• It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Working out and cosplay

Ask questions, discuss design tips and find others to organize a memorable photo shoot!

Moderator: PuppetQueen

Re: Working out and cosplay

Postby starlight_lady » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi,
I managed to lose 15 lbs from Feb to AZ this year.

Sadly, I hit a wall since then and I have just gotten lazy and gluttonous.

Good news, I haven't gained any weight, so I am on course to get started again. I just have to get my motovation back. :)
starlight_lady
Citizen of Macross City

Postby LadyEos2002 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Kinda crying happily right now. I've hit a pretty darn important milestone in my weight loss - which tells me that my new diet/exercise regime is working!
AZ 2012: Austria, Russia, Lithuania (storage room cleaning) - Hetalia
AZ 2013: secret!Ukraine and two other Hetalia cosplays~
LadyEos2002
Versailles Obsessed

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm kinda irritated right now. I am losing bulk in my midsection, as posted earlier.

But I still might need to go up a jacket size, because I cannot comfortably fit my BICEPS (and to a lesser extent, shoulders) into my normal size jackets.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Kettlebells routine (squats, swings, and clean presses) and then running (well, jogging). Haven't run/jogged in years. I'm still sucking wind. God I am out of shape.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby LadyEos2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:05 pm

Now that my hotel room has been reserved - yes, reservations are up folks! - time to kick this into high gear so I can hopefully get comfy enough in my own body to do Hetaloid!China this upcoming AZ!
AZ 2012: Austria, Russia, Lithuania (storage room cleaning) - Hetalia
AZ 2013: secret!Ukraine and two other Hetalia cosplays~
LadyEos2002
Versailles Obsessed

Postby Kantana_Amaya » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 am

It didn't feel real until I reserved my room this afternoon...and now I'm working on choosing my final costume for the con. One of my new ones, though, shows my stomach, and I really don't want it to be sticking out for pictures, y'know? So my overall goal is to lose about 30 pounds, but for AZ 10-20 would probably do the trick. My school's fitness center is like a 2 minute walk from me so I have no reasons to go! Cosplay is my motivation, though.

My main thing is to stop....sitting at my desk on my laptop all day. ^-^;; How much exercise a day/week is everyone else doing to get into Cosplay shape?
AZ 2014 Lineup

Mafia Miss Fortune - League of Legends [37%]
Country Lolita
Rock Gyaru
Kantana_Amaya
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 am

I try to spend at least 20 minutes on the treadclimber 4 days out of the week. With my school schedule I can't use the fitness center there cause... its only open when I have class.... *face desk* Again.

Though I took a break during the holiday because it was time I did a "break" from my diet anyway. XD Though my mom was nice enough to find my reduced fat cookies. Hope everyone had a good holiday and didn't go overboard with the food.
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby DiscoGraffiti » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Not really losing weight, per se, but I've never been particularly strong or in shape or..healthy, and I'm trying to tone up a bit, particularly my arms and tummy. I also gained a bit of weight recently from an adverse reaction to medication so I needed to shed that, but I'm almost where I was before I started taking it, at this point. Back to the toning bit, video game ladies keep me motivated for that, aha. I've been hitting the gym about four times a week for the cause. Cardio is starting to improve and I'm also seeing some results in the arms and torso. :3 Feels good.

Still cant give up cookies and sweets and burgers though and I've developed a terrible thing for Pepsi, which I know is awful for me and my skin especially after not drinking it for skin reasons for years. But early mornings, no. :'C /tl;drs all over this thread sorry bros
2013 PLANS
Judai [Yugioh GX]
Sinbad [Magi]
Shun [Shinsekai Yori]

http://starbeasts.tumblr.com/
http://discopower.deviantart.com/
DiscoGraffiti
Citizen of Macross City

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:54 pm

:O

I got a physical last week.

I was loosing very minimal weight around the midsection. But there is a reason I look a bit slimmer. Apparently, I got an inch and a half taller (how I did that at 25 I'll never know) and gained almost 30 pounds of muscle in upper torso, primarily the shoulders and back. So I'm not smaller, I'm bigger, but a little better proportioned.

Still, I wanted to break that damn scale when I saw that number. *mumblegrumble* I'm thinking about just saying screw it and going into power lifting. If I'm gonna be big anyway, might as well go for the Armstrong/Guts build.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby pancake-fong » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:56 pm

So, since January 1st (when my family and I started our "diet) I've managed to lose 13 lbs. And that's without exercise (which I am going to be doing ASAP!). I was 160 and am now 147. I'm sure I'll see more weight loss when I actually start moving around and doing stuff.
AZ '14 Plans: Emma Swan from Once Upon a Time
Me: Go team :rainbow: GOOOOOOO!!!!!
Little Brother: What? Team Rambo??
pancake-fong
Yuri-Pancake-Empress

Postby Lolitaskittle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Yay everybody! :D I'm not looking into losing any weight, but I thought I'd encourage you all! ^-^ Support is always good right? Two years ago cosplay encouraged me to lose weight! I wasn't that large, about 140 pounds, but I'm short... so I lost around 30 pounds! It's a lot easier than I thought... I just used a punching bag every night (helped relieve stress) and a stair-stepper. Diet-wise I just ate stuff like lean cuisine and watched my calories (calorie counting is really effective, I even ate fast food some days and it didn't screw me over since I watched the calories). Most of all I'd just say to keep a steady exercise routine and keep it up! Don't get discouraged if it doesn't drop fast. It took me around 4-5 or so months to get it all off. Sad thing is all of my old cosplay is too big now xD But oh well! I believe in everybody! :D
Okami Amaterasu: 100% <---- I'm surprised the whole thing wasn't ripped in half by the time the con was over xD
Lolitaskittle
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby donttouchmymilk » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 am

Sup guys. I know this thread isn't exactly thriving atm, but I wanted to throw in my progress too, since it's been on my mind!
I've been wanting to lose weight for a good while now, and cosplay really is a good motivator to get off the couch and out of the doritos bag. I joined a gym with my sister, and go to classes 3-4 days a week, and personal training once a week. I also went pescetarian (vegetarian plus fish) for the month of March, which for the most part has carried into April. I'm also trying to get out there and run, as I have a 5k coming up in two weeks. In the last couple of months, I've lost 17 pounds! Plus because of the weight training, it looks like I've lost more (weight training build muscle, which weighs more than fat. But it helps to tone and smooth your body, making you look like you've lost more) My ideal goal is to lose 10 more by AZ. May not be possible, but I'm sure going to try!

Keep kicking ass, everybody! You can do it. And for those of you in college, take advantage of your campus athletic center if you have one. I mean, you're already paying for it in your tuition, and you will never have that kind of access again. Trust me.
AZ 2014 Posibilities
Effie Butterfly Dress (HG Catching Fire) - 20%
Clicker (Last of Us) - 65%
Karen Smith Halloween outfit (Mean Girls) - 75%
Ursula (Little Mermaid)- 100%

http://donttouchmymilk.deviantart.com/
donttouchmymilk
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby Tali'Zorah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 pm

I tried to start working out and dieting recently x.x Diet foods are evil! No wonder those models on tv are so bratty and mean, they're hungry! x.x
I found that DDR is a good workout :3
Tali'Zorah
Citizen of Macross City

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Tali'Zorah wrote:I tried to start working out and dieting recently x.x Diet foods are evil! No wonder those models on tv are so bratty and mean, they're hungry! x.x
I found that DDR is a good workout :3

I like all the diet food I eat. o.o' It's all really tasty so you must be eating the bad kind lol.
Got back to working out! Really need to keep it up. @.@
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby AZ_belle_45 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:26 am

I started doing zumba and trying to get in at least 50 sit ups a day ^^ it is helping slowly, hopefully I will see more progress before AZ
~if life is but a fleeting dream...please do not wake me~
~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~

planned AZ 2014 cosplay:
Fight club captain Mako--kill la kill
Happy--Fairy Tail
Crimson Viper--Street Fighter
Bunny Maid
AZ_belle_45
Your Emergency Flotation Device

Postby birdguy » Mon May 07, 2012 10:40 pm

only a few weeks left guys, keep the motivation up!
2012 cosplays
Raikage (Naruto)
Zack (DOA2)
Ruby Rhod (for 1 hour)

cosplay pic portfolio
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjr3ARhj
birdguy

Postby donttouchmymilk » Tue May 08, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm officially at the lowest weight I've been since I started college. Losing six more pounds by AZ may be wishful thinking, but I'm sure going to try!

You can do it, ladies and gents! Let's keep kicking ass.
AZ 2014 Posibilities

donttouchmymilk

Postby birdguy » Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 pm

one week left guys, stick to your diets but don't forget to get some REST! The last week before go time is usually pretty hectic. Rest is just as important as diet and exercise. Keep at it guys!
2012 cosplays
Raikage (Naruto)
Zack (DOA2)
Ruby Rhod (for 1 hour)

cosplay pic portfolio
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjr3ARhj
birdguy

Postby donttouchmymilk » Fri May 18, 2012 8:20 am

That's an excellent point. Between working out, my normal job, and rushing to finish costumes, the world is a pretty stressful place right now. Will hopefully finish everything this weekend so I can spend the final few days relaxing and packing. Good luck to everyone else. Stay rested, be well. :D
AZ 2014 Posibilities

donttouchmymilk

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:25 am

Still keeping an eye on what I eat, and I've been working out at least 4-5 times a week these last few weeks. @.@
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

PreviousNext

Return to Cosplay Q and A