• It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

AA idea theft

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

AA idea theft

Postby Marzipan » Wed May 30, 2012 5:16 pm

Most artists are honorable, but I feel the need to ask about this.

What does one do when you see someone very obviously take your concept? I don't want to say exactly what it was because I don't know if I'm jumping the gun here, but I had my product displayed all day Friday. I had made my circle of the alley and saw nothing like it. Score. Saturday mid afternoon a few tables down and I see my idea! Not the same, as it seemed hastily thrown together, but there it was. And they didn't have any Friday. I was SO upset! Am I being hasty to assume they stole my idea? I don't want to falsely accuse anyone, but it has been giving me an icky feeling since then.
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Re: AA idea theft

Postby mystcloud » Wed May 30, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm curious, what type of item was the one in question? I really don't know anything about what sort of art you make. I'm unsure what sort of thing someone could make, at a con, overnight. If they did steal your idea, that would be pretty underhanded and not very chivalrous but sadly, you probably can't do anything about it. If you did call them out there's really no way to prove they stole it. It's also possible they just hadn't put their item out until the next day. I know I didn't have enough time to get all my merch out on friday.

For example, if someone saw that I make magnets,then ran to staples and printed out some magnets of their own, I can't get angry that someone stole my magnet making idea. Idea theft is a very vague thing that you can't really claim an idea as your own. This is why inventors have to get patents and why copyrights exist. And truthfully, most of the art ever created was "idea theft", very rarely if ever does someone have a truly original idea. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't the "original" owner of the idea of whatever you made, even if you're unaware of it. Art theft, of course, is another thing entirely. if someone is selling your art as their own then they're always in the wrong. idea theft is more of a gray area.
:D Visit me in the Artist alley!!
mystcloud
Citizen of Macross City

Postby SailorAstera » Wed May 30, 2012 7:47 pm

I've had it happen more than once where other artists have adopted or adapted something I've made and done it their own way. Sometimes it can be frustrating if you feel like it was unique and original and something that no one else was doing, but that's kind of the nature of art. You can't really own a concept and people are always going to copy and make iterations of something that's successful.

It's difficult to have a concrete opinion on the matter at hand without actually knowing specifically what we're talking about, though. If we're talking about anything fanart related then I have to say the whole thing becomes a bit hypocritical. It might not be though; it might be something special you did that has no relation to anyone's IP.

In general, I'd say you're best off ignoring it. It's probably not worth making a fuss about it. If it was your idea and it's a good idea then just work on making it the best you can. People may mimic or copy, but if you're the best and the most original and you always stay one step ahead of the followers, you should be fine.
SailorAstera
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby DrGonzo369 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Unless they imitate and steal my turtle badge you made me. Then heads will roll! lol
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby megaplushie » Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 pm

DrGonzo369 wrote:Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Unless they imitate and steal my turtle badge you made me. Then heads will roll! lol

Note to Self: Steal Gonzo's turtle badge.
megaplushie
OM NOM NOM NOM

Postby invader56 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:00 am

I've had this happen before, not with art, but with an idea. Really unless it's something blatantly copied you can't do much. For example I saw someone had made a badge of something like a unicorn vomiting rainbows made of ribbon. If the next day another artist had an elephant shooting rainbows from it's trunk its just a reuse of your concept (sort of like fan art of a Zelda character). If it was another badge of a unicorn then that's when it's outright stealing, but like everyone has said its hard to say and hard to catch.
invader56
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby Shenanagan » Thu May 31, 2012 8:35 am

This kind of sounds like the reason why I didn't get a table, because someone did the magnets thing better than me XD But this makes me want to reinvent my wheel and do something better! *determined!*
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Hiryuu » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:26 pm

It's hard to copyright an idea, as others have stated. Granted, most artists respect one another...but a lot don't. I noticed someone else in the alley starting to sell cute pokemon on the exact same plastic I use in keychain/cell strap phone. It irked me a bit; I remember her from last year, and she came up to my table saying she liked my stuff. It's courtesy to not take the idea, but it's not a given :/ and really there's nothing you can do about it.
Is a tired tired panda!
Hiryuu
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby DrGonzo369 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Actually, you can't copyright an idea or a concept.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Hiryuu » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:05 am

It's a double edged sword. Some say you can. For instance, the AWA artist alley states that "if you can buy it in the dealer's room, you can't sell it in the artist alley." They extend that to most everything, including keychains, prints, etc. I'm not saying buying to resell, but if you draw Pokemon (for instance) and then make keychains of them, if any dealer is selling pokemon keychains then you can't attend. Even if your's are drawn and there's are resells of official product. AWA says that's against copyright to allow you to sell.

I dunno if they're right or just trying to exercise their 'power.'
Is a tired tired panda!
Hiryuu

Postby DrGonzo369 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:36 am

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-g ... ml#protect

I mean you legally can't copyright an idea in the US.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Hiryuu » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 pm

I wish I could convince the AWA artist alley folks then -_-;
Is a tired tired panda!
Hiryuu

Return to Artist Alley