• http://www.animazement.org/
  • It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

How were the artist applications "juried"?

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

How were the artist applications "juried"?

Postby Animetalchick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:30 pm

I just wanted to know the standards and qualifications that the judges were looking for this year, since the applications were never juried before (as far as I know.) My friend and I didn't quite make it and were waitlisted like many others. Were they looking for a certain style or popularity of the artist's business? Is my work not anime looking enough? Here are a few examples of my work:

Cosplay 2013:
Yukiko Amagi from Persona 4
Asuka from Evangelion
Animetalchick
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Re: How were the artist applications "juried"?

Postby Hiryuu » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 pm

The show is juried every year. I'm not staff, so you can't quote me, but they literally take in the pool and try to be as diverse as possible, but only taking the best of the best in each field. Like, you do little clay keychains, but many other artists do this. If you didn't have the best, or others had more of a showing (like, you have 10 clay designs but the other person had 50+), you might have been waitlisted. Some of your works also wouldn't work in an AA setting, like the staircase. This is good art, but doesn't really fit into the anime con artist alley scene. They do set aside spots, I believe, for a number of newcomer artists to gain insight, but they just might not have chosen you. The amount of applications is really overwhelming.
Is a tired tired panda!
Hiryuu

Postby Animetalchick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks for the quick response! These were just a few examples, since I didn't want to fill up the post with too many pictures. I would just include something like the staircase piece in a portfolio. I believe I did lack a quantity of products to display compared to other artists. I'm just surprised I was accepted into the Artist Alley a couple years ago when I was an absolute amateur and wasn't nearly as prepared, haha.
Cosplay 2013:
Asuka from Evangelion
Animetalchick

Postby kojika » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:10 pm

I know what you mean, I'd love to know how they really jury it on this level, cause this is the 2nd year in the row, even though I put it within like the first half hour of AA applications going live, I got waitlisted. I had done the con as a member of the alley since like 2005 all the way up to 2011, but both this year, and last year, I didn't get it, even when I've been in before...and I've looked through their alley (of course, who doesn't?), and I really can't make heads or tails of it...there seemed to be a lot of just the same things, and not the variety I was expecting.

Since AA is always the big determining factor for cons from me (especially when they are a 13 hr drive away like this one is), it kinda can totally make or break plans.
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
*Saturday -Nami, Z Movie (One Piece)
*Sunday- Pariet (Summon Night 5)
kojika
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Shenanagan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:57 pm

In agreement with Hiryuu, although the applications used to be based on first-come, first-serve up until 3 years ago. I made the cut the first year they did this, got put on the waitlist last year as well as this year.

And I mean, I'd sold work at the AA 5 years prior to the applications being juried, so I also want in on how it's being judged now.
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Hiryuu » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 pm

If you're a returning artist, I also remember something being stated about having significant amount of work between the last year and this year. And it has to be more varied or better in technical details than the year before.
I also feel like they try to give more spots to artist that haven't been going as long (1-2 yr vets or brand newcomers) to keep it fresh. This was also mentioned last year. It helps you out if you have a wide array of new work that's completely different from the past year.
Is a tired tired panda!
Hiryuu

Postby lillychan08 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm not for sure how they judge art for the AA. I know that I'm on the waitlist again this year. I was on it last year and decided not to come down from Ohio. I'm at a loss this year. I was hoping to come down to Animazement because to tell you the truth that this con besides my local con- Masturicon has feel like home to me. AZ is the best convention that I've been to in years. I really enjoy coming down and meeting everyone. So I'm not for sure what to do about this year. I was looking forward to take some time away during memorial day weekend to come back to AZ. (I also have an panel application in as well... I might play that one by ear.)

Anyways best of luck to all artists that made it :)
~Lilly-chan
Lilly-chan
Conventions 2014!
Ohayocon|Shuto-con|Animazement?|Glass City|Matsuricon

Artist Alley
Lilly's Art (Green Table Cloth and Banner!)

Panels
Sailor Moon: Celebrating A New Generation of Fans Fan Panel

Lilly's Art & Lilly's Websites
Margaret Tyler's dA's portfolio gallery
Lilly's deviantART Art Gallery
Lilly's Art: the online art gallery of Meg Tyler
Moonlight Real Girls: A BSSMLA Fanlisting|Fansite
Family of Moonlight Blog- "Showcasing the very best from Sailor Moon Fans"
lillychan08

Postby Shenanagan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 am

Hiryuu wrote:If you're a returning artist, I also remember something being stated about having significant amount of work between the last year and this year. And it has to be more varied or better in technical details than the year before.
I also feel like they try to give more spots to artist that haven't been going as long (1-2 yr vets or brand newcomers) to keep it fresh. This was also mentioned last year. It helps you out if you have a wide array of new work that's completely different from the past year.

I'm kind of confused, as I heard they weren't favoring seniority, but I didn't hear specifics about the kind of work we had to have. I know for one that I definitely had plenty of new stuff to show for these past 2 years I've been applying, yet didn't make the cut once again.
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Shenanagan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 pm

lillychan08 wrote:I was looking forward to take some time away during memorial day weekend to come back to AZ. (I also have an panel application in as well... I might play that one by ear.)

I submitted a panel too (ironically on Artist Alley 101, haha!) And I'm banking on the result for that to determine whether or not I can even afford to go this year :( I love meeting the people at AZ, it's what keeps me coming back.

Good luck with your panel! Hope you don't have to sacrifice coming back this year!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Paprika » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm actually quite curious myself. This was my first year applying for the Artist Alley in AZ and I was waitlisted as well as many others as I am finding out.

While I have applied to others this year (first year at all trying AA), being waitlisted was kind of a disappointment since Animazement was my first ever convention that I have been going to as well as the one I have been attending the longest. Don't get me wrong though, I am thrilled for the other artists who made it, I'm just wondering what criteria were they using.
~Paprika
Deviantart: http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iprika
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/iprika

Artist Alley 2014
Ichibancon - Waitlisted
Katsucon - Applied
Ring of Fire Con - Confirmed
Shutocon - Waitlisted
Momocon - Confirmed
Paprika
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Marzipan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Keep your chin up guys! I was wait listed as well, but you never know who will pay and who won't. ;)
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Shenanagan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Paprika, good luck with your other convention applications! I know I've got a few more I'm applying for as my Plans B,C,D and E. So keep at it! :)

Marzipan: That is a good point! Although I hope my griping doesn't decrease my chances at the lottery, hehe! XP
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Animetalchick » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:53 am

Wouldn't have guessed that my thread would've become this active! Judging by the responses, there seems to be a very large number of people who sent in applications this year. We should start a new collective group of "waitlisted artists", lol. Congrats to anyone who made it in this year. I'm hoping that this year they will have good variety in the artist alley. Everyone I've seen selling in the AA is very talented, but many products look similar.

I've also heard that Animazement is strict when it comes to accepting panels. They want to stay within the boundaries of Japanese Culture and not just generally nerdy pop culture. I always have fun at Animazement and love the supportive staff, but sometimes I wish there was a larger variety of things.
Cosplay 2013:
Asuka from Evangelion
Animetalchick

Postby Shenanagan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Animetalchick wrote:Wouldn't have guessed that my thread would've become this active! Judging by the responses, there seems to be a very large number of people who sent in applications this year. We should start a new collective group of "waitlisted artists", lol. Congrats to anyone who made it in this year. I'm hoping that this year they will have good variety in the artist alley. Everyone I've seen selling in the AA is very talented, but many products look similar.

I think every year more and more people apply for a table, so there's always the chance you'll end up with a large waitlist! There's just less tables than there used to be due to the space that they're in now, which is a nice area, but there's just no way to squeeze in a ton of extra tables there.

Animetalchick wrote:I've also heard that Animazement is strict when it comes to accepting panels. They want to stay within the boundaries of Japanese Culture and not just generally nerdy pop culture. I always have fun at Animazement and love the supportive staff, but sometimes I wish there was a larger variety of things.

Yes, they are more strict now about panels and trying to keep them relevant to Japanese culture and anime!

And as far as the variety of things, I think when you've been going to the same convention for a long time (I've been going to AZ for almost 10 years now!), there's gonna be that sense of "been there, done that" a lot more.
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby middayice » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm

I got waitlisted as well. I really like to know the judging on tables 2 i was going to share one with a friend. She had a table last year and i just havent applied in ages. Me and my friends use to do the little beaded bonzai trees. I was going to do a few of them this year as well as selling cosplay prints and taking photos as well.

Animazement would benifit greatly if they could increase AA size and capicity.
Az 2013

UInsure on cosplay
middayice

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:39 pm

middayice wrote:Animazement would benifit greatly if they could increase AA size and capicity.

I liked when we were in a ballroom, because not only did they have tables in the room, they were able to put a bunch of tables outside on the hallway leading up to the room. Now that the tables are currently in the Mezzanine area, it doesn't make sense to put the extra tables up there since they didn't do as well, not being connected to us down below.

If only there was some way to bring back the ballroom setup!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Marzipan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:57 am

I don't think the ballroom will ever be an option again since they use those rooms for EVERYTHING now. Bobguy has mentioned that they are in the works of getting us a Dealer's Room in the future. We just have to be patient as AZ continues to grow and they try to figure out the best way to accommodate everyone with the budget they have. I know they're doing their best, we just have to have faith in them. Rome wasn't built in a day! ;)

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby Shenanagan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Marzipan, your positive outlook is to be admired! :) I hope they can incorporate those changes soon.

And hey, look at that! I ended up being selected via the lottery system! Looks like we may be joining in the fun this year.
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby TerraMinuit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:36 pm

So I'm guessing waitlisted people who haven't heard anything can assume we weren't chosen in the lottery? I haven't really heard anything about the waitlisted lottery this year.
Unohana-taichou at your service.
AZ '13 Cosplays
Aradia Megido (Homestuck)
Fluttershy (Human) MLP:FiM
Captain America (Lolita) Avengers
Doll Naruto
TerraMinuit
Resident Captain Mom

Postby Marzipan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Shenanagan wrote:Marzipan, your positive outlook is to be admired! :) I hope they can incorporate those changes soon.

And hey, look at that! I ended up being selected via the lottery system! Looks like we may be joining in the fun this year.

Heehee, thanks! I'm just an old hat, and I tend to put myself in their situation. I would not want to be the one planning AA. Just coordinating photoshoots is stressful enough. :3

And yay Shenanagan! I found out this afternoon I got selected in the lottery too!! :D Looks like I will see you in the alley. <3

Terra - Don't give up, there is still a chance they will do another wave next week when some of the artists don't pay! Think positive thoughts. :3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Next

Return to Artist Alley