• It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

What's with all the rejected panels?

Got an idea for a panel? Want to know what others think? Need to give a shout out to panel staff? Come on in!

Moderators: Macross-Junkie, Kurotsubasa

What's with all the rejected panels?

Postby NekozawaFan » Wed May 09, 2012 9:09 am

I now know ten people who had their panels rejected this year, even those who were long runners!
What gives? This doesn't seem like the AZ I know!
Animazement 2012 - Grell Sutcliff (Reaper ver.) with Deathscythe.
NekozawaFan
Newest Host in Ouran High School

Re: What's with all the rejected panels?

Postby BobD » Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 am

NekozawaFan wrote:I now know ten people who had their panels rejected this year, even those who were long runners!

1. I guess everyone thinks that their panel is unique. But when we get 15 to 20 Improv panel requests (It's Animazement, we are not a comedy club) several Sailor Moon requests and requests that are just plain boarderline in regard to their relation to Japanese culture, anime and manga, well, some hard decisions have to be made.
2. Back to back panels are very chaotic for panelists and staff. We are seeking to put a 30 minute buffer between each panel. With this one panel can effectively wrap up and still give another panel time to get in and set up. Panels can start on time without wasting time coming in and setting up when they should have already been up and running.
3. We have Japanese and American industry guests for a reason. They are the professionals and add a great deal of insight about the business. These are the people attendees want to see and hear from. These will take the major portion of panel time, cultural panels come in second and fan panels fill the remainder of our schedule.
4. We strive to have a variety of topics in our panels.
5. To be fair we sought to fit panels in at their requested days and times. Some panels were declined for this reason. We simply could not fit them in where they wanted to be. Panels were divided into their repective day and time requests and chosen on that basis. Sunday panels are especially hard to fill. However, the schdule will reflect that regardless of what you think of the topics offered, these were the people that were willing to request Sundays or were flexible enough to request the "any time/any day option. We have these options for a reason. And when all is said and done we cannot go back to each panel we cut to see if they want to move their day and time. That would not be fair to those who were willing to take these positions in the first place.

We didn't cut to be mean. We are seeking to make Animazement flow smoother with panels and events that interest those who are attending the convention. Nor are we here to cater to any one group. I know that Artists focus on Artist Alley, anime buffs focus on the Video Rooms, Cosplayers focus on the contests and Panelist focus on the panels. Each thinks their area of the convention is the most important and should be bigger. But it doesn't work that way. We are trying to offer enough in each area to satisfy as well as introduce other options for the convention attendee.
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby SailorAstera » Wed May 09, 2012 10:02 am

I think also, because only the rejection notices have gone out and not the acceptances the news seems overwhelmingly bad right now.
SailorAstera
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Shenanagan » Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 pm

I know of a few panels that got accepted, and not everyone has updated their panel status. Here's hoping there will be more acceptances posted to balance out everyone that got rejected!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Shenanagan » Wed May 09, 2012 12:04 pm

BobD wrote:I know that Artists focus on Artist Alley, anime buffs focus on the Video Rooms, Cosplayers focus on the contests and Panelist focus on the panels. Each thinks their area of the convention is the most important and should be bigger. But it doesn't work that way. We are trying to offer enough in each area to satisfy as well as introduce other options for the convention attender.

Being a supporter of the Artist Alley, I understand when it comes to trying to make our concerns known in order to make that part of the con better. But I certainly don't think of any part of the convention as more important than the others! Since without the other parts, it wouldn't be much of a convention. We'd like to thank the staff for working so hard just to be able to keep all the areas still going!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby IsiInoForever » Wed May 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Bob d,

After reading your post I fully understand. I have to admit that was a little dissappointed my panel didn't came through and maybe bc I wasn't too flexible with the time\day. But I don't regret my submission and the time/day was needed due to the content of the panel.

You and the rest of the az staff are just doing ur job and people should not give you a hard time.
Az 2014 Cosplay:
Jynx/Pokemon : 10 %
TenderHeart/Care Bear : 100% done
Melophme (one of the Muses)/Disney's Hercules : 10%
IsiInoForever
Skilled Valkyrie Pilot

Postby ilovebutch19 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:45 pm

NekozawaFan wrote:I now know ten people who had their panels rejected this year, even those who were long runners!

Tell me about it! I have done panels for 4 years in a row and mine was rejected!

But I do agree with what BobD said. I guess what he said made me feel a lot better :D
ImageImage

Cosplays for 2014:
Good Luck Care Bear - 0%
Muse (Hercules) - 0%
Fruit Loop Girl - 0%
OTP Character- Rayana (?) - 60%
ilovebutch19
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Greatsg » Thu May 10, 2012 3:50 am

A thing people should remember, not everyone who submits panels posts here on the forums about their events, so a good chance is a number of approved panels are from people who attend the con but don't go onto convention forums.

I've been running panels at Animazement nonstop since 2005, and while I had one rejection notice sent to me for a panel I was hoping to run again, but that also left five other panels I submitted which I still don't know the approval status of or not yet. That's also why I haven't made threads related to any of my music panels like Awesomely Bad J-Music Videos or even to the MST3K showings yet because I don't like to prematurely hype up an event that might be rejected (If they are approved though, I will be sure to let you all know though!)

A big issue I noticed on the forums this year with quite a few rejected panels was that there was a lot of discussion and activity being done for panels that didn't meet the guideline of "Panels should reflect an aspect of anime, manga, or Japanese culture." Heck, I really dig Homestuck, but I understand why it was rejected; and if the con was to ever reject my MST3K showings I would understand why (there's only so many Gamera movies they watched!)

A word of advice from a panel verteran, it's always good to plan your event ahead of time and do the prep work, but never assume you'll be approved. You also shouldn't be surprised how late in the game panels can be approved. Even Otakon one year didn't get notifications out until barely three weeks before the con and my first year at Animazement my panel wasn't approved until the very last minute. So things like that do happen.
"THE INTERNET HAS LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!"
Greatsg
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby ilovebutch19 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 am

Greatsg does have a good point. I Mean just because my panel was not accepted this year does not mean I need to quit submitting panels! I will try next year!

Anyway, the stuff that I had for my panel I can always use it somewhere else :3
ImageImage

Cosplays for 2014:
Good Luck Care Bear - 0%
Muse (Hercules) - 0%
Fruit Loop Girl - 0%
ilovebutch19
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Shenanagan » Thu May 10, 2012 9:32 am

Greatsg wrote:A word of advice from a panel verteran, it's always good to plan your event ahead of time and do the prep work, but never assume you'll be approved. You also shouldn't be surprised how late in the game panels can be approved. Even Otakon one year didn't get notifications out until barely three weeks before the con and my first year at Animazement my panel wasn't approved until the very last minute. So things like that do happen.

It is stressful when you only hear from them at the last minute, and while I've never ran a panel I can definitely understand the need to schedule my weekend and only getting the schedule the day before the con! But it is true what Bob says, there's so many panel submissions and only a certain number of hours to fit them in that no wonder it takes a long time for those schedules to come out!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby ilovebutch19 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:18 am

Shenanagan wrote:
Greatsg wrote:A word of advice from a panel verteran, it's always good to plan your event ahead of time and do the prep work, but never assume you'll be approved. You also shouldn't be surprised how late in the game panels can be approved. Even Otakon one year didn't get notifications out until barely three weeks before the con and my first year at Animazement my panel wasn't approved until the very last minute. So things like that do happen.

It is stressful when you only hear from them at the last minute, and while I've never ran a panel I can definitely understand the need to schedule my weekend and only getting the schedule the day before the con! But it is true what Bob says, there's so many panel submissions and only a certain number of hours to fit them in that no wonder it takes a long time for those schedules to come out!

BobD and the others at Animazement work hard to make sure we have a great convention every year! They don't mean to make people upset but that is part of the circle of life of the convention. Besides, there is always next year! :D
ImageImage

Cosplays for 2014:
Good Luck Care Bear - 0%
Muse (Hercules) - 0%
Fruit Loop Girl - 0%
ilovebutch19
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby Sondossa » Sat May 12, 2012 12:06 am

BobD wrote:I know that Artists focus on Artist Alley, anime buffs focus on the Video Rooms, Cosplayers focus on the contests and Panelist focus on the panels. Each thinks their area of the convention is the most important and should be bigger.

But my area of the convention IS the most important! :lol:

In all seriousness though, I had a lot of friends who applied for panels and most of them were rejected but I completely understand what BobD is saying. I've been to cons where there have been a thousand, say, Sailor Moon panels and pretty much nothing else.

It's just the year and what happens. You win some, you lose some.
animazement 2013 cosplay
|| meenah peixes || junko enoshima || tbd ||
Sondossa
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby Seraphina » Sat May 12, 2012 1:20 am

I completely understand where the panel committee is coming from. However, when you have panelists traveling from out of state it's only polite to let them know sooner rather than later. Everyone likes to be able to plan ahead, at least most people do. Speaking from a performers point of view, I receive booking requests often. When I set aside a date for conventions, I lose any other business (including paying gigs). So it's very frustrating to have to wait til the last minute. It's also very disheartening considering this was my last trip to the Carolinas.

However, I'm sure the panels that make the cut are very entertaining and will be a lot of fun! So, I hope everyone has a great time at the con. <3
Seraphina
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Tavex » Sat May 12, 2012 1:22 am

You can't make everyone happy.

Nuff said.
Cosplay for 2014 AZ:

Mushishi: Ginko

Final Fantasy XIII: Snow (MIGHT do this again)

Tavex
Pokémon Master

Postby Tigress » Sun May 13, 2012 2:29 am

To those that got rejected, don't lose hope. Mine was initially rejected and Bob called me this morning to ask if I was still interested in presenting the panel since they had to shuffle some things around.
Kat's Play -- Costume Artist

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should've been more specific.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Postby PixelKitty » Sun May 20, 2012 11:02 am

BobD wrote:

1. I guess everyone thinks that their panel is unique. But when we get 15 to 20 Improv panel requests (It's Animazement, we are not a comedy club) several Sailor Moon requests and requests that are just plain boarderline in regard to their relation to Japanese culture, anime and manga, well, some hard decisions have to be made.
2. Back to back panels are very chaotic for panelists and staff. We are seeking to put a 30 minute buffer between each panel. With this one panel can effectively wrap up and still give another panel time to get in and set up. Panels can start on time without wasting time coming in and setting up when they should have already been up and running.
3. We have Japanese and American industry guests for a reason. They are the professionals and add a great deal of insight about the business. These are the people attendees want to see and hear from. These will take the major portion of panel time, cultural panels come in second and fan panels fill the remainder of our schedule.
4. We strive to have a variety of topics in our panels.
5. To be fair we sought to fit panels in at their requested days and times. Some panels were declined for this reason. We simply could not fit them in where they wanted to be. Panels were divided into their repective day and time requests and chosen on that basis. Sunday panels are especially hard to fill. However, the schdule will reflect that regardless of what you think of the topics offered, these were the people that were willing to request Sundays or were flexible enough to request the "any time/any day option. We have these options for a reason. And when all is said and done we cannot go back to each panel we cut to see if they want to move their day and time. That would not be fair to those who were willing to take these positions in the first place.

We didn't cut to be mean. We are seeking to make Animazement flow smoother with panels and events that interest those who are attending the convention. Nor are we here to cater to any one group. I know that Artists focus on Artist Alley, anime buffs focus on the Video Rooms, Cosplayers focus on the contests and Panelist focus on the panels. Each thinks their area of the convention is the most important and should be bigger. But it doesn't work that way. We are trying to offer enough in each area to satisfy as well as introduce other options for the convention attendee.

I'm personally very happy to hear so much consideration is being given to the variety and quality of panels this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the schedule!
PIXEL KITTY COSPLAY:http://www.facebook.com/PixelKittyCosplay (>")> Please visit and "Like" my cosplay page!
PixelKitty
Shonen Bat Victim

Return to Everything Panels