• It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Waitlisters 2012

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

Waitlisters 2012

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Just wondering if anyone who ended up on the wait list has heard back about tables yet :) I still haven't heard anything back myself! Will there be an email to everyone saying if we got selected or not for the remaining tables?
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Re: Waitlisters 2012

Postby lillychan08 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi, I haven't heard anything yet myself nor one of my friends who also on the list. I thought from previous post that we were going to get an email no larger than the 18th which was yesterday.

I am a little worry. I would love to come down Animazement again this. :)

Lilly-chan
Lilly-chan
Conventions 2014!
Ohayocon|Shuto-con|Animazement?|Glass City|Matsuricon

Artist Alley
Lilly's Art (Green Table Cloth and Banner!)

Panels
Sailor Moon: Celebrating A New Generation of Fans Fan Panel

Lilly's Art & Lilly's Websites
Margaret Tyler's dA's portfolio gallery
Lilly's deviantART Art Gallery
Lilly's Art: the online art gallery of Meg Tyler
Moonlight Real Girls: A BSSMLA Fanlisting|Fansite
Family of Moonlight Blog- "Showcasing the very best from Sailor Moon Fans"
lillychan08
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby sakura-oki » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 pm

I remember a while back that after the initial round of payments that they had 6 tables open. Those were given out to waitlisters per lottery and that was it. I was holding out a little hope of an opening coming up but I am doubting it at this point.
sakura-oki
Citizen of Macross City

Postby summercloud » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:29 pm

I remember last year some people on the wait list were talking about getting a space in the Dealer's room together, though I don't know if they went through with it. Is anyone interested in trying for that this year? I don't know anything about applying, but I'm sure with a few of us the price would be reasonable.

Last year a LOT more people from the wait list got tables. I seem to remember something like a third of the original list defaulting; some of the wait-listed artists found out they got a table with pretty short notice. Guess we're not as lucky this year.

Hey, did anybody else notice that the stated date for the wait list notifications was "Sunday, March 19th?" Yesterday was the 18th, and today is a Monday... guess we didn't get picked either way!
summercloud
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby lillychan08 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 pm

summercloud wrote:I remember last year some people on the wait list were talking about getting a space in the Dealer's room together, though I don't know if they went through with it. Is anyone interested in trying for that this year? I don't know anything about applying, but I'm sure with a few of us the price would be reasonable.

Last year a LOT more people from the wait list got tables. I seem to remember something like a third of the original list defaulting; some of the wait-listed artists found out they got a table with pretty short notice. Guess we're not as lucky this year.

Hey, did anybody else notice that the stated date for the wait list notifications was "Sunday, March 19th?" Yesterday was the 18th, and today is a Monday... guess we didn't get picked either way!

Hi summercloud,

Last year about 7 of us went into the Dealer's Room for a booth since most of us had planned on going down to AZ. For this year I didn't want to go back into the Dealer's Room (I didn't sell anything in there. It's really hard for Artists to sell in the Dealer's Room; most people just want to buy official stuff in there.). I really missed being in the AA and most of my friends were there last year and are in there this year as well.

I would love to come back this year, but if not there is always next year. I do hear there is a change the AA would be in an Event Room and more openings then.

~Lilly-chan
Lilly-chan
Conventions 2014!
Ohayocon|Shuto-con|Animazement?|Glass City|Matsuricon

Artist Alley
Lilly's Art (Green Table Cloth and Banner!)

Panels
Sailor Moon: Celebrating A New Generation of Fans Fan Panel

Lilly's Art & Lilly's Websites
Margaret Tyler's dA's portfolio gallery
Lilly's deviantART Art Gallery
Lilly's Art: the online art gallery of Meg Tyler
Moonlight Real Girls: A BSSMLA Fanlisting|Fansite
Family of Moonlight Blog- "Showcasing the very best from Sailor Moon Fans"
lillychan08
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby Marzipan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:13 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I actually did hear back from AA. We won the blind lottery for one of the spots. I'm sorry that some of you did not get a response or were pulled out of that metaphorical hat. :cry: I wish everyone could be in AA that wanted to!
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby kojika » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Yah, I'm a waitlister who heard nothing. And just like most of you, I can't do this con without AA. I really want to, too, especially since they got Kotoko as a guest *flails*

But for me, it's like a 13 hour drive here, so you can imagine gas prices ^^; especially since I cover two shares of the trip (and car tends to be just the two of us).

Plus side is with most of my stuff, I can go half a table easily, but it's one of those cases, most people who DID get a table, even if they got a full one, probably aren't gonna be willing to give it up to us waitlisters.

at this point, I'm not holding my breath, but there's that part of me that's still hoping. I'll miss not doing this con if I can't. Will be my first time since 2005 not attending it...
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
*Saturday -Nami, Z Movie (One Piece)
*Sunday- Pariet (Summon Night 5)
kojika
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Marzipan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 pm

kojika wrote:...most people who DID get a table, even if they got a full one, probably aren't gonna be willing to give it up to us waitlisters.

As much as I would love to be selfless and kind enough to help, I am already sharing my spot with three other artists. We don't have enough space as it is! ^^;

You never know though, maybe something will come through for you. *crosses fingers* And girl I so feel you on paying for two, it kills me to pay for me and the husand when we go to cons. Otakon is going to break me. D:
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby kojika » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Marzipan wrote:As much as I would love to be selfless and kind enough to help, I am already sharing my spot with three other artists. We don't have enough space as it is! ^^;

You never know though, maybe something will come through for you. *crosses fingers* And girl I so feel you on paying for two, it kills me to pay for me and the husand when we go to cons. Otakon is going to break me. D:

Yeah, that's another issue, too. So many artist have already gone up and teamed up with others for their tables, cause of how small this AA suddenly got.

Ya know what's really funny, Otakon actually costs less for me. For one, they comp badges for panelists, so there's usually two badges I don't hafta pay. Also, it's only a 12 hour drive for me, and I usually get people to share ride with me, so less for gas. This year, the hotel I got is only $125 a night! Crazy cheap compared to most of the cons I'm at XD hahah. And then, I only ever do half a table there, cause can't afford a whole, and like to escape for other things.

I like hitting cons out east, but with costs going up, and more cons having to cut back on things like AA space, it just doesn't work out
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
kojika

Postby Shenanagan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:23 am

Congrats Marzipan and the other artists that got a table! Maybe next year they'll be able to get that big room they were talking about, and we can all be together at AA once again! In the meantime, I'll try some other cons. Lucky for me AZ is like, 15 minutes away! But to those of you who travel long distance, I understand too! It's hard to attend conventions that are far away and still hope to make a profit with AA once hotel and badge prices are involved. But best of luck to everyone at the Alley this year :)
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby ArcticPuppet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:28 pm

My friend was waitlisted and heard back, she gets half a table. I think if you haven't heard anything by now you're out of luck :(
I like Free Hugs and Anime
ArcticPuppet
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby BobGuy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am

We generally only send out emails to whoever was accepted in a blind lottery. We just didn't see the point in constantly emailing waitlisted artists to say "hey, still waitlisted!"
Artists Alley moderator
BobGuy

Postby kojika » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:11 am

I'm not used to having waitlisted be blind lottery either, but it's good that some people waitlisted got in, though for those of us still on it, at this point, such a short time to the con, highly doubtful there will be any changes.

Which puts me in a tough spot, since I have at least two people counting on me for room, but not sure if I can even afford to go. If I lived closer, it wouldn't be an issue, but since I've always gotten into their AA without being waitlisted til this year, I sorta came to count on that and was planning accordingly.

I'd still LIKE to go, especially since I wanna see Kotoko, but things like this just kill my chances. I usually tell people one of two requirements for cons that I go to...one is artist alley, and the other is getting my badge covered by doing hours of panels (which this con nulls the second).

It would be nice if at least a couple more waitlisters got in, but as I said, not holding my breath.
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
kojika

Postby ArcticPuppet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Was it first come first serve as far as tables went?
I like Free Hugs and Anime
ArcticPuppet

Postby kojika » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:26 pm

It was juried, which usually means that rather than first-come-first serve, it's based on what you sell. Like, they want to make sure there is a mix of stuff, and the like. Sometimes when your registration comes in DOES effect it, but it's mainly like they don't want all of it to be prints, or all be plushies.

Although I'll admit, if it was first-come-first-serve, I think I would have made the cut, since I got it in like within 10 minutes of it being up, lol. Though this is also the first time I didn't make it through jurying either D:
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
kojika

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Actually, it used to be done on a first-come-first-serve basis until last year. And people still had reasons to dislike it, so having it on an application basis was nice in that newcomers to AA could show they should also have a chance for a table. But now that there are so few tables and the jury process has gotten more strict, it is now less likely for people to be guaranteed a table year after year, even if they need one or should be able to have one. :\
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby kojika » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Yeah, I've been doing their AA here since like...2005? or so...I meant just juried in general. I tend to make it in, since I have some stuff that is uniquely me <3

What really hurt us this year in general was the cut on tables. Having never been waitlisted before, can't say I've talked with other waitlisters, but I don't think there were this many before. I mean, heck, last year I started with a half table but by the end, they offered me the other half (so course I took it).

I understand why the cut was, too. Unfortunately, when it comes to cons, they just can't win for losing. It's impossible to make EVERYONE happy. Ive begrudgingly accepted my fate as not getting in, although, like I mentioned, it also damages my plans heavily D: but not like there's anything that can be done, unless a spot opens up and I'm drafted up
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
kojika

Postby Shenanagan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:03 am

kojika wrote:Yeah, I've been doing their AA here since like...2005? or so...I meant just juried in general. I tend to make it in, since I have some stuff that is uniquely me <3

What really hurt us this year in general was the cut on tables. Having never been waitlisted before, can't say I've talked with other waitlisters, but I don't think there were this many before. I mean, heck, last year I started with a half table but by the end, they offered me the other half (so course I took it).

I understand why the cut was, too. Unfortunately, when it comes to cons, they just can't win for losing. It's impossible to make EVERYONE happy. Ive begrudgingly accepted my fate as not getting in, although, like I mentioned, it also damages my plans heavily D: but not like there's anything that can be done, unless a spot opens up and I'm drafted up

Yeah, I know what you mean. My sis and I thought we had unique items that few other people sold at AA, so it is rather surprising that we got waitlisted for the first time too. And you're right, it does seem like there's a whole lot more people on the waitlist, but it's probably because of the table cuts. It also affects some plans I've made, but it should still be fun to go and be a regular attendee for the first time in a long time, hehe!

Here's hoping next year we get that big room everybody keeps talking about! Then it can be business as usual! :)
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby BobGuy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Shenanagan wrote:and the jury process has gotten more strict

The jury process is the exact same as last year, certainly not more strict. Likewise, the rules we base the jury process on are the same as a few years back, even when it was first come first serve.

The only difference is the increase of applications combined with the loss of tables.

That, and last year we had dozens of accepted artists not pay, providing many empty spots for wait listed artists. Not the way this year went, with only a small handful not paying.
Artists Alley moderator
BobGuy

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 am

BobGuy wrote:The jury process is the exact same as last year, certainly not more strict. Likewise, the rules we base the jury process on are the same as a few years back, even when it was first come first serve.

The only difference is the increase of applications combined with the loss of tables.

That, and last year we had dozens of accepted artists not pay, providing many empty spots for wait listed artists. Not the way this year went, with only a small handful not paying.

Oh yes, I meant since there were fewer tables available there may have been a more refined selection process for the artists. And it is true, perhaps because so many people were wait listed, artists thought they should hold onto their table space and pay on time!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Next

Return to Artist Alley