• http://www.animazement.org/
  • It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Anime You May Have Missed (Or Never Heard Of) (APPROVED)

Got an idea for a panel? Want to know what others think? Need to give a shout out to panel staff? Come on in!

Moderators: Macross-Junkie, Kurotsubasa

Who would be interested in this?

Sure
83%
Maybe
13%
Not Really
No votes
Not at all
No votes
Undecided
4%

Total votes : 24

Anime You May Have Missed (Or Never Heard Of) (APPROVED)

Postby Se7enBishie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 pm

I know there was one of these before, but I haven't seen one in quite a few years, so I thought that I would volunteer myself to run a panel based on the above topic.

This would include anime that was either passed over, panned, flew under the radar, or just those nostalgic (but not TOO nostalgic, I'm not talking black and white, nor Speed Racer here) animes that we know and love, but just can't think of the names anymore.

I was thinking of having a panel of three doing this and trying to get the hosts of a podcast entitled Gaijin Kanpai Omake, which would help Animazement get some free publicity in a way, as well. Basically, the panel could talk about what we like about these shows, show clips, answer questions, the usual interview style sort of thing, but with some comedic commentary to go along with it.
Last edited by Se7enBishie on Sat May 12, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZ '03, '05-'12

Proud member of Omake Ikuze!
Se7enBishie
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Re: Under-rated/Under-appreciated/Anime that Time Forgot

Postby Dimmuburger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:18 am

that one anime where the kid's dad was a rock and the kid would beat the piss out of people using his dad.

I think it was called dad beater or something.
Dimmuburger
That's the Spirit!

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:11 am

Photon the Idiot Menace! I didn't even know the creator of Tenchi made that, and it has probably in my opinion the best anime villain ever.

Also Jibaku-Kun, is one of my favorites but I'm not sure how many people know about it!

There was also a cosplay skit about how Mahou Shoujo Tsukai Tai was very underappreciated and forgotten!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Se7enBishie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 pm

I'm glad to see some people are getting behind this, as this is definitely something that I think would be a great panel for people to broaden their horizons with.

As for everyone involved here, please feel free to PM me a couple of suggestions of something that you'd like to see covered, or touched base on. I know that (if this panel is selected, of course) we'd have limited time so we can't do a 6-hour multi-topic dissertation, but we would like to incorporate some of your favorite buried jewels that are just too good not to share.
AZ '03, '05-'12

Se7enBishie

Postby kireina seishin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:28 am

I like it! I would go.
kireina seishin
Black Rose Duelist

Postby Tavex » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:41 am

Shenanagan wrote:Photon the Idiot Menace!

THIS!!
Cosplay for 2014 AZ:

Mushishi: Ginko

Final Fantasy XIII: Snow (MIGHT do this again)

Tavex
Pokémon Master

Postby djkidna » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Dimmuburger wrote:that one anime where the kid's dad was a rock and the kid would beat the piss out of people using his dad.

I think it was called dad beater or something.

Flint The Time Detective

Throw some Tezuka and Ishinomori in there. The fathers of manga and anime and most of their work is forgotten by time, it's sad really.
djkidna
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Macross-Junkie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:19 pm

I actually ran a panel almost exactly like this about four years back. We showed "Vs. Knight Lamune & 40 Fire", "Final Fantasy: Legend Of The Crystals", "One Pound Gospel" "Dragon Warrior" (which was the US TV release of the "Dragon Quest" Anime), and a little bit of the "Starship Troopers" Anime from 1983.

Just a hint. There's a lot of good stuff to choose from, but try to stick to commercial and fan-sub releases on VHS that never made it to DVD or the digital download age. That's how I chose my titles, and it drew in a large crowd simple because it was something most everyone hadn't seen before. Keep in mind, most of the youth that show up at AZ were in diapers when VHS was in use, so unless it's come out in the past 10 years, they've never heard of it.

As for equipment, if you need a VCR just contact AZ staff and ask for Chad (that's ME) and I'll make sure you have a VCR provided for your panel. And if you need anything else to help out with this panel (suggestions, copies of stuff on VHS, ect.) just let me know and I'll be more than happy to help out.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction where ever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."
- Col. Tigh / Battlestar Galactica
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:32 am

I just wanted to touch base with this thread to see if there are updates on this panel's status. And if it has been decided that it will be in for this year, let me know about what will be shown! I definitly want to come :)
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Se7enBishie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:34 am

Basically, as of right now, we're putting our heads together and trying to figure out exactly what we're going to show.

Hopefully, we'll have a finalized list...of sorts ready soon and go ahead and submit the idea for the panel.
AZ '03, '05-'12

Se7enBishie

Postby Se7enBishie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Ok, since there's a bit of interest in this, I'm going to pose this question to you.

Is it a good idea to show some anime that has completely flown under the radar? Some of my favorite shows it seems that almost no one has heard of.

As far as the older stuff, I can see it drawing a crowd and would like to touch base on it, but would like to focus more on the "Under-rated" and "Under-appreciated" aspects of this more. Is this still a good idea?
AZ '03, '05-'12

Se7enBishie

Postby Shenanagan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm

I know I'm always trying to look for new things to see, so I would say go for a few anime that nobody has ever heard of! But do focus on the under-rated and under-appreciated anime as well, I think lots of people in the audience would be happy seeing their favorite obscure anime getting some more love!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Se7enBishie » Sat May 12, 2012 10:38 pm

This panel is a GO. Sunday at 9:30-10:30!
AZ '03, '05-'12

Se7enBishie

Re: Anime You May Have Missed (Or Never Heard Of) (APPROVED)

Postby Ex2 » Sat May 12, 2012 11:38 pm

This sounds like a panel I can get behind. Looking forward to it. Show some Dominion Tank Police and Urusei Yatsura!
Ex2

Postby Carcharias » Tue May 22, 2012 10:44 am

This is probably to late, but I saw this on the posted schedule. My favorites are: Samurai Deeper Kyo and Damekko Doubutsu.
Carcharias
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Se7enBishie » Sun May 27, 2012 9:16 pm

For everyone that attended, thank you so much for coming out. Even though my friend and I were hosting, you all made the panel. Without you, we'd be talking to a bunch of chairs.

Again, for those of you that would like to, please mention some titles you would like to see in some (possible) subsequent panels. For those of you that had some suggestions earlier in the thread, I have noted them and will do my best to have them make an appearance in (possible) subsequent panels.

For those of you that want a list of what we presented today, here it is:

Dirty Pair (Dirty Pair Flash)
Burn-Up! (Burn-Up! W, Burn-Up! eXcess, and Burn-Up! Scramble)
Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Petshop of Horrors
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
Betterman
Silent Mobius
RahXephon
Dai-Guard
Blue Seed
Slayers
K.O. Beast
Golden Boy
Kodocha
Haunted Junction

Again, thank you all so much for your support and making my first time hosting a panel such a blast. ^_^
AZ '03, '05-'12

Se7enBishie

Postby Shenanagan » Mon May 28, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks so much for having this panel! In my opinion this was one of the best panels I attended at AZ. I would definitely love to have another one of these next year!

Yeah, I was the one that called out Bucky, but the Japanese name for it was Jibaku-Kun. Perhaps you'll have better luck searching for it under that name!

Thanks for giving Haunted Junction, Lain, K.O Beast and Slayers some love!!!

At the moment I can't think of many titles to include next year, but one of the biggest and most underrated CLAMP anime is Magic Knights of Rayearth. It's my sister's favorite anime ever, and maybe every other year we see like one cosplay of it. It's definitely more toward the fantasy magical transforming girl anime, but there is also a dramatic side to the story as well as kick ass fighting mecha! Hope to see this at the panel next year, and if not I'm sure there are lots of other titles that will get some love too!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby fuwa-fuwa_neko » Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 pm

You guys did a great job on this panel. I would love to see this next year. There are a lot of people, young and old, who haven't heard of titles just because there's a ton of anime out there and different genres that people like. I liked that you covered various genres so there was something for everyone.
I have a couple of titles that could be interesting to add next time. They are "Rune Solider", "Gokudo", "Sorcerer Hunters", "Cosplay Complex", "Puni Puni Poemy", and "Indian Summer" :3 .
Cosplay
Tenten
"Find a penny pick it up, all day long. . . you have a penny."
fuwa-fuwa_neko
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Se7enBishie » Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 pm

fuwa-fuwa_neko wrote:They are "Rune Solider", "Gokudo", "Sorcerer Hunters", "Cosplay Complex", "Puni Puni Poemy", and "Indian Summer" :3 .

The only problem with Puni Puni Poemy is that it might have to be an 18+ panel because there's just so much in that that is not "family friendly". I had to keep reminding myself while up there that it's a "family friendly con"...lol

Shenanagan wrote:Thanks so much for having this panel! In my opinion this was one of the best panels I attended at AZ. I would definitely love to have another one of these next year!

I appreciate the support and I will be trying to make another one for next year. Thank you so much for coming at crack 'o dawn thirty in the morning and supporting this panel. This experience has definitely helped me in boosting my confidence to make another panel. ^__^
AZ '03, '05-'12

Se7enBishie

Next

Return to Everything Panels