• It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Got a question for staff or feedback pertaining to Animazment to make it the best convention in the United States? Unload it here! Don't worry, we can take it!

Moderator: BobD

Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Postby Marzipan » Wed May 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Because we will be needing this thread soon. After everyone's fun times Sunday evening please post any suggestions or thoughts you have here! :3

Please sticky this thread. <3
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Re: Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Postby Shenanagan » Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks Marzipan! For a second I thought people already started making suggestions! XD
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Animetalchick » Thu May 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Not sure if it's too late for suggestions, but more water coolers near the dance on Saturday would be great^^!
Cosplay 2013:
Yukiko Amagi from Persona 4
Asuka from Evangelion
Animetalchick
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby Marzipan » Thu May 24, 2012 12:52 pm

This is for this weekend hun, not last year. XD You're too early.

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Marzipan » Sun May 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Ok! As usual time for my review on this years AZ!

Good:
-Met some awesome forumers thanks to Bobd finding a way to squeeze Puppet's panel in.
- AA setup was stupendous. I loved having the opportunity to sell again this year.
- I saw lots of water stations!
- Photoshoot posters looked amazing, thank you staff for permitting it and thank you Katharine for having them made.
- The announcements were easier to hear! Especially in the dealer's room.
- RCC staff was SUPER nice!

Bad:
- The attendees were realllllly bad at just stopping and congregating in the walking space and were overall ruder than usual. By Saturday I literally stopped caring and just started pushing my way through. Can we get a staff member to walk the halls and help with traffic flow? =/
- The plants in AA were not moved out of traffic flow and they took a beating. :(
- We were just sitting in a corner and were asked to move twice because there was an autograph session. Once was understandable as we were in the way, the second time was bizarre and unnecessary. It's hard to get up while wearing a hoop skirt.

Other than that, I currently have no more complaints or compliments. ^_^

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby banvoic3 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Alright my turn. :3

Good:
-Met some awesome people this year. Love you guys!
-The staff (as Marzi said) were amazingly nice
-AA was easier to pass through than last year (in my opinion)

Bad:
-As previously stated, people stopping for no reason was really getting on my nerves, especially when I was kind of in a rush to get places. This con has and is getting bigger so we need people to start regulating that a bit more.
-I'm not sure if AZ can even control this or not but I wore warmer cosplay this year because last year it was cool inside. I expected it to be cool this year as well but I ended up having to remove parts of my cosplay at times to get comfortable. Long story short, is it possible to have more air conditioning circulating? ^_^ Especially in the panel rooms?

If I can think of anything else then I'll add it. :3
AZ'14
Hoka Inumuta (Kill la Kill)
Fact Core (Portal 2)
Otacon (MGS2)
Tokiya Ichinose (Uta-Pri)
banvoic3
Newest Host in Ouran High School

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:21 pm

The good:
-Staff was nice, even the badge checkers were very nice this year, most of them.
-Craft being two days, always a helpful.
-The others that were in the Masq besides my friend and I, everyone was nice and we all had fun.
-AA layout, the spaces where the openings were were larger this year so it was easier for those in larger costumes to get in and out more easily.
-Craft Judges & Skit Judges: Both sets are wonderful.
-The guy who made sure the projector would work with my laptop for the panel.

The bad:
-During Masq after those of us competing did our skits we were told to go back to Ballroom C, fine no problem there, the problem is we realized after awhile there was no staff in there with us, where we'd been leaving bags or important props while we were going on stage. Nor did staff ever come to get us so we could get awards, we had to run to Ballroom A once they announced they were starting to give the awards.
-Having the problem with being let down into the Dealers room to work for Funi, I nearly had to call the contact since the staff member thought I was just lieing.
-Craftsmanship being pretty much in a tiny hall part of con ops... can we get a room again?

Probably have more later...
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Sun May 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Good

- As usual, Spike rocked the place. You guys need to keep him coming back.

- RCC Staff was great as usual, Elite Security was, in my experiences, much improved over last year. One or two might have gotten a little ahead of themselves, but on the whole they were very professional in their conduct.

- Marriott staff was far more amicable to con-goers than the last time I stayed there, back in '08.

- Water Stations. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

- As mentioned AA was well set-up. Keep doing that.

Needs Improvement

- Many panels I'd like to attend were all scheduled simultaneously. Hell, Spike, on top of each other. KOTOKO & Spike, same time. Retro Hell, Spike, Dance, MST3K, same damn time. There are blocks during the day with little activity, and even considering set-up for major events, could we get a little more breathing room? Spent most of my weekend either rushing to get to multiple events or sitting and waiting.

- Rules seemed to be variably enforced. I openly carried a prop all day Friday, in two separate costumes, all with no issue. Saturday I was constantly hassled about it. Same prop, different people.

- Another example of the previous, I went to the dance with an LED staff (which I've brought every year since we were in the Sheraton) and was stopped at the door by an AZ staff member and told "No Props", a rule not listed on the banned items list by the ballroom door. I accepted that at face value. Later I see a guy with GIANT prop hands for his Chouji costume walking out of the dance with glowsticks wrapped around it. It is NOT POSSIBLE that guy was not noticed going in. I don't mind being told new rules. I understand things change. What I do not care for is being held to rules others aren't.

- If Animazement brings back more musical guests in the future, it might be a good idea not to only do a single concert the entire weekend. It puts an "all or nothing" mentality on attendance. That causes stuff like the river of people from the Ballroom to the lobby. NOIZ did two shows both years, and while kind of crowded, the lines didn't approach even half of the line for KOTOKO's show.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby volley94 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:06 pm

I only went on sunday this year but i loved it walking around there was more room in the artist ally i really couldnt think of anything bad i know when people wanted to take pictures and kinda stopped in the middle of walk ways but i did it also so cant really complane there. Over all i loves this year oh wait this was my first tiime being there past like 3 pm on sunday and the teeshirt throwing thing was a bit much i mean people were killing others for a shirt and inwas just afriad i was going to be slapped in the face by a teeshirt or an elbow but all in all i loves this year thought i was only there sunday.
Cant wait for 2011AZ.
Fumi from shigofumi:
Wig - wating confermation.
Out fit: just need to order
hat/bag:
Hello kitty:
Just need to find a decent one to order.lol
Lolita:
Wig: need to order one either curled or uncurled.
Dress: cant figure out where to buy one from.lol there are so many sites.
Shoes: i'm thinking i'll get them from milanoo.
volley94
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby djkidna » Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Pretty pleased with Animazement this year. For those who don't know, myself and my compadres ran the Kamen Rider and Toku Talk panels on Friday night and they were pretty amazing. If anyone's got pics of me as Black Mage and Alexandra Allen as White Mage from Friday, or when I was in my black Pirate Sentai Gokaiger garb with the feathered hat on Saturday, please send me a link or whatever. One of the best AZs in a while. Got to meet so many awesome people. Just about everyone I met was really cool and fun to talk to. For anyone who missed out on meeting us, just know that the Rajio Nihon posse are absolutely coming back next year for more fun.
Just about everyone in our group enjoyed the panels that were there, unfortunately missed some photoshoots because of how short they were, but that's ok, because fun was still had. Only thing that sucked was two people not being able to get into our 18+ panel because they'd just drove in from way out of town right around 11, and 18+ wrist bands weren't being given out past 10. I'm glad staff were as cordial and tried to assist as much as they could, still keeping in mind they needed to do their job, but I'm hoping next year there might be a way to keep staff around a little longer. Totally understand though. Also at first I thought the new prop check thing was a little overkill, but after thinking about it, it's very understandable and I totally support it.
The only major issue I had was with a guest panel that was right before our own panel. They started an autograph session, and instead of things getting cut off when their time was up and it was time for my own panel to start, staff told me they would have to move me to another room. Again, staff was as helpful as they could be in the situation, but I really think there should be some control over the situation. Last year when my group were attending a guest panel and the guests started autographs, when it was time for the next panel, staff came up and asked that the autographs be moved to one of the vacant tables outside the room. No one had a problem with this, even with a decent line already going, and I don't understand why that couldn't be done this time.
Dealer's room was pretty amazing, art auction was pretty amazing. Another thing that bothered me was a couple of friends of mine who do fanart of tokusatsu, anime, and fighting games were denied, being told their art was lacking in the Japanese-ness. But then walking around artist alley, I saw quite a few booths that barely had anything Japanese going on.

I love this con, and I love all the staff that I encountered. I hope things are even better next year.
djkidna
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Shadou » Mon May 28, 2012 12:19 am

Not one the best of the ones I've attended but not the worst.

Pros:
- Love how you streamlined much of the badge and tickets to cut down on lines.
- Staff was very helpful when dealing with an uppity video room (the audio; not the audience).

Cons:
- As other said, people randomly stopping in the hallway to talk to friends; even more so when it was a sudden stop and I took several props to the gut and / or face.
- If it wasn't the props, it was people with the huge wings taking out people in the dealer's room. It wouldn't bother me so much if those people actually seemed to care.
- Not sure if this was on the Merriot or the RCC; late Saturday night several of the big steel doors and the entry/exit arms went down and caused people to be stranded from the cars with no way out (one of the pedestrian entries on the street was locked). This may also be considered a fire hazard. Supposedly a tech guy was going to unlock the doors for us but never showed.
Can we get some more people on staff monitoring the parking lot?
#4278 +(7916)- [X]
<BombScare> i beat the internet
<BombScare> the end guy is hard
Shadou
Citizen of Macross City

Postby whitless256 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:49 am

- Not sure if this was on the Merriot or the RCC; late Saturday night several of the big steel doors and the entry/exit arms went down and caused people to be stranded from the cars with no way out (one of the pedestrian entries on the street was locked). This may also be considered a fire hazard. Supposedly a tech guy was going to unlock the doors for us but never showed.
Can we get some more people on staff monitoring the parking lot?

This would have probably been because of the massive power outage that happened for several blocks of downtown Raleigh on Saturday night. Not even the AZ staff has control over that sort of thing. And even if ther were no massive power outage, AZ staff isn't responsible for the downtown Raleigh parking decks.
whitless256

Postby Shadou » Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 am

whitless256 wrote:This would have probably been because of the massive power outage that happened for several blocks of downtown Raleigh on Saturday night. Not even the AZ staff has control over that sort of thing. And even if ther were no massive power outage, AZ staff isn't responsible for the downtown Raleigh parking decks.

Even so as a large Con that seems to invoke Murphy's Law a lot, I would think Animazement would be able to talk to whomever's in charge of the lot and ask them to have a real tech guy on standby. It'll also prevent us calling the cops too possibly.
#4278 +(7916)- [X]
Shadou
Citizen of Macross City

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:16 am

Shadou wrote:
whitless256 wrote:This would have probably been because of the massive power outage that happened for several blocks of downtown Raleigh on Saturday night. Not even the AZ staff has control over that sort of thing. And even if ther were no massive power outage, AZ staff isn't responsible for the downtown Raleigh parking decks.

Even so as a large Con that seems to invoke Murphy's Law a lot, I would think Animazement would be able to talk to whomever's in charge of the lot and ask them to have a real tech guy on standby. It'll also prevent us calling the cops too possibly.

A transformer had been knocked out, this knocked out several areas of power, that will cause the doors to fail and not even tech guys can make power come back and make the doors work. Its a type of thing that can't be helped but just dealt with.
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby Shadou » Mon May 28, 2012 1:20 am

MinaUchiha2 wrote:A transformer had been knocked out, this knocked out several areas of power, that will cause the doors to fail and not even tech guys can make power come back and make the doors work. Its a type of thing that can't be helped but just dealt with.

Allow me to clarify, this all happened at least 2 hours after the electricity came back, therefore we had electricity but the doors were locked. I was under the impression that the doors can be 'unlocked' since that is what the tech guy that worked there said he could do. Hence my suggestion.
#4278 +(7916)- [X]
Shadou
Citizen of Macross City

Postby djkidna » Mon May 28, 2012 1:22 am

Having a tech guy isn't going to fix an issue most likely caused by a power outage. Especially a power outage possibly caused by physical damage to a transformer as has been reported. It's also possible that they were worried about more accidents being caused by people driving in darkened streets without working traffic lights and so they may have not even wanted to open up the garages until the issue had been resolved or they got more cops on the scene.
djkidna
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Shenanagan » Mon May 28, 2012 9:07 am

Here are my suggestions based on what I noted this year. I did not have an Artist Alley table this year, so I guess my perspective on it is not from direct experience behind the table.

What Was Good:
-Although it took forever, the lines to claim badges and register for the convention went much more smoothly than previous years. Going on Thursday saved me a lot of time over the weekend, but maybe having more staff to help out with badges can make it run faster.
-Thank you so much for the water coolers at the dance, as kaiser-forsaken put it. I hope there was less trash around the coolers than in previous years!
-The panel selection was varied and interesting this year. I really enjoyed the Anime You May Have Missed panel, and I also enjoyed helping out with the How To Take Commissions/Managing Your Collections panel. Everyone was knowledgeable and both panels were entertaining.
-I noticed the Artist Alley improved a lot as far as how people display their work, the flexibility of pricing, and the overall quality of the work being sold. This encourages me to kick my stuff up a notch! And I'm definitely going to try again for a table next year.
-I loved meeting everybody and making art trades with people! This was probably my favorite thing about AZ this year. I also enjoyed meeting all of you forum folk at the panel on Saturday! You guys are hilarious XD
-Thank you for having more large-scale schedules posted on the walls of the convention. This made it a lot easier to quickly glance at panels I wanted to go to as well as corrections to the panels that were either relocated or under different names!
-Hooray for the photo shoot flyers! This made things so much easier and I did not miss a single photo shoot I had wanted to attend! Thanks Marzipan and the team of artists that put it together!
-I liked the buffer between panels, it was nice not to have to rush to get to the next panel most of the time!
-Like Marzipan said, I did find it easier to hear announcements too!
-I noticed the layout for the Dealer's Room included a lot more booths!

What Needs Improvement:
-There was a guy smoking INSIDE the Convention Center. What.
-I know I'm about to be Johnny One-Note right now but: I did notice a lot of Artist Alley people did not show up on Friday or Saturday morning. I thought part of what got people accepted was the fact that you would be there the entire weekend.
-One thing I noticed about the badge lines was that several badges were missing for people who pre-registered. Don't quite know what can be done about this, but some people couldn't get in Friday because of this problem.
-The microphones in the panels kept getting cut off! Either we got Loki'd or the sound was faulty throughout the weekend. This not only happened at my panel but in other panels as well. Was it because of announcements?
-I heard people complaining about the autograph sessions, and while I am not as familiar with how that went this weekend, I do remember it being more conveniently scheduled in previous years.
-This may sound picky, but whoever the first DJ was for the Saturday night dance was awful. The mixing was bad, the songs were bad, and whenever he had the crowd going he just stopped and went in a completely different direction. After an hour of this, about a third of the people who were pumped about the dance just left. Amaya saved the day.
-As some other people mentioned before, I did notice the layout of Artist Alley was bigger, but also led to narrower passageways between islands. I also did find myself being smacked with large props and wings throughout the weekend, but it was not exclusively around Artist Alley.
-The Art Room. I put up my magnets in the art room, and while most of the bidders came by and dropped off their money, a few of them were no-shows. And this was not just for my stuff. I talked to the people who were working at the room all weekend and they said they had more people not show up to pay for work this year than in previous years. This is shameful and ridiculous. If you do not plan on coming back Sunday afternoon to pick up the work you wanted, do not bid on it. Artists work really hard on their pieces and expect to get compensated for it when at least one person bids on it. There should also be a policy where no-shows get penalized for leaving artists hanging like that. A lot of us have to get flights or drive back home, so you are wasting the artists' time by not coming by and paying for their work.

These were my initial impressions of AZ this year. I will probably add some more stuff later if I think of it! Hope this is helpful for planning next year!
Last edited by Shenanagan on Mon May 28, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby DrGonzo369 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:30 am

Good: Thanks to all staff for a kickass con, power outages included.
Thanks to Cameron,Phil, and all the guys over at the Marriott for carrying on the show when the power went out as Retro Hell was just about to start.
Shout out to Realms Anime for being an awesome dealer in the dealers room.
Thanks to PuppetQueen and Marzipan for the Forum meetup panel!
Thanks to cosplayers reading and respecting the rules as far as costume regulations go. We didn't have nearly as many violations this year as last.

I laugh everytime someone sees me and calls me Gonzo and has no idea who I really am. It's like I'm con famous or something. lol

Bad: Some of the con goers don't know how to read or think that the rules don't include them. Airsofts have been BANNED for a few years now. Just because it is broken doesn't mean that someone won't think it's real (especially Raleigh PD). Arguing this point and getting pissed when I tell you THREE times to take an airsoft out isn't going to make you look any better. Same thing with Live Steel and tools being brought in.

I personally had a hard time finding crap I wanted to buy. But that's just me, probably.

Inbetween: Sometimes the guests have things set up a certain way, like 1 show per con and no pics/video. Please keep that in mind when complaining about only 1 show or how things with a guest run. SmokingGun has a variety of band/actor riders (demands for performing to venues) if you want to see the insanity that is famous people (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage). We as staff must adhere to this stuff as well, so it's not like we set things up that way just to annoy the con goers.
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby l33tmeatwad » Mon May 28, 2012 10:36 am

There was a lot that was great about this year, I really enjoyed the guests and their panels, as well as many of the fan panels. The space between panels worked out really well and allowed the panels to maximize their time (which was really helpful as someone who ran a panel myself).

My only complaint (as it is every year) is for the AMV contest. For a convention this size it shouldn't be this bad. I've seen conventions a fourth of the size of Animazmenet have better more organized contests that are run much smoother. Have to say, I'm rather annoyed at the way this contest has been handled and run the pass 3 years (I have only attended the convention and participated in the contest for that amount of time) and each year has been worse than the last. I'm glad that there was a better set of videos (a good chunk of them were from editors I knew that I suggested sending videos in), however there were videos they lost and even worse, videos they didn't download at all due to their automated system not sending it to their email (confirmed this with the staff). Not assuming I would have won, but it is rather annoying that my chance to win comedy for a third year in a row wasn't even a possibility because they never even downloaded my video at all. I can't say it the worst contest I've participated in before, but that is only because they actually announce the winners, however everything else about the contest the last three years has ranked it among the lowest of contests I have participated in.

I really hope someone takes the initiative to take over the contest because I would love to see it run more effectively, it would take little effort to improve it from the current level it is at. I'd be happy to give whoever is in charge a full list of what it takes to run a good contest and not be so unorganized AS WELL AS workflow/organizational tips to help avoid these types of issues. As someone who participates in many AMV contests throughout the year, I have seen the good and the bad and if there is any way I can help out with suggestions I am more than willing to do so. It would only take a few changes that wouldn't really change much to avoid ALL of the problems that the contest had this year.

It's a bit dangerous to be this blunt about the contest since it is entirely judge/staff selected winners, but someone has to come out and say something, as it will never get better without people pushing for it to be improved. I hope next year is a huge improvement, although with how things were run I can't guarantee that editors will want to continue and submit (knowing how editors are).
l33tmeatwad
Citizen of Macross City

Postby Chopstickman » Mon May 28, 2012 10:46 am

The con was awesome as usual. Major props to the Animazement staff for making it all possible. The artwork in the event booklets was very nice, hope to see more like that next year. If I could make some suggestions, please please please bring back Toshio Furukawa and invite Fumi Hirano!!! That would be so awesome! As for musical guests, how about trying to get BABYMETAL?

But some criticisms; the 30 minute break between panels is a tad excessive. 15 might be a better choice. Additionally all videos need to be previewed by the staff. KITE Liberator and Outlanders for example are definitely 18+ material but were not labeled as such.
Chopstickman

Next

Return to Dear Animazement