a friend though part of Final Fantasy VII he was having trouble with, and could not for the life of me remember the name of the prison (Corel Prison). She was standing nearby and chimed in with the answer, and we got to discussing games, then anime. One thing led to another and next thing I know we were going to the theater to watch the Final Fantasy movie.

So, for starters, it has introduced me to numerous fun people. And that's not to mention the role it has played in shaping my character.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Vvsonicteam » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Fantastico! keep them coming share with friends also do you mind if i use this in my paper?...its an ethics thing.

Panels I'm Running:
Vvsonicteam
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:34 pm

No prob.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Vvsonicteam » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:45 am

Great Guys keep them coming dont be shy :D

Panels I'm Running:
Vvsonicteam
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Macross-Junkie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Well, Anime has pretty much shaped my life. I got into Anime around 1985 with Nausicca, Star Blazers, and Robotech, and I knew from the start there was something different about the Animation as compared to other cartoons of the 80's. I sought out Japanese titles, both in Animation , Comics, Toys, and Magazines. Once I caught the Anime and Manga bug there was no going back.

Into the 90's in Jr. High and High School, Anime helped to broaden my imagination, which in turn gave me the ability to become a seasoned writer (especially when it came to Fantasy and Sci-Fi). Over the years through school I did a lot of writing, and was able to win several awards, and even got a scholarship to college, where I became an English major.

The more Anime I watched, and the more Manga I read gave me a plethora of ideas for stories, and the more Anime Magazines I read gave me the inspiration to start our own Anime publication. In 1996, while in college, several friends and myself self published our own Anime magazine called "Origami Disaster" and distributed it up and down the east coast through an Anime club we ran called "The East Coast Anime Society" (E.C.A.S. for short). I also got several of my reviews for J-Rock, J-Pop, Anime Soundtracks published in a music rag called MRR, and a few of my Anime reviews published in an old Viz publication called Animerica.

After college life in the Anime world was good for a while, but then the Anime bubble of the early and mid 2000's burst, and finding places that wanted to publish reviews and write-ups became scarce. But that's O.K., Anime and Manga have served me well over the years, and I haven't forgotten that.

In 2001 my son was born, and over the years I have shared my Anime and Manga with him. He's grown up on Miyizaki, Monkey Punch, Mikimoto, and more. My love of Anime and Manga, as well as my HUGE collection of both, have brought us together as a family, which is what matters most to me now.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction where ever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."
- Col. Tigh / Battlestar Galactica
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby Vvsonicteam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Holy crap thats AWESOME!!!! Totally gonna use this.Its amazing how much anime effects people! Keep'em coming guys. Props btw

Panels I'm Running:
Vvsonicteam
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby fugglenuggets » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:30 am

Anime and manga both have really had an effect on me artistically. I've always enjoyed doodling but it wasn't until I got into anime (around the time when DBZ and Tenchi were on Toonami) that I really started to take drawing seriously. As dorky as it may sound, those shows were so inspirational to me.

Since then (and many anime shows later) I've worked on my art and even started selling my work. Right now I'm working on starting a small business with my art and trying to get comics published. So, if I'd never gotten into anime, who knows what I'd be doing now. Don't really want to think of life without anime, manga, or video games haha

Great topic! :-)
fugglenuggets
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby DrGonzo369 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:48 am

I've met many friends through anime and it has helped with my love of music, etc. But I'm more into animation on a whole and feel passionate about animation regardless of origin. Then again, I'm not the typical anime fan. lol
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby Livewire » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Well this probably won't help you with your paper now, but figured I'd share just in case you still have it. :)

Like the others before, Anime has had a huge effect on my life, specifically my high school social life. I'm a huge fan of cartoons but was really getting bored with the entertainment world back then and hadn't be doing well fitting in with anyone at the new school. I figured I'd just keep my nose in my work and suffer through the bordum with at least good grades. It's what cause me to get to math class early one day. I thought it was odd the lights were off and peeked in to find a club watching something new. The colors were just so eye catching and the art more realistic then I've seen cartoons being before. I was hooked instantly and sat on the floor to watch the end of Rurouni Kenshin OVA. After it was over the club leader noticed me on the floor and talked to me while they were packing up everything. He introduced me to what it was and since then got me hooked to it. Now it's been, what...10...12 years? lol! still hooked and still finding new stories to enjoy and talk to others about. It was actually thanks to that club that I learned about Animazement too! Well back when we use to be in that small hotel. Ah the good old days of playing Rasengan Dodge Ball on the lawn.
Livewire
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby IsiInoForever » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Cosplay and anime has bought out my creative side a step further into my life. Not to metion is has bought my friendship a bit closer with my best friend!!
Az 2014 Cosplay:
Jynx/Pokemon : 10 %
TenderHeart/Care Bear : 100% done
Melophme (one of the Muses)/Disney's Hercules : 10%
IsiInoForever
Skilled Valkyrie Pilot

Postby Vampireskiss » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:12 am

Anime and Manga really had me come out of my shell more and it helped me meet my best friend it all just really makes me smile :3
Because I'm one hell of a butler.
AZ11 Yuki cross vampire knight
AZ12 Ikuto Shugo chara
AZ13 female Neko thursday and sunday
AZ13 L DEATH NOTE friday
AZ13 AppleJack MLP Saturday
AZ14 ???
Vampireskiss
Mysterious Sentai Warrior

Postby sailorharmony2000 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:07 am

Hmmm...I remember watching anime when I was little and had no idea that I was even watching Japanese animation. I just knew that the style was different from what I was used to (western style cartoons) and I immediately liked it.

Like with many here in the US, Sailor Moon was my first anime/obsession and from there, it's constantly growing. I was introduced to a message board that revolved around the show and I met new people who shared the same interest. More than half of my art is anime-related now and my online friends (and real friends) are all fans of anime. Anime is now one of those things that I don't see exiting my life any time soon. :3
Please, no flash photography. :p
sailorharmony2000
Shonen Bat Victim

Return to Anime, Manga and Nippon, Oh My!