• It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Photoshoot room petition

Talk about your Animazement plans, and count down the days to Memorial Day weekend with us.

Moderator: Macross-Junkie

Photoshoot room petition

Postby Zaverxi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm not sure if a whole lot of people would agree with me on this, but I think it would be a great idea of there was a room set aside for photoshoots.

Here are my reasons.

#1: Placement/Crowd Control

It would provide a place for photoshoots to take place, that would be just for photoshoots. No people not in the photoshoot accidentally photobombing(or on purpose) and no huge mobs of people getting in the way of everyone else trying to get by, which is the biggest issue for trying to find photoshoot locations.

#2: Scheduling

It could provide a place to post photoshoot times and scheduling ahead of time, with the signups I know are available on the forum, but which people who aren't on here or don't check wouldn't know about.

#3: Photoshoot Structuring

Given a large enough area, there could be markings on the floor for where people should stand, distance away from the groups also marked to give people a guide for being able to take good pictures of large groups. And maybe even if there's a group of volunteers willing to do so, people who can arrange these photoshoots and move things along in the time allotted.

There could also be stepped platforms set up so that there can be tiers for these photoshoots that are wide enough that people can stand comfortably on them. And if the time is an issue, with a large enough area there could be multiple photoshoots going on at once, since the rooms are so big there could be one at one side and a second on another, or if it's smaller groups, spread out here and there.

#4: Health and Safety

I'm sure people remembered last year, and standing on the stairs outside in 90+ degree weather. I heard some people fainted from the heat, and given the fact that it was just 80 degrees the other day, this summer's going to be a scorcher as well. Large groups + sweltering outside temperatures = danger for attendees.

It's simply a health hazard for photoshoots to be outside in May. Especially if elaborate costumes that have multiple layers are taken into account. I remember the Pokemon photoshoot last year, and we were positively miserable, and it's only thanks to our coordinator who brought bottled water to share with people that we were able to tolerate it out there. (Puppet you're amazing!)

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those seem to be the main ones I can think of.

Now, as for location. Having been to AZ since before it was even at the RCC, I know just how hard it is to find photoshoot locations, and the RCC doesn't have the benefit of a nice wide lawn like the Sheraton did. But the RCC has the perfect area for one, that I've noticed over the last three years.

There are at least two huge basement rooms, one of which holds the dealer's room. One year, it was in one of those, the year after that, in the other, and the second room was always closed and empty for the convention, merely holding a bunch of chairs when I peeked in the windows.

The dealer's room sufficiently fits in one, so why not open up the other one for photoshoots? There's accessibility to both, as I have physically gone down to both over those two years, and they're large enough to fit even the biggest of photoshoots.

I'm not sure if it costs extra for the convention to use both rooms, but with the fact that our attendance rate is increasing rapidly from year to year, it should be doable in the near future. And since attendance is going up, so will the size of photoshoots.

I hope other people agree with me on this. I've attended huge photoshoots like Bleach and Pokemon, and intend to be in a Pokemon and a Homestuck photoshoot this year, both of which have large turnouts.
AZ 2013 vague ideas
Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4)
Zebstrika Gijinka
Jaspers (Homestuck)
Trickster Jaspers (Homestuck)
Human Gatomon (Digimon)
Zaverxi
Ectobiologist

Re: Photoshoot room petition

Postby whitless256 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:16 am

Those lower level exhibit halls cost a ton of money to rent; well beyond what would be reasonable to set aside just for photo shoots. If AZ is still unable to rent those for Artist Alley, there's no way it could be rented for anything else.

However, I can't say if there would be room elsewhere for this in one of the other rooms that will already be rented. All I know is that the expense of renting the exhibit halls is HUGE.
whitless256
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby MissCookie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm

whitless256 wrote:Those lower level exhibit halls cost a ton of money to rent; well beyond what would be reasonable to set aside just for photo shoots. If AZ is still unable to rent those for Artist Alley, there's no way it could be rented for anything else.

However, I can't say if there would be room elsewhere for this in one of the other rooms that will already be rented. All I know is that the expense of renting the exhibit halls is HUGE.

That may be true, but I support Zaverxi's idea.

I was also at the Pokemon photoshoot and was twice as miserable as many others because I had already caught the con flu by Sunday. One of my friends was Umbreon and had lots of fur, she nearly passed out twice.

This is North Carolina's longest-running and by far the largest convention. It is also, in my opinion, the most controlled and organized. The attendee rate grows by 700-1000+ each year.

If this does happen (whether its this year or in the near future), I would hope they put the Homestuck fandom first on the list. Why you ask? Because 50% of the characters (the trolls, Midnight crew) are dressed in black with black wigs and gray skin. They are also the most cosplayed characters right now. Some other characters also require long-sleeves and multiple layers (god tiers, ancestors, etc.) Having our photoshoot outside in the hellish late-May heat is out of the question. And judging by how many Homestuck cosplayers have showed up at recent conventions, we need A LOT of space to avoid being a hindrance to other congoers who probably don't want us around.
Look at the turnouts for these Homestuck con photoshoots:

Ichibancon 2012: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 8133_n.jpg
Katsucon 2012: http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqc1 ... o1_500.jpg
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lztk7 ... o1_500.jpg
Otakon 2011: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 4lirot.jpg

And thats not even the worst that it can get. WE. NEED. SPACE.

Overall, I think this would be a great idea. If we can't get it started this year, than try for next year.
AZ '13 Cosplays:

Timmy Turner - Fairly Odd Parents
A6I4!Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Kururi Orihara - Durarara!!
Adult!Ib - Ib

http://xin-my-darkest-hourx.deviantart.com/
http://queencookieboo.tumblr.com/
MissCookie
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby BobD » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Just so we are not comparing apples to oranges and so you will understand why most of this will go nowhere...

Photoshoots are not a convention activity. It is a fan generated activity. The only event that the convention deals with in regard to Cosplay is the Cosplay Contest and Craftsmanship Contest. Should the convention take over photoshoots and other "cosplay" activities, you would not be happy campers. Panels, events, video rooms, etc. are all executed in relation to time frames. Should Photoshoots be handed over as a convention activity then the convention will have to organize it and structure it in a way that will fit all other activities pertaining to weekend events and staff requirements. In other words, if we are responsible for it and are responsible in light of what happens at said photoshoots, then we are going to call the shots in regard to everything that takes place. We do not just open a room or space for any other activity at the convention and tell people, "Okay, go for it!" Even Artist Alley (though it is fan driven) has to be organized and monitored by the convention staff. When all is said and done, you do not want us organizing your photoshoots.
Say you have a group wanting a shoot for 10:30. Not everyone shows up. Okay, let's shoot for 11:00 then. Should staff control this you show up for your photoshoot at 10:30 or there's no photoshoot because some other group is coming in at 11:00.
Every room that is used must be purchased for the weekend. The big room you are talking about next to the dealers room is mega expensive. The dealers generate the cost of their room. Cosplay would not unless we charge for each photoshoot which, to afford said room, would run about $100.00 per shoot or more. And again, I don't think you want us to do that.
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby Tigress » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 am

Regarding the Homestuck guys:

I have done Final Fantasy shoots outside as Kefka Palazzo in triple-digit weather. That is four layers of clothing: dancer's tights and satin pants, compression vest, undershirt, satin shirt and a heavy, fully-lined satin cape. Two layers of clown make-up. Wig and feather headdress.

If I can do it without fainting with all that on, you can do it with just facepaint and jeans and t-shirt.

}:P
Kat's Play -- Costume Artist

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should've been more specific.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Postby Marzipan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:58 pm

I do what I can to organize these for you guys, but it's all up to you to pick a location that is suitable. =/

If you want it in a cooler area why not try hunting around the Marriott? There is a big hallway that could work. Also there are many nearby hotels with nice lobbies that could be suitable. No it wont stop the photo bombs, but eh what can ya do? XD

The problem with a photoshoot "room" that I see is that bigger shoots will be near to impossible to tier without bleachers and the shorter cosplayers could easily get lost in the shuffle.

I like that you're trying to make things comfortable and easy for your fellow cosplayers and I know that it's frustrating that things aren't as simple as just getting staff to get us an empty room and let us go nuts.

The scheduling point you made I have to take a defensive stance on. The last two years I put my own time and money into making flyers that I personally hand out at precon and make sure they are displayed on the freebie table in the main lobby. I think I do a pretty good job in helping others who don't post on the forums be aware of these fan events. And I have pushed and pushed until I got staff to help me get a poster to put up in the main lobby and have the schedule put into the AZ schedule book, so you will have to excuse me for being surprised I didn't get any appreciation from your post regarding this. I understand what you're trying to accomplish but you've got to be more careful when you make a point without looking into what others have already done. I'm not sure if you were intending to come across that way, but I did feel rather unappreciated.
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Zaverxi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Marzipan wrote:I'm not sure if you were intending to come across that way, but I did feel rather unappreciated.

I'm sorry, an insult was most definitely not intended. You do a great job organizing the chaos of thousands of people into smaller, more easily controlled mobs.

As for the rest, I admit I didn't see it from a staffer standpoint and I do apologize.
AZ 2013 vague ideas
Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4)
Zebstrika Gijinka
Jaspers (Homestuck)
Trickster Jaspers (Homestuck)
Human Gatomon (Digimon)
Zaverxi
Ectobiologist

Postby Shenanagan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 pm

In agreement with Tigress, I have been outside in 90% humidity wearing a flameproof suit and rubber gas mask for a shoot and actually survived!

I see both sides to the issue, but I do have to agree with not renting the room. While we now have the great opportunity to have a schedule for shoots posted around the con to alert folks that don't normally check the forums for shoots (thank you Marzipan for your hard work in this!), I think making it limited to only one room would not be beneficial to some. Sometimes people would like to do a shoot outside or near a fountain, depending on their own cosplay needs. And if you would like to shoot inside, then that's good too! For those concerned with overheating, the Marriot is definitely a good suggestion, Marzipan!

Besides, I actually don't mind when there's a spontaneous photoshoot going on as I walk by. It makes it fun and exciting to suddenly be a part of one! To include Homestuck as an example, a friend of mine was cosplaying John and literally got stuck in a crowd of Homestuck cosplayers in the main lobby :)
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby redshinigamieyes » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:08 pm

This is is a great idea! Most large cons have this already, and with as expected to have over 8000 people this year, let's step up the game. Got the new convention center & outside stage now.....time to make it better for cosplayers to :-).
Also another great idea at some cons they actually add benches throughout to sit and rest, it gets so hot at Az, like 90 +. O.Oeeek!
2013 Cosplays

Thursday: Moka Akashiya (dance outfit)
Friday: Pokemon Trainer, Nanael-Queens Blade
Kanu-Ikkitousen, Mika Ito-Bible Black
Sunday: Moka-Rosario+Vampire
https://www.facebook.com/DestinyCosWorks
http://destinycosplay.deviantart.com/
redshinigamieyes
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby whitless256 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:40 pm

However great an idea it may or may not be, Bob already explained why AZ isn't going to organize or pay for a photoshoot room. And I think a lot of cosplayers would prefer the freedom to run their photoshoots themselves and not be limited by time constraints or have their shoots directed by staff.
whitless256
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby Tigress » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:08 am

The "photoshoot room" at larger conventions is usually rented out by photography studios and you usually have to pay the studio to use them. I've used them on many occasions because I wanted some professionally done pictures of my costumes done.

In fact, for the past two years, AZ has hosted Frost Photography and they are really good. For $20, they'll give you a CD with your entire session on it and a free print. If you want to utilize a "photoshoot room", please consider them.
Kat's Play -- Costume Artist

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should've been more specific.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Return to Convention Discussion