• It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:19 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

$$$ Convention Budgets

Talk about your Animazement plans, and count down the days to Memorial Day weekend with us.

Moderator: Macross-Junkie

$$$ Convention Budgets

Postby invader56 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Who here has already started saving? Who hasn't? I hope you have it's ever so close.

This year I'm going with a $100 for everything budget, meaning $100 per day to spend on con stuff and $100 for the entire weekend to spend on food and coffee. A total of $400 for the con.

I had a similar budget last year, it seemed to be at the right amount where you can not worry about buying stuff, but still have to keep in mind things like "well do I get the figure or the dvd set" "Art I can only get right now, but that shirt I can buy next month online"

What works for you guys? Whats your spending plans? I know some like to break it up even more than per day, and do like a dvd fund, food fund, figure fund, shirt fund.
invader56
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Re: $$$ Convention Budgets

Postby MyBrokenStar811 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Animazement is the one time a year that I buy anime merchandise so I spend big. Last year I brought $1000 with me. This year I plan to bring even more. The dealers room is my favorite part about animazement. There is just too much stuff and I want to get everything that I want. But ya I am kind of like you in a sense where if its cheaper online I'll wait til after the convention is over to get it. I also love the stuff ppl sell in artist alley. And I go to the bar too for drinks lol. Its like my annual vacation and I don't wanna have to worry about if I'm gonna have enough.
MyBrokenStar811
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:21 am

I agree that the Dealer's Room is one of my favorite parts of the con.

That said, I keep maybe $200 spending cash for that, and the same for essentials like food and the like. Everyone who rooms with me are, for the most part, bums. I buy all the food, drinks, pay for the room, etc. And I usually loan/give my little sister $100+ from the DR cash to get her more figures. I like walking around, but there ain't much in there I really want to buy.

I'm thinking about putting the squeeze on the bums this year though. They're chipping in on something dammit.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Marzipan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:00 pm

I would totally cut those bums out. You work too hard for your money to just hand it out.

Minimum moneys I pull back for me and the husband is 500.00 for both of us. If we end up having the opportunity to have more saved, we bring it. :3 200 for the hotel and 150 each to spend on dealers room and food. Our badges are always paid for in advance.
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Badges are always ordered the day after the con ends here. :D

And I'm putting the squeeze on the losers this year. I have no problem helping my sis out, she has no steady income. Those two do.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby invader56 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:31 am

kaiser_forsaken wrote:Badges are always ordered the day after the con ends here. :D

For me as well, that's the best $35 I'll prob spend the whole year.
invader56
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 am

Budget's tighter this year without Artist Alley to back it up :P But usually I spend about $100 at AZ, not counting food and all the previously bought stuff (registration, hotel, etc). Definitely pre-registering the day after con is the best plan for anyone who wants to save some money for con time!!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby megaplushie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:31 pm

For the past 2 years, I made $100 last the entire weekend. That even included paying for the following year's badge. This year, I might have an extra $25-50 to spend on stuff.
megaplushie
OM NOM NOM NOM

Postby Shadou » Sat May 12, 2012 10:06 pm

My suggestion for cutting down on the food bill a bit(unless you go the ramen route) or getting a parking space away from the convention center is to abuse the R line bus http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/get-around/r-line since the restaurants nearby can be a little on the expensive side. And its free!

Off the top of my head I know it goes in front of the Flying Saucer bar and has a major stop at Moore Station which has a bunch of cheap places nearby (Big Ed's, Subway, Pharoah's etc.).
#4278 +(7916)- [X]
<BombScare> i beat the internet
<BombScare> the end guy is hard
Shadou
Citizen of Macross City

Return to Convention Discussion