• It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:18 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Volunteer Information

Current Animazement news and information pertaining to the upcoming convention.

Moderator: BobD

Volunteer Information

Postby BobD » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:05 pm

Hi Gang

It's time to start thinking about volunteerism at this year's convention. I'm excited because I have one of the greatest jobs at Animazement...I get to work with you. We had a great group of volunteers at the 2008 Con and I'm looking forward to working with some of you again this year. I'm also pumped up about meeting a lot of new people during 2009.

As a reminder for those returning, and as information for the new and interested folks, here is some information to help prepare you for volunteer work:

Who Can Volunteer?

If you are a registered attendee of Animazement you are eligible to serve as a volunteer. We are looking for guys and gals who have some time on their hands and would like to get a behind the scenes look at the running of an anime convention. The best way for you to do this is hands on. We need people to help out in registration, art room, panels, convention special events and other areas. Naturally some areas are more specialized than others. But when you walk in the door we will definitely have something for you to do. Our request is for you to remain flexible. Some jobs will demand some stamina (registration or crowd control) while some require very little work on your part (panel badge check) but are still equally important to making sure the convention runs smoothly. Of course, we want to fit your personality with the right job, so you can always make a request when you come in and we will seek to make placement where you are comfortable and will get the most enjoyment from your experience.

How Much Time Can I Put In?

We leave that entirely up to you. Who knows your interests and schedule better than you? Our best advise is that after you have registered and have your con booklet, prioritize those things that you are most interested in (Dealers Room, Cosplay, Music Videos, Panels, Dances). You will enjoy the convention more if you know from the beginning what you want to do. After you are able to determine where you will be and
when, look for those down times when you have nothing going on and write us in. This may be 1, 3, 6, 9, or 18 hours. It’s different from person to person. But whatever the amount of time, we definitely can use your help.

If I Decide To Volunteer What Steps Do I Need To Take?

In your convention booklet there will be a layout of the hotel. Look for the volunteer room. All you will need to do when you are ready to do some work is come by and introduce yourself to me (Bob Dockery). I will take your registration badge and give you a volunteer badge to wear that will identify to convention staff, hotel staff, and other convention goers that you are serving in a volunteer capacity. You will be asked to
sign in on a form including the time you are beginning your work. I will place you in an area at that time which is in need of workers and will record this so that I will know at all times where you are. Be aware, that at any given time that you are serving, I may move you from one location to another. If the staff person who is overseeing your work requests that you move to another location, make sure to stop back by the volunteer room to confirm this with me or have the staff member contact me by radio to confirm the move.

Example: I have placed you in registration to work with the beautiful and talented Jenny Exelbierd. During that time one of the more popular panels may be getting ready to start. I will contact Jenny to verify registration’s working situation and given that it has slowed down there, will move you to check badges at
the panel. That is why we ask for flexibility on your part. At any given time we will have a limited amount of volunteers to work with and we may need to prioritize their placement.

When you have put in the amount of time you wish to serve all you need to do is return to the volunteer office and sign out. At that time you will hand in your volunteer badge for your convention badge. Your time will then be calculated. If you will be returning to work later on just let me know. Come and go at your convenience throughout the weekend when you have 1 hour here or 2 hours there. However, if you have finished your volunteer experience tell me and we will tabulate your hours worked at that time.

Are There Benefits In Serving As A Volunteer?

Volunteerism is work that is done on a non pay basis. However, we appreciate so very much what you are doing for us to keep the convention running smoothly. Without you things would eventually grind to a halt. Therefore, we want to say, “Thank you” in some way. We have developed the following in order to do just that. This is what you will receive for your service. If you work up to:

3 hours = 1/2 price on current con T Shirt
6 hours = 1/2 price on current con T Shirt and $5.00
9 hours = 1/2 price on current con T Shirt and $10.00
12 hours = 1/2 price on current con T Shirt and $15.00
15 hours = 1/2 price on current con T Shirt and $20.00
18+ hours = Free PreRegistration to Animazement 2010
(This schedule is subject to change, but if it is it will be to your benefit)

We also appreciate those who go the extra mile for us during the convention. Close consideration is given to the fact that an individual may have helped us with pre-con activities and were there when we needed them during some of the busiest times of the convention, such as cosplay. When tabulating your time these will be taken into account if you are close to the next level of compensation.

Can I Wear My Cosplay Outfit While Volunteering?

Most definitely. You've put a lot of time into your costume and we know you want to show it off plus it adds to what we are all about as a convention. In fact we may want to put you in some of the high profile locations so that folks will have a chance to see what you have accomplished.

Will There Be Opportunities For Volunteer Work Before The Convention?

Yes. We will have several times when we will need to call on volunteers to help us with such things as preregistration badges, setting up for the convention and finally loading things back up when it's all over. However, we do not offer volunteer compensation during these activities. We view the work during pre and post convention as a labor of love. We do it because we believe in what Animazement is all about. But again, we will consider what you did during these times if you volunteer during the convention itself and you need an extra hour or so to possibly get that Preregistration for 2010.

Please remember: When working as a volunteer that you are representing Animazment. You are taking part in shaping the impressions and memories that many will have of this convention. We expect all volunteers to conduct themselves in a way that will help build up this cultural experience and not detract from what we are seeking to accomplish.

You may have 1001 more questions. Feel free to post those here. Also, watch for announcements of volunteer opportunities in the weeks ahead.

If you want your name put on my email listing for volunteers to get a reminder about upcoming volunteer activities, just send me a note with your email address to Rdoc102880@aol.com.
BobD
Old Geezer

Re: Volunteer Information

Postby AZ_belle_45 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:58 am

My friends and I were thinking of volunteering this year and I saw that you can wear your costume while volunteering. I was also wondering if you could be allowed to take part in photoshoots if you are a volunteer? Would you be given special leave to do so and then continue with whatever needed to be done, or does that center around your work schedule?
~if life is but a fleeting dream...please do not wake me~
~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~

planned AZ 2013 cosplay:
saeko busujima--high school of the dead
valentine--skullgirls
gender bender rolf--ed, edd, and eddy
Female shredder--teenage mutant ninja turtles
AZ_belle_45
Your Emergency Flotation Device

Postby BobD » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:51 am

AZ_belle_45 wrote:My friends and I were thinking of volunteering this year and I saw that you can wear your costume while volunteering. I was also wondering if you could be allowed to take part in photoshoots if you are a volunteer? Would you be given special leave to do so and then continue with whatever needed to be done, or does that center around your work schedule?

Volunteer work is generally situated around given work stations such as registration, art room, security, etc. The folks who oversee those work stations are dependent on the volunteers to fulfill their assigned duties. If you are talking about if someone comes up to you while you are working and says, "Can we get our pic done together?" and it only takes a moment, that's not a problem. But if you are talking about a photoshoot where you will have to leave your station to go to another location and it could take up to 30 minutes or longer to set up and shoot, the best thing would be to check out and then check back in when you have finished up. That way we know that your position is vacant and can send a replacement if needed to cover for you. This is critical especially if your photoshoot takes place during a peak time in, say, registration. It's not a problem as we are usually flexible enough to allow our volunteers to take part in the activities they came to the convention for. At the same time we want to make sure everything is covered.
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby AZ_belle_45 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:07 am

BobD wrote:
AZ_belle_45 wrote:My friends and I were thinking of volunteering this year and I saw that you can wear your costume while volunteering. I was also wondering if you could be allowed to take part in photoshoots if you are a volunteer? Would you be given special leave to do so and then continue with whatever needed to be done, or does that center around your work schedule?

Volunteer work is generally situated around given work stations such as registration, art room, security, etc. The folks who oversee those work stations are dependent on the volunteers to fulfill their assigned duties. If you are talking about if someone comes up to you while you are working and says, "Can we get our pic done together?" and it only takes a moment, that's not a problem. But if you are talking about a photoshoot where you will have to leave your station to go to another location and it could take up to 30 minutes or longer to set up and shoot, the best thing would be to check out and then check back in when you have finished up. That way we know that your position is vacant and can send a replacement if needed to cover for you. This is critical especially if your photoshoot takes place during a peak time in, say, registration. It's not a problem as we are usually flexible enough to allow our volunteers to take part in the activities they came to the convention for. At the same time we want to make sure everything is covered.

oh ok thank you =]
~if life is but a fleeting dream...please do not wake me~
~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~

planned AZ 2013 cosplay:
saeko busujima--high school of the dead
valentine--skullgirls
gender bender rolf--ed, edd, and eddy
Female shredder--teenage mutant ninja turtles
AZ_belle_45
Your Emergency Flotation Device

Postby Dimmuburger » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:56 pm

When I volunteered I racked up time for doing nothing. I felt kind of like a jerk. How do you become a staff member?
Dimmuburger
That's the Spirit!

Postby Dark Soul » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:08 pm

can I still sign up to volunteer?
AZ 14 was fun while it lasted. I had a great time meeting new faces and hanging out with my friends :D
Time to plan for AZ 2012
Dark Soul
Black Rose Duelist

Postby PrettyRaveGirl » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:09 am

Is there an age limit to volunteering for AZ cause I would love to help out but im 16<.< so I don't know.

also,I have a friend who can not afford a AZ ticket and she heard that if you volunteer for AZ they give you a free pass in. I honestly don't believe this but wanted to make sure for her sake if this was true or not,is it? ^.^'
PrettyRaveGirl
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:33 pm

PrettyRaveGirl wrote:also,I have a friend who can not afford a AZ ticket and she heard that if you volunteer for AZ they give you a free pass in. I honestly don't believe this but wanted to make sure for her sake if this was true or not,is it? ^.^'

Yes but not in a way. How it goes is you help one year and the next year you can get in free. Or that's how it was.
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby BobD » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:19 pm

PrettyRaveGirl wrote:Is there an age limit to volunteering for AZ cause I would love to help out but im 16<.< so I don't know.

If I have to change your diaper you're too young. If I have to change your depends then you're too old. If you fall in between there please come by Con/Ops to talk to me about volunteer work.

PrettyRaveGirl wrote:also,I have a friend who can not afford a AZ ticket and she heard that if you volunteer for AZ they give you a free pass in. I honestly don't believe this but wanted to make sure for her sake if this was true or not,is it? ^.^'

As stated above, free admission is awarded to those who have worked over 18 hours at a convention and is extended for the following year, not the current year.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby SakuraKagurazaka » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm

I just heard from a ex-volunteer that the hours to get a free pass into AZ have been cut down to 8. True or false?
Offical Con Mom
SakuraKagurazaka
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby bdperkin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:27 pm

SakuraKagurazaka wrote:I just heard from a ex-volunteer that the hours to get a free pass into AZ have been cut down to 8. True or false?

Free registration to next year's Animazement is at the 18 hours level. The full list of Animazement Volunteer Rewards can be found at:

http://www.animazement.org/volunteer
bdperkin
Code Monkey

Postby lovetanime » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:23 pm

I am looking to volunteer and I need a few community service hours for my National Honor Society requirements. Would I be able to get someone to sign for me?

I have learned that I really enjoy volunteering at conventions(anime,video gaming, etc.). This will be my first year volunteering at amazement though.
lovetanime
Citizen of Macross City

Postby BobD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:32 pm

lovetanime wrote:I am looking to volunteer and I need a few community service hours for my National Honor Society requirements. Would I be able to get someone to sign for me?

I have learned that I really enjoy volunteering at conventions(anime,video gaming, etc.). This will be my first year volunteering at amazement though.

I will PM you some contact information for this in the next day or so. Thanks for your interest.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby Dimmuburger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:30 pm

I need that Animazement shirt,
I couldn't pick one up last year.

I think I'll volunteer once more, if you don't mind
Dimmuburger
That's the Spirit!

Postby Misa_Amarah08 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:14 pm

I am definitely wanting to become a Volunteer at Animazement 2011 big time. This year's Animazement was my first and I wanted to also see the backgrounds work of an Anime Convention and I shall be going to every Animazement for now on, you guys got me hooked! :3
Misa_Amarah08
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Batman542 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:08 pm

I was just wonderning if I wanted to volunteer when I got to the Con on Saturday Morning could I just go to the con ops and ask them if I could sign up to help out with the con that one day?
Batman542
Citizen of Macross City

Postby BobD » Wed May 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Batman542 wrote:I was just wonderning if I wanted to volunteer when I got to the Con on Saturday Morning could I just go to the con ops and ask them if I could sign up to help out with the con that one day?

Yes, any time you would like to come by we will see if we have openings at the time for volunteers. Thanks and we look forward to working with you.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby techygrl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:19 am

can i volunteer to work the pre con?
2014 Cosplays:

Friday- Tohru Honda (Fruits Basket) 10%
Saturday- Malon (Legend of zelda) 0%
Sunday- Team Rocket Grunt (Pokemon) 100%
techygrl
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby double00beaver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 am

I've got a question about the new volunteer process. My friend wants to apply but it mentions there will be a personal interview. Is this done online through Skype/email/etc or is it done in person? We don't live in Raleigh and we currently can't drive so she's worried that she won't be able to apply because she can't get to any possible interview location.
double00beaver
Squeeky-hime <3

Postby BobD » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 am

double00beaver wrote:I've got a question about the new volunteer process. My friend wants to apply but it mentions there will be a personal interview. Is this done online through Skype/email/etc or is it done in person? We don't live in Raleigh and we currently can't drive so she's worried that she won't be able to apply because she can't get to any possible interview location.

The process will begin with the initial contact of the person who is interested with our volunteer staff. If they meet certain standards (such as age) they will be sent an application to fill out and return to us. For those living in the Raleigh area face to face interviews will be set up. For those living outside of the Raleigh area phone interviews will be conducted. Because phone interviews do not give the overall impression a face to face interview does, the staff may feel the need for a follow up phone conversation before a final decision is made.

Hope this helps.
BobD
Old Geezer

Next

Return to Animazement Central