• It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Got a question for staff or feedback pertaining to Animazment to make it the best convention in the United States? Unload it here! Don't worry, we can take it!

Moderator: BobD

Re: Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Postby DrGonzo369 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Btw, we ran 18+ badges for a LOT longer than we originally planned. We opened up Saturday morning 3 hours ahead of schedule. We can't run them all night, and if someone misses out on getting one, I can't help that.
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby PuppetQueen » Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

One of the guys that was riding the bikes that pulled the buggy-thingies was really nice. When I was walking to the APH photoshoot on Saturday he asked me if I was wearing make-up. I thought it was a strange question until he explained I that I looked extremely pale and didn't know if he needed to go get some help or not. Once I told him I was naturally pale and had makeup on, he told me to be careful and stay safe. It was so sweet. 8D
Fan Forum Panel Host ||Terror Squad 36th Seat~
Cubone (Pokemon) | Fem!Loki (Avengers) | Zatsune Miku (Matryoshka) | Kirlia (Pokemon)
PuppetQueen
Local Polygamist

Postby MyBrokenStar811 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:18 pm

My only complaint is that we should have had somebody better do the opening ceremonies. The last few years it has been awesome, but this year the new guy totally bombed it. He wasn't enthusiastic at all and I think he was disrespectful towards the guests. I know our usual guy said he wasn't able to make it but this guy didn't even try and him talking all monotone and throwing the papers at the end was not amusing. I also think it would have been a good idea to have the jacabals do a small skit. But other than that the con was awesome. I had such a good time and everybody was so nice. I love how there was more dealers in the dealers room and different artists in artist alley. I also loved Kotokos concert although I do wish she could have done two concerts.
MyBrokenStar811
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Sucosa wrote:
MinaUchiha2 wrote:
Sucosa wrote:2) Rotate or change judges for contests every year. The same judges have been in place for the craftsmanship for this con and the year before. I know people who have given up competing at AZ because it seems that the judges pick the same people or are looking for the same kind of costume every year. Not that the judges aren't nice people but in the view of a fair contest- a little fresh perspective couldn't hurt.

I want to say my piece on this. There were different judges this year than last, maybe not all three but there were new ones. New people won, heck my friend Zip and I won this year and we sure hadn't last year. The costumes do change that win each year, while I didn't see all the others costumes I know there is a huge change in what they were wearing and won in vs last year. A lot of con have the same judges yearly because they know the judges have a good eye and know something that is more well crafted than others. While yes some people may win multiple years in a row its because they're wearing more things that are elaborate or amazing and working harder on their things.

I meant no offense to you Mina, Congrats on your win. I felt I had a right to put my thoughts out there just as everyone else is- everyone is allowed their own opinion. From the perspective of someone who has attended 4 cons this year and whom has merely observed (I've followed the contests but not entered myself) , but its been the same judges for at least three of the cons and much of the same winners- with some of the same costumes Competing. Not saying all contestants do that - but some do. All I am suggesting is that Judges be changed every year or maybe the rules need to be better defined- Such as how many previous placements put you in what category, if a costume has won a previous contest then it needs to be retired from competition to prevent sandbagging other people who are competing with a new costume. These are some of the rules that have been laid out by a lot of the large conventions in Florida and it seems to work well.

Please don't take these suggestions as a way of taking away from this years winners, one of my best friends placed too, so as I said not meant to offend. But it breaks my heart to see a lot of people I know giving up because they don't see that they stand a chance because the judges are the same every year, at every local con- and it seems the same people win with costumes you see them compete with at every con.

I wasn't taking offense, I was giving my input since one there were things you were wrong about. I know these judges somewhat and know they look for different things at each con. While a lot of the cons in the area may use the same judges its because they know they have a good.
With Craft stuff you can send the runner some suggestions, he's only run it at AZ for two years so there are still bumps and such.
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby DrGonzo369 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 pm

I know the story about Opening Ceremonies, and yeah...I wasn't even there and I apologize for that one. I was curious as to how that went, considering..lol
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby DrGonzo369 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Please note and remember: ALL Photoshoots are unofficial parts of the con set up by congoers, NOT staff.
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369

Postby Sondossa » Tue May 29, 2012 6:33 pm

I unfortunately was not there at the Saturday night Homestuck photoshoot but I can tell you that the older woman I think you're all talking about was giving everyone a hard time.

I remember we had talked with staff about Promstuck earlier in the evening to see where we could be. They told us to go outside by the main entrance and they'd let us know if they had a better spot for us. It was a little hard to keep it under control because a lot of people who weren't there for the meetup started joining in. It was just as this started that this woman came down with security and yelled at us to move. A couple of us apologized and told her that we had gotten permission to be there and if she needed us to turn down the music that would be okay. We also told her that we had no other place to move. She told us to go across the street to the park. I turned away for a second to talk to everyone else about this and then she was gone.

Another staffer came down (a young man) and tried to help us the best he could. He said that we did need to move but he was willing to work with us and did not yell at us.

In the end we had to call it quits. It was poor planning that made it into a bit of a mess.

To everyone out, whether you're a Homestuck or not: please do not get all in people's faces when dancing or get too crazy. It's a public place.

I'd like to apologize if everyone was a little too rowdy and out of control because control started to slip away from us as the night went on.

Okay now that you've heard that here's a more concise list:

Good:
- Staff was amazing overall this year. I really appreciated the setup station in con ops to test out your laptop before your panel! Very helpful! We also had a bit of a security issue that we had to report and it was handled very well.
- Badge checking. I have been to so many cons where I could just waltz right in somewhere without a badge. Animazement was not one of those cons from my experience.
- The 30 minutes before each panel to set up was extremely helpful!

Bad:
- Okay I know a lot of people don't like the karaoke contest but my biggest issue was that someone who had apparently already won first prize won it AGAIN. Not cool, give everyone a chance. There were a lot of great singers there that didn't even place.
- The smoke. OH GOD. The smoke outside the convention center was unbearable. I really don't mind people smoking that much but when you get a lot of smokers in the same area it gets to be too much. I understand it's outside and all but can there please be a rule that you have to be so many feet away from the convention center? And if that rule is in place can we enforce or make it further away?
- The price of badges. I suppose a lot of times this can't be helped but it was rather expensive because I've seen cons of the same size or bigger have badges that are way cheaper than AZ's prices.

For attendees:

- Don't be so loud. There was a group on Sunday singing 99 Bottles of Beer by the dealer's room and I could hear all the way by the doors outside the convention center. You can have fun and sing and stuff but lower the volume. And please stop with the Marco Polo stuff. It's not cute or funny anymore; it's just obnoxious.
- Keep up the pace in the dealer's room. You should be able to walk a little faster than a sloth. This was with no one in the way, too.
- Don't sit or stand where people are walking. It's a bad idea.

That's pretty much it. I enjoyed the con for the most part.
animazement 2013 cosplay
|| meenah peixes || junko enoshima || tbd ||
Sondossa

Postby alcyonenight » Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Pros:
-I ran a panel and all of the staff I interacted with were extremely helpful and nice. I know some conventiongoers have complained about the long amount of time between panels, but as someone running one for the first time, it felt like just enough--not too much, not too little. We had time to wait for everyone from the panel before us to clear out, get set up, and compose ourselves a bit before everyone got there. (I'll also say that as a new panelist I was glad I was on Sunday, it was a lot quieter and calmer and I felt a lot less pressure, and I think anyone doing a panel for the first time should seriously consider doing one on Sunday if possible.)
-The KOTOKO concert was amazing. Seriously amazing. I couldn't hear well for three hours afterward and I screamed myself hoarse and I didn't even care because I'd had so much fun. It was a really high energy show. If she can come back some time, I'd love to see her again. (Her band was really good too. I might be a little in love with her guitarist.)
-The anime in the anime rooms was really good this year. Whoever organized it was good and should do so again.
-It was easier to find the 18+ wristband booth this year than it was last year. That tiny change of positioning from one side of the lobby to the other meant that you didn't have to try to see through a giant wall of cosplayers if you were looking for it.
-The escalators broke less often than I remember them doing in previous years (the power outage excluded, since of course they wouldn't do well with the power out).
-The conventiongoers in general were just really fun this year!

Cons:
-It took a long time for panel scheduling to come out. I understand it was because of the guy organizing schedules having health problems, but I wonder if maybe it would have been better with more people working on it so he didn't have to do the whole thing alone, plus be the public liaison on panels and take all the heat about which panels were approved or not approved, when he wasn't doing well personally.
-It would have been nice if there had been more water stations. Trash cans next to them would have been nice too, so I didn't end up carrying around empty cups in my pocket, but that's less important.
-On Friday and Saturday, there were often people obstructing the front entrance to the convention center.
-It wasn't just people with wings--a lot of people weren't as aware as they should have been of their props or large costume pieces and their effects on the people around them.

Random thoughts:
-I was wondering if maybe it would be possible for people that pre-register to get their 18+ wristbands with their con ID, given that photo ID is checked at that point anyway? That might slow down the line too much, though.
-Maybe there should be some kind of agreement with staff about where to send large unanticipated groups? There shouldn't be anything about it on the website because you don't want to encourage people to plan big events without having a talk with the convention planners, but stuff will sometimes just happen (like the Cute Pokemon trading card thing, which ballooned far faster than anybody would have guessed). It would be good if you had some kind of general agreement of what places are acceptable and what places are not if you need to get a bunch of people out of the way fast.
alcyonenight
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby roughkiss » Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 am

Sondossa wrote:Bad:
- Okay I know a lot of people don't like the karaoke contest but my biggest issue was that someone who had apparently already won first prize won it AGAIN. Not cool, give everyone a chance. There were a lot of great singers there that didn't even place.

I have to say that I also heard this, but wasn't sure if it was true or not. To further this, I heard she sang the same song as well. (I cannot confirm this, I haven't attended AZ since 2009. This is all hearsay) However, if this is true, I don't think it's fair.That would be the equivalent of entering the same costume in the costume contest every year and sweeping it. I don't think past winners should be banned from the contest, but I do think that making it so that they have to wait a year to compete or something might be more fair. Or, perhaps if they've won a lot, allow the person to sing, but don't judge them. If the same person wins every year it spoils the competitive aspect that such a contest would have, and some people might not compete because they feel that they cannot win.
Cosplaying:
Bruce Banner (Avengers Movie Version) (Thursday and Friday)
Marceline (Normal and Scream Queens Home Concert Version) (Saturday)
Jade Harley (Dogtier) (Saturday Night and Sunday)
roughkiss
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby SailorAstera » Wed May 30, 2012 3:09 pm

This is my last AZ for a while, ;_; Next year I plan to be at Anime Boston which for some reason is in May in 2013, and after that I'm not sure if I will be doing any travel cons. It was a good year over all, with a few rough patches.

The Good:
  1. Though I was skeptical and dissapointed about the alley being downsized this year, it seems to have worked out space wise. We had plenty of room behind our tables and the gaps to get in and out of the sections were alright (still could've been just a TAD wider). My sales were not what they've been in years past, but I had a whole lot of fun, saw lots of friends and met some new ones! ^0^
  2. Even though my panel was completely wrong in the book people still showed up for it, lots of people! Actually, people showed up for both panels so I ended up running both panels inside the 1 hour time slot with help from my awesome friends. I hope everyone who came to my crazy hybrid panel had fun! ^_^'
  3. The Sailormoon panel on Friday night was awesome (as it pretty much always is)! I didn't get to escape from my table for the other SM panels but I hope they were fun, too!
  4. The Dealer's Room was pretty cool this year! I didn't find much of what I was looking for but there seemed to be a lot of variety and some of my favorite vendors were there. It was great to shop around for the little time I had to escape from my table.
  5. People who bought Tuxedo Speedo prints. You made my weekend so happy! :wink:
  6. The time between panels may have been a bit excessive in some cases, but running a few panels I found it pretty helpful. They started seating the Sailormoon panel early on Friday night which means a big line didn't build up outside.
  7. The bathrooms were really clean all weekend! I remember them getting a little funky last year. ^__^;
  8. I had no trouble with security and the staff who were opening the doors for the artists in the morning were way helpful and accommodating about letting us into the convention center early without any trouble.
  9. I had no trouble at all with people crowding/inappropriately gathering in the walkway in front of my table. I can't say too much about the rest of the convention center since my perspective is really limited, but it seems like my side of the alley stayed pretty flowing all weekend.

The Not As Good:
  1. All weekend any of the staff working long-hour tables (pre-reg people and the art show staff specifically) looked WAY overtired and WAY overworked. From what I heard there was a severe lack of volunteers this year so I'm guessing people really couldn't shift out of these spots. It really showed. People looked STRESSED OUT and when staff volunteers are stressed out, they say and do things without thinking clearly. Everyone was polite and good with me all weekend, but I could see the short fuses burning.
  2. I was told to get my laptop checked before my panel. I went to conops and there really wasn't anyone to greet me or direct me where to go. Someone told me sit "over there where people were getting laptops checked" so I did. I waited for about 15 mins or so before I finally spoke up and asked someone else if I was in the right place. Turns out I was, only no one had offered to help me or ask why I was there. Kind of weird that some random person can walk into con ops, sit down on the couch and just kind of hangout/do whatever without anyone addressing them? ^__^; Once they knew why I was there, the AV people were very helpful.
  3. I'm pretty disappointed that some artists I really love and I'm used to seeing at AZ didn't get in this year via the juried system (especially ones that also didn't get in last year), but I know they're saying they can't fit everyone who qualifies into that space, and they did cut 40 tables IIRC.
  4. I'm not a HUGE fan of having to pack up every night and the 'open any and all hours' format I think puts a lot of pressure on artists to be there for VERY long days (I did two 14 hour days on Friday and Saturday, orz). It also makes it hard to enjoy the convention because I think most artists feel obliged to be dedicated to their table as much as possible (thus missing out on a lot of other events/not having enough time or energy to do fun things like the rave). I hope for future artists they can put the alley back into a room that can be locked and have normal hours.
  5. The panel notifications went out way too late, and the multiple missed self-announced deadlines were pretty frustrating. I know that there were some personal issues that were causing the delay but getting notifications <2 weeks before the convention really seems like cutting it way too close. I'm grateful they printed a sign about errors in the schedule but they wouldn't have to do that if the schedule was ready early enough for corrections to be made BEFORE everything gets printed. I get the feeling things were going to print before we even knew what was actually happening.
  6. Speaking of schedules, if things were put into place a little sooner rather than later AZ could take advantage of Guidebook which is a smartphone app for convention schedules. It's really a great little handy thingamajig.
  7. Our mics cut out a lot during our panels, too. It was odd. There was a guy at the beginning of the panel to help with AV but I don't think they had staff in the rooms during the panels. Might be a lack of volunteers again, but it left it up to panelists to figure it out if something went wrong or they needed to change something like volumes.
  8. No shows at the art show were way sad. My Fluttershy pillow head is crying little felt tears of lonely.
  9. Sad about there being only one slightly-Sailormoon related guest this year as Sailormoon guests is something AZ's kind of become known for in the last few years.

Regarding the karaoke or craftsmanship contests: I don't really think it's fair to say someone can only win one year in a row. If you're good, you're good; they are, after all, competitions. If you want to win you should have to be (or beat) the best. But I think it would make sense for someone to have to enter with a different song/costume if they placed in years passed, at least for the sake of variety. Just my thoughts! ^__^;
SailorAstera
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby fadedxxlovesong » Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 pm

The Good:

-All staff I interacted with were kind & helpful. I only talked with one Elite staff (the one between the hallway connecting to the Marriott) and he was nice.
-I've always participated in the skits, so this was my first year experiencing the sticker system for seating. It was very nicely organized and I'm sorry for the one woman who got upset she missed her lining up time and snapped at the staff who were helping with the lines.
-The 30 minute buffers between panels were convenient for setting up so that was nice.

The bad:

-When/where were AMV contest winners announced? It wasn't at the end of the showing and they weren't announced after skits like they usually are. Edit: Accidentally clicked on 2011 thread and saw AMV winners are typically announced at closing ceremonies. I could have swore they did them after skits last year but I guess my memory could be deceiving me.

-Continuing on the AMV contest, with the virus situation and stuff it would have been really nice to email people who didn't make it into the contest as well. I was late coming into the showing so I'm still not really even sure if mine made it in or not. Mine was one of the ones lost in the virus so I don't even know if they were able to download it correctly after I re-submitted it. So it would really be nice if they gave a heads up to everyone, not just the ones who were accepted.

-I've never been to an unorganized panel before, but I definitely witnessed one this year... So I'd like to suggest having to submit a general outline of what they want to do along with the summary when submitting a panel so staff has somewhat of an idea what they're doing. Improv can be great if done correctly but sometimes it's just done horribly.. so I think a general outline would help.
Last edited by fadedxxlovesong on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZ 14
Thursday: Masquerade ball version of Kairi
Friday:KH2 Kairi
Saturday: KH3D Sora
Sunday: Gou from Free!
fadedxxlovesong
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby JuniperSong » Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 pm

This was my second year going to Animazement & my first attending the entire con. My pros & cons kind of go together, so...

- loved the schedule book this year! Would be nice if the guest book also listed the panels/performances where the guests could be seen. Some were easy to find (Kotoko), others (esp. the English voice actors) not so much. If the guest book goes to print before the schedule is out, maybe there could be a page on the schedule referencing guest events?
- some really good, well-organized panels. Maybe there should be some sort of panel feedback form so people who run panels well get preference in future schedules. 'Name that Anime Tune', for example, far surpassed 'Name that Tune?!?!' in organization and preparedness. I would definitely attend another of his panels in the future, but fan panels' hosts aren't named in the schedule, so how would I know which one to attend & which one to avoid?
- I was very disappointed in Friday's plushie class, in which 15 participants had to share 2 pairs of scissors. A little prep work goes a long way in making sure programs run smoothly. At another panel, one of the hosts was at least 15 minutes late.
- the sticker arrangement for Masquerade seemed to work really well, but why the long wait outside? Then the ushers were so rushed trying to seat everyone that they had to be super-strict about seating, and were splitting up groups so one person from a group had to sit alone while the rest of the group went to another part of the room.
- Loved Jacabal & would have enjoyed a longer demo from them at Masquerade. Also, the host was great!
- I join the chorus of those requesting photos of the winning craftsmanship costumes, especially since the judges do such a great job of building them up.
- please move the plants out of artists alley
- please bring back the dance-off if someone wants to host it next year!
- photobooth room was locked during times it was on the schedule
-Too many good panels during Cosplay Chess. That's just mean.

All in all, though, it was a very enjoyable & well-thought out event. I can't even begin to imagine how much work goes in to making it all run so smoothly. Thanks for all your hard work! I had 9 teenagers with me & several of them said it was the best weekend ever- so thanks!
JuniperSong
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby cookiechaos » Thu May 31, 2012 11:20 pm

roughkiss wrote:
Sondossa wrote:Bad:

I have to say that I also heard this, but wasn't sure if it was true or not. To further this, I heard she sang the same song as well. (I cannot confirm this, I haven't attended AZ since 2009. This is all hearsay) However, if this is true, I don't think it's fair.That would be the equivalent of entering the same costume in the costume contest every year and sweeping it. I don't think past winners should be banned from the contest, but I do think that making it so that they have to wait a year to compete or something might be more fair. Or, perhaps if they've won a lot, allow the person to sing, but don't judge them. If the same person wins every year it spoils the competitive aspect that such a contest would have, and some people might not compete because they feel that they cannot win.

I have to say I am a tad bit insulted by this. Yes, I did win this year. Yes, I had won before. Specifically, 4 years ago. I did not enter last year. Before that I think I got 2nd and 3rd. Not really sure. But I didnt win.

Furthermore, I did not sing the same song. Every song I sang was different. 3 were from the Sailor moon musicals and the one from this year was from Blood +.

As a competition, things are scored, in which ever manner they seemed to be. Some are better than others. I didn't expect to win because as you said, there were a lot of other talented singers. This was the first year I entered that there were only 4 prizes. I'm used to honorable mentions and judges choice and whatnot.
cookiechaos
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby KyoHana » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 am

Thoroughly enjoyed AZ 2012 and already planning for 2013!!

I thought the pre-con badge check in was much smoother this year than last, though the room in which those that had pre-registered could pick up their badges was a bit small for the number of people waiting in line.

I also think that, since you ask year after year for suggestions for guests, you might consider actually inviting some of the guests your attendees suggest. It seems that year after year, the same people are invited with perhaps one or two new faces. It would be nice to see some of the people that I've seen suggested by those of us who attend the con... after all, aren't we the ones that can make or break it!
Life is a journey... take it!
KyoHana
Citizen of Macross City

Postby roughkiss » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:04 pm

In that case, I apologize. I was misinformed. I don't mean to imply that you shouldn't have won, I was making a suggestion based on pieced together rumor. However, I stand by saying that were the rumors true, it wouldn't really be fair. I'm glad that that wasn't actually the case, and I'm sorry for spreading misinformation.

I think that I was misunderstood though, I was not trying to say that once someone has won the contest they shouldn't be allowed to compete, only that I think after a certain number of times one might bow out for a year or so to give others a chance. I should not have said "after one year" because it was merely an example number, not meant to be taken seriously.
Cosplaying:
Bruce Banner (Avengers Movie Version) (Thursday and Friday)
Marceline (Normal and Scream Queens Home Concert Version) (Saturday)
Jade Harley (Dogtier) (Saturday Night and Sunday)
roughkiss
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby whitless256 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:07 pm

I was not trying to say that once someone has won the contest they shouldn't be allowed to compete, only that I think after a certain number of times one might bow out for a year or so to give others a chance.

Just to play devil's advocate. Would it also be unfair to not let a football team compete the next year if it won the Super Bowl? Or to ban the winner of the World Series from playing the next baseball season? The way I see it, forcing a previous winner to sit out would both discourage people from competing if they know their reward for a win would be a boot out the door, and deprive the audience of hearing what is obviously a darn good performance. Everyone suffers.
whitless256

Postby Craftsmanship » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:16 am

Hello to all from the Craftsmanship Contest!

First off, I'd like to extend a hearty thank you and congratulations to all the winners and participants in the contest. Without you, we wouldn't have the array of talent enter, raising the bar on quality every year!

I'd also like to thank our judges, who you may remember a handful of from last year. They take their job very seriously, converse heavily about the quality of work, debate many factors, are reliable, on-time, and also are kind enough to offer a panel on Sunday for feedback on costume work aka the "WHY DIDN'T I WIN" panel and offering advice for future work, HENCE why they appeared again this year. They are regular competitors in masquerades, a truly important factor as they understand the stress and pressure that goes into not only putting together a good costume, but presenting it well and the value of a good judging session.
In an effort to keep things fresh, we had some new faces as well as flipped several judges on craftsmanship last year to presentation this year, and vice versa.

We had a successful year, in a different location than last year, with some pros and cons: While we had more room, we didn't quite have the intimacy of the judging last year buuuut we had benches to sit down and "spread out" as well as a more central location.

It should also be noted that out of all fifty slot times, we had three no-shows, but everyone else was on time, and in most cases, appointments checked in and judged AHEAD of schedule. All things considered, the contest ran very smoothly this year, no one was rushed, and everyone received and/or picked up their award.

We DID have a technical issue that resulted in the winners not being shown on the screen during the masquerade -our apologies as the costumes were truly awesome that won- but we are taking steps to take care of that situation and help it improve next year.

I would like to take this opportunity to mention that as a few topics that were raised in terms of "rules" that were suggested about level placement and costumes that have been won before competing again are CLEARLY stated in the craftsmanship contest rules at http://animazement.org/costume-craftsmanship/ and have been since last year.

The Craftsmanship Contest is always welcome to suggestions and feel free to E-mail them to craftsmanship@animazement.org along with any suggestions or questions regarding this past or next year's contest.

In addition, we will be taking applications early 2013 for experienced cosplayers looking to be on the other side and join our panel of judges in the Masquerade or Craftsmanship Contest. (We are mindful of concerns and seek to satisfy our entrants.)

That said, thank you again for everyone who participated in the Animazement Craftsmanship Contest and we hope to see you again next year!

A special thanks to Animazement staff, particularly Con Ops, Daphne and her sound crew, and Su Song for support.

(Bob, you were thoroughly missed.)
Craftsmanship
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby lolitaneko » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:13 am

Late post is late, but I want to add my two cents. xD

+This was my first year cosplaying and seeing the list of photoshoots was awesome! Who ever put it together it looked very nice and professional. I also really liked the con schedule up like you guys had it on the walls. I was going without my bag the majority of the weekend so not having to worry about carrying the book around was nice.

-I looked into the art room Saturday morning and the majority of the work was wonderful! But I personally didn't get why a lot of the accessories were there. I don't mean to be rude, but they didn't look related to anime, gaming or even j-fashion for that matter. In the past I can say I've seen anything out of place and normally I would ignore it if it was just three or four things but there was a lot and it didn't sit well with me (and few of my friends). I know that artist alley was cut quite a bit, and when I saw that it seemed like, to me, that people were using the art room as more of a 'AA overflow'.

+Although I was wait-listed (which actually was a blessing in disguise! Thank you for that. lol) I thought that AA was dealt with very nicely. Maybe I'm way chill or I don't remember, but compared to last year everything felt much less rushed, and since everything was sent out around Feb/March [if I recall correctly] it gave me anough time to plan accordingly. At the con I thought the layout was really nice and for someone looking around there was lots of room to look around and browse. I thought the size was nice too, but I really hope we'll be able to get a bigger room in the future! I also saw some great artists I haven't seen before, so it was great seeing something new. Since the AA was smaller I think this was great, because to be honest its better to have a smaller selection full of new stuff mixed with a bit of older than the other way around.

-If my memory serves me right, back in the day AZ had two dances, one with more j-rock/pop and the other with more dance/electronic music. Nearly every con-goer I've talked to wishes that there was something like this, or at least wishes that the music was more varied between the two dances. I listen to lots of types of music and go to the club every chance I get because I love to dance but I seriously could not get into those sets. :< I would also love to hear more contemode-sounding/electro Japanese artists being played too - its only right! xD Maybe this is asking too much but I think it would awesome to just have two different DJs for each night for some variety.

+Thank you so much for all of the fashion panels!! The girls in our local lolita community including myself ran all of them and it was a lot of fun. We hope to come back and ambush you guys again next year. lmao

-/+I, like many of the panelists, was kinda annoyed at how long it took to get any info about our status. I think everyone else was *way* more ticked off than I was, though. lol It did end up hurting my panel though - for example I was considering asking my friends for to model for me since I ran the 'Forest Girls' panel, but since I didn't want to jump the gun and wanted to wait until it was confirmed before enlisting help it was too late to do so. However this was my first panel at AZ and even though at the con we were having issues with my computer (its old and crappy, I should've seen it coming xD) the staff helped us and my panel went on nicely. So thank you for that! I hope to host another in the future. :3

Overall I had a great time at Animazement this year!! This was the first year in a long while I've gotten to actually enjoy myself and not worry about getting an AA table together in time and it reminded me as to why I've been going to AZ for nearly 10 years (omg I am old. OTL).
jelyclarisanne.etsy.com
lolitaneko
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby oglop_master » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:29 am

They probably should have done something about the screaming at the Hetalia shoots... They weren't doing it for any reason, just screaming. Like not words or anything. You could hear them all the way across the convention center, and no one did anything about it, which was kind of annoying.
Having trouble styling your wig for your next cosplay? Well, you're in luck! Head on over to Erin's Wigs and check it out!
http://erinswigs.tumblr.com/
oglop_master
The Almighty Banana Overlord

Postby usei » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:49 am

I also heard that. I think it would be a good rule to have for any shoot, Hetalia or otherwise. And perhaps a better organization of the outdoor shoots, since so many that were held inside the RCC just didn't work well because of logistics.
usei
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

PreviousNext

Return to Dear Animazement