• It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Phases where you don't enjoy anime?

Come in and talk about things relevant to Japan and all it's glorious art forms.

Moderator: BobD

Re: Phases where you don't enjoy anime?

Postby Shaylex » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:29 am

Dimmuburger wrote:He might as well have worked in a Nazi Goldmine.

LOL No s*** man!We're still drawing traditionally, though. We do that for the first two quarters. Then we slowly switch to digital.

I don't completely blame him for no anime, though. He could have turned out a LOT worse. I wouldn't have passed his first class if he was a Nazi.
Animazement 2014 Cosplay

Thursday - Jack Frost (ROTG)
Friday - Female Goofy (KH2)
Saturday - Human Entei (Pokemon)
Sunday - ???
Shaylex
Eater Of Worlds

Postby danicamae » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:22 pm

He's not fun to be with for sure. x)
danicamae
Citizen of Macross City

Postby DrGonzo369 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:27 am

Dimmuburger wrote:Your teacher contributed to the death of Traditional animation and the bastardization and overuse of computer animation.

Working at the very pinacle of bloated, unwarranted, self glorified bulls***. Just because it's pixar/disney doesn't mean it's good.

Not to mention he worked for an anti-semite's business empire.

He might as well have worked in a Nazi Goldmine.

Hey now....without Walt, we would not have anime as we know it. Pixar helped move the next stage of animation along and they have done some damn fine work. Damn fine. I will not dis Pixar, nor Disney (though that period where Eisner was in control and they shelled out video sequel after video sequel to make money is a sad sad period). Walt and his crew changed the way that animation was done, proving that a feature length animated film would sell..and very well. Unfortunately, personal opinions are held in higher ranking than what he did for the industry. Once he died, Disney as a whole changed, and that is why people like Don Bluth left, because of the politics. Even poor Roy was ignored for years once that sack of crap Mikey Eisner took over.

Disney has released some schlock, that's for sure. Even in their feature films (Hunchback, Treasure Planet and Dinosaur especially). But for all the crap they have put out to make money, they have put out masterpieces.

Pixar has been on a great run since it was conceived many years ago (though I personally don't like Rateouie nor Cars) and are pinnacles in animation. ALL CGI animation studios have to compete with them, because they put out a quality product. The closest so far is honestly Dreamworks, but they tend to recycle stories and characters a lot.

The problem is that once one thing gets popular, you get a ton of other people trying to imitate it. Hence all the CG crap out there. The same can be said for anime. There is not only a TON of CRAP anime from Japan, but a ton of crap that tries to imitate it here and around the world. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. For every Avatar or Teen Titans (shows the adapt an anime style), you have about 10 Code Lyko's and Winx Club. What is good for some is crap to the other.

Call a spade a spade, but do NOT go through and do the "Disney is EVIL!!!!" card. Lion King withstanding, that argument doesn't work anymore. They have redeemed themselves over the years and if rumors are true, will finally do the impossible (or at least 1 part of the impossible) in the next couple of years and release the unreleasable.

Oh, and Japan was using computer animated back in the early 80s as well as in the US. Pixar may have released Toy Story as the first completely CGI film in 1995, but a lil show called ReBoot introduced series. Blame Canada and Mainframe just as much as you do Disney if you wanna say that CGI is bad.
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby Shaylex » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:34 pm

This brings back the paper I wrote about Animation in my English class last year for graduation... everything that DrGonzo typed is what I typed. XD
Animazement 2014 Cosplay

Sunday - ???
Shaylex
Eater Of Worlds

Postby Dimmuburger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:53 am

We all know the old Tezuka story Gonzo, the period between Wehrmacht captain Disney's death and Don Bluth's success was chock full of total crap. Followed by the straight to video hell of the last couple decades.

Pixar is just as guilty of reusing characters/plots as dreamworks.

Character is either a lovable loser or the best at what they do.
Character faces adversity
Character finds love interest
Bad guy dies or something
Leave room for a sequel.
Rinse, frickin' repeat.

Boom, another billion dollars made off the same old movie

With every dvd cover featuring the same half smirking main character
Dimmuburger
That's the Spirit!

Postby DrGonzo369 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:48 am

you're thinking of Dreamworks with the cover thing, Dimmu. That formula is used for almost EVERY children's film at this point. It's honestly solid storytelling. Hell, I'll peck you to name an anime that doesn't have most of those things you listed in them.

Walt died in 66, Bluth left in 78.

Disney animated films released in that time period:
The Jungle Book 1967
The Aristocats (one of my favorite animated films EVER) 1970
Robin Hood 1973
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 1977
The Rescuers 1977

Sooo....crap you say?
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby DrGonzo369 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:02 am

By the way, I didn't mention the Tezuka story this go round. I said that Walt showed that audiences wanted a full length animated feature. Without those early films, I doubt we would see Ponyo and Trigun in theaters.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Shaylex » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Oh crap... I hope I didn't start something here. lol
Animazement 2014 Cosplay

Sunday - ???
Shaylex
Eater Of Worlds

Postby DrGonzo369 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Absolutely not. There has always been a stigmata among the anime community of "Disney is EVIL!" that is, in my opinion, unwarranted and unneeded. Even the Lion King argument has become tiresome over the years (when they never pull the "George Lucas is EVIL!" card).

The same people also tend to bash american comics and anything non-Japanese most of the time (notice now I said most, but not all).

I acknowledge the "Dark Time" is Eisner and it's mountains of needless and pointless video sequels (that almost all animation companies were guilty of doing) and this "Disney Vault" crap was old when it first started. But they aren't the only people guilty of things, yet get the brunt of the blame. Not ONE soul will blame Reboot for the sudden explosion of CGI animated series, but will blame Disney all day long.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Shaylex » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Oh except me. :O I could write a book about the CGI being overly sugar-coated, and how they totally don't give any credit to the 2-D traditional draw-on-actual-paper troopers who started this whole era of box office records. Namely Japan AND Walt Disney being the center of it.

And George Lucas? Psssh, Star Wars is the only thing he'll do good... besides Indiana Jones, but that ain't a lot of CGI, if you know what I mean.
Animazement 2014 Cosplay

Sunday - ???
Shaylex
Eater Of Worlds

Postby DrGonzo369 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 pm

No, I mean how Star Wars was mainly just Lensman and Hidden Fortress, yet no one points that out in the great "Japan is better than the US and the US just steals things from Japan!" fight.

Hell, one of the greatest traditional animated films (in my opinion) was neither of US or Japan origin, but UK. That film: The Thief and the Cobbler.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Shaylex » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:00 am

Ah, I get you. Sadly, I've heard of the Thief and the Cobbler, but I've never seen it.

-looks it up...-
Animazement 2014 Cosplay

Sunday - ???
Shaylex
Eater Of Worlds

Postby DrGonzo369 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 am

find "The Thief and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut V3"...or I'll just get you a copy myself. The story behind that film is as amazing as the animation itself.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Shaylex » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:08 am

lol alrighty. But don't bother spending money on me. XD Ive got enough on my movie shelf as it is!
Animazement 2014 Cosplay

Sunday - ???
Shaylex
Eater Of Worlds

Postby DrGonzo369 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:33 am

Nevermind. due to recent (like in the last 24 hours) developments, a new workprint of it has been found...that has footage not seen on ANY other version....The official release is garbage and an abortion and I wish I would pull a "Lucas vs the Holiday Special" on it.....

Version 4 is officially (as official as it goes) is in the works. Worse comes to worse, find me at AZ and we shall talk. hehe.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Shaylex » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Sure thing! Just let me know when the AZ countdown gets in the 50's or somethin' like that.
Animazement 2014 Cosplay

Sunday - ???
Shaylex
Eater Of Worlds

Previous

Return to Anime, Manga and Nippon, Oh My!