• It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Got a question for staff or feedback pertaining to Animazment to make it the best convention in the United States? Unload it here! Don't worry, we can take it!

Moderator: BobD

Re: Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2012

Postby Shenanagan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:36 pm

lolitaneko wrote:-If my memory serves me right, back in the day AZ had two dances, one with more j-rock/pop and the other with more dance/electronic music. Nearly every con-goer I've talked to wishes that there was something like this, or at least wishes that the music was more varied between the two dances. I listen to lots of types of music and go to the club every chance I get because I love to dance but I seriously could not get into those sets. :< I would also love to hear more contemode-sounding/electro Japanese artists being played too - its only right! xD Maybe this is asking too much but I think it would awesome to just have two different DJs for each night for some variety.

Memory is serving you right. But while they did have two DJs for the Saturday dance, the first one barely played any techno at all! It felt more like the Friday dance, but on Saturday night.
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby whitless256 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:06 pm

usei wrote:I also heard that. I think it would be a good rule to have for any shoot, Hetalia or otherwise. And perhaps a better organization of the outdoor shoots, since so many that were held inside the RCC just didn't work well because of logistics.

Photoshoots are a FAN organized activity. AZ has nothing to do with when or where they are scheduled. Congoers organized and planned them in the cosplay section of these forums. If you have suggestions, you should visit that area next year and take part in the discussion.
whitless256
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby oglop_master » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:48 pm

whitless256 wrote:Photoshoots are a FAN organized activity. AZ has nothing to do with when or where they are scheduled. Congoers organized and planned them in the cosplay section of these forums. If you have suggestions, you should visit that area next year and take part in the discussion.

We all know that very well. I've run five photoshoots, and I am very well aware that they are a fan-organized event. However, staff DOES regulate the photoshoots, just as they regulate all other con activities, and a photoshoot that is getting too loud and rowdy INSIDE THE CONVENTION CENTER is something that staff DO regulate. I was not happy with the fact that a large group of people were allowed to disturb others without any regulation on them. That is my complaint. It has nothing to do with them being a fan-organized event.
Having trouble styling your wig for your next cosplay? Well, you're in luck! Head on over to Erin's Wigs and check it out!
http://erinswigs.tumblr.com/
oglop_master
The Almighty Banana Overlord

Postby usei » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:59 pm

whitless256 wrote: Photoshoots are a FAN organized activity. AZ has nothing to do with when or where they are scheduled. Congoers organized and planned them in the cosplay section of these forums. If you have suggestions, you should visit that area next year and take part in the discussion.

And I am.

However, it wouldn't hurt to note that the help of any number of staff members would be beneficial. Not in running the shoots themselves, as, like you said, they are fan organized, but perhaps just helping make sure that they were a controlled, civil event that didn't disturb other congoers.
usei
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby whitless256 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm not here to argue. oglop_master, I know you're aware, hence why my clarification was posted in response to usei's comment about better organization of outdoor shoots, to let that poster know that AZ staff does not organize the shoots.
whitless256
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby usei » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Not to sound like an ass, but everyone knows that AZ doesn't organize the shoots.

My point is that if they're going to complain about x shoot doing y, maybe they should help at least police the shoots to avoid future staff-congoer conflicts.
usei

Postby Katharine » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:24 pm

photoshoot schedule
Last edited by Katharine on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine
Katharine
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby DrGonzo369 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Kat - if you want, I can do some of the bigger ones, on the staff security side of things. and will move them accordingly.
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby usei » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:35 pm

I wouldn't say that moving shoots is really necessary, moreso making sure they're in the right place doing the right thing in the first place. That way no one will get upset about having to get moved, etc.
usei

Postby DrGonzo369 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:26 am

Even if someone IS in the place scheduled, if it needs to be moved due to volume/noise, then it needs to be moved. Just sayin.
Ben: There is nothing sadder, Joe, than a sad Japanese man.
Joe: Boy, I'll say...
Image Seat 30

DrGonzo369
The Good Doctor of Otaku-ism

Postby Marzipan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:46 am

oglop_master wrote:They probably should have done something about the screaming at the Hetalia shoots... They weren't doing it for any reason, just screaming. Like not words or anything. You could hear them all the way across the convention center, and no one did anything about it, which was kind of annoying.

People screamed all over the convention. Extremely irritating. Kids these days.
usei wrote:I also heard that. I think it would be a good rule to have for any shoot, Hetalia or otherwise. And perhaps a better organization of the outdoor shoots, since so many that were held inside the RCC just didn't work well because of logistics.

I do agree with this. I wish those volunteering to lead/run the photoshoots did better for you. Alas, I am merely the coordinator and am here to make sure there are no scheduling conflicts. I will try and steer people toward better places to shoot, but in the end majority rules when it comes to location.
Katharine wrote:I'll volunteer to get together with Marzipan (who does the photoshoot schedule) next year to coordinate the fan side with the security side. I agree that this would be a great idea.
:)

DrGonzo369 wrote:Kat - if you want, I can do some of the bigger ones, on the staff security side of things. and will move them accordingly.

Thank you Kat and Gonzo. I would love additional help from staff to make sure that this fan ran event goes as smoothly as possible. ^_^
usei wrote:I wouldn't say that moving shoots is really necessary, moreso making sure they're in the right place doing the right thing in the first place. That way no one will get upset about having to get moved, etc.

Unfortunately, this is extremely hard to gauge during the planning process. Photoshoot locations are determined before the Animazement schedule is released, so there are sometimes conflicts. We will keep trying to do our best!
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:25 am

To Marzipan: Maybe make it a rule that people who put the photo shoots together have a few volunteers to help them with the trafficking and/or noise issues. You could also post that as part of the photo shoot rules, that you have to be courteous to surrounding photo shoots and events/panels.

I helped with one photo shoot and it lasted a total of 5 minutes, so there weren't any issues with noise or obstruction! But in the future, especially for bigger shoots, this would be a good idea.
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Marzipan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:22 pm

I think I will add that to the courtesy rules. It may not help, but it certainly won't hurt. :3
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Katharine » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks
Last edited by Katharine on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine
Katharine
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby ilovebutch19 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 am

Okay I don't have much that is good or bad but here it goes anyway:

The Good: I think everything was better organized this year!!

The lines were not as bad as I have seen them.

There was new stuff to see this year unlike the last few years.

The line to get your badge on Friday was not messed up like I have seen it.

The bad:

The doll making class was a big joke! That needs to be better organized! When I got there, they had not cut the patterns out so we had to wait. Then they only had two scissors! Then we went over on our time by 30 minutes! I left then and they STILL were not done! I did not even finish my doll!!!
ImageImage

Cosplays for 2014:
Good Luck Care Bear - 0%
Muse (Hercules) - 0%
Fruit Loop Girl - 0%
OTP Character- Rayana (?) - 60%
ilovebutch19
S.O.S. Brigade Initiate

Postby double00beaver » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Just read the Artist Alley 2013 message about how we don't have enough to get the big room so we're back at the Mezzanine (big hallway) part.

I have a suggestion maybe for a place to put a few more tables? The stair area right across from the Mezzanine usually stays low traffic because the escalators are faster and since Artist Alley is the only event down on that end, there's no use for them otherwise. The stair area is pretty big so maybe if you lined up some tables along there? It would probably divert the traffic flow and the crowding at the escalator area by giving more tables to look at away from that area and it'll add more tables in general without crowding up the hall.

As you can see from this picture, if you lined up a set of tables along the railing on the right side of the stairs, that would still leave plenty of walking room and you could probably add at least another half a dozen tables to Artist Alley.
double00beaver
Squeeky-hime <3

Postby Quicksilver95 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:55 am

This is my First time reviewing a Convention, but a Review's a Review right?

Good:

1. The Staff was really nice. Even when I was asked to play my Ocarina outside because of noise the man wasn't mean or rude about it. He just asked me to please play outside.

2. The guy who helped my projector work was nice. He helped me even when my computer derped out and wouldn't show picture for 5 minutes.

4. I was able to get plenty of free water because of the water stations.
Cons:

1. There were some people there that I would never like to see again. I can understand I can't blame Animazement for this, but some people were rude and Nasty to me in the gameroom just because I sang more then anyone else... (Rockband btw) Number one: If you can sing Dragon Force then by all means Go on ahead, but don't start Volonteering Others just because you don't like me ok?

2. It was really hot in the convention center this year. I was Cosplaying Kaito and I had on a pleather and Polyester Overcoat. It was so hot I had Dizzy Spells all Saturday. Can we please get some Airconditioning Next year?

3. There were so many Scheduling errors with Panels this year. I don't like to complain about this because the Staff works hard to get these panels where they fit, but seriously. I wanted to go to a panel by Spike Spencer but couldn't because there was another panel I had promised someone I would be there with. So ya know... I was kinda stuck.

{I'll add more later}
Cosplays for AZ 15:
I am working on:
Kaito: 100%

I want for future AZ's
Sosuke Aizen: 18%
Link: 0%
Ikasoruk Ogihci: 0%
Kisame Hoshigaki: 15%

Quicksilver95
Newest Host in Ouran High School

Postby double00beaver » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Quicksilver95 wrote:2. It was really hot in the convention center this year. I was Cosplaying Kaito and I had on a pleather and Polyester Overcoat. It was so hot I had Dizzy Spells all Saturday. Can we please get some Airconditioning Next year?

Not staff or anything, just a regular attendee but you've got to realize that you're attending a convention during a time of year where the temperature is in the mid 80's at the lowest and you're in a building with 6000+ other people, especially on the busiest day and you're wearing pleather of all things. The air can probably only be turned down so much and even then there's all the body heat and outside heat coming in from people going in and out of the doors. It's wise to just wear costumes that are summer-friendly and drink plenty of water.
double00beaver
Squeeky-hime <3

Postby fadedxxlovesong » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:17 pm

double00beaver wrote:
Quicksilver95 wrote:2. It was really hot in the convention center this year. I was Cosplaying Kaito and I had on a pleather and Polyester Overcoat. It was so hot I had Dizzy Spells all Saturday. Can we please get some Airconditioning Next year?

Not staff or anything, just a regular attendee but you've got to realize that you're attending a convention during a time of year where the temperature is in the mid 80's at the lowest and you're in a building with 6000+ other people, especially on the busiest day and you're wearing pleather of all things. The air can probably only be turned down so much and even then there's all the body heat and outside heat coming in from people going in and out of the doors. It's wise to just wear costumes that are summer-friendly and drink plenty of water.

When I was cosplaying Kairi, I thought it was freezing in the RCC. They've been trying hard to make it colder and it has been a lot colder in the past 2 years and it has been. But pleather is probably always gonna be hot unless it's 50 degrees inside and that would cost a lot of money to attempt and the people wearing the lighter costumes would then complain it's too cold so they've got to have a happy medium.
AZ 14
Thursday: Masquerade ball version of Kairi
Friday:KH2 Kairi & Kyoko Sakura from Madoka Magica
Saturday: KH3D Sora
Sunday: Gou from Free!
fadedxxlovesong

Postby Paprika » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Pros

- The convention was really kept clean minus the gather areas near the dealer's room (I know this because I almost slipped).

- The Sailor Moon and Kamen Rider panels were really great this year. I also enjoyed the AMV 101 panel.

Cons

- While some of the staff were really great this year, there were some staff that were very crude. When my husband and I were accidently walking through the wrong side of the check-ins, a lady called out "Girls!". When we informed her that my husband was indeed a guy, instead of admitting the mistake, she told us, "So what?" It was very rude and I could undestand if we were cosplaying, but we weren't. Manners are a great thing when people are not really doing anything wrong.

- While I liked the idea of doing the 18+ wristbands, I do think that the staff went a bit overboard with it. As long as a person has their ID and states that he/she was over 18 years of age, they should be allowed to stay if they can prove their age. Next year, instead of doing the wrist bands, maybe do a special type of badge where it identifies a person who is 18 years or older.

- Some of the fan panels were really awesome and well organized. And then there were some...that really showed clips and had no real agenda. It felt as if they were just trying to take up time rather than run a panel. Maybe instead of accepting panel ideas, have people applying for panels send an agenda of what they plan to show and how they intend to show it.

- As a person who participated in the Art Auction this year, I was very displeased and upset with how items were displayed. I was told that my pieces would be hung as soon as someone went to get more fishing line to hang up pieces since the regulations on the AZ rules for the Art Auction was that any artwork had to be framed. Well, it appears that they never went out for supplies and my pieces were on the floor the entire weekend. If that was the case, I really didn't need to purchase a frame at all and could have easily just hung the poster by itself so it could have at least hung on the walls. This did not help display artwork by other artists and I find it rather frustrating. This is my biggest complaint.
~Paprika
Deviantart: http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iprika
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/iprika

Artist Alley 2014
Ichibancon - Waitlisted
Katsucon - Applied
Ring of Fire Con - Confirmed
Shutocon - Waitlisted
Momocon - Confirmed
Paprika
Shonen Bat Victim