• http://www.animazement.org/
  • It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:22 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

How were the artist applications "juried"?

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

Re: How were the artist applications "juried"?

Postby kojika » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah...the waitlist lottery thing is just suddenly upon us, but yeah, figures, nothing on my end, either. It's sourly disappointing that I didn't get in at AZ yet again...It's not that I don't understand that they cut tables, and all that, but it seems odd that when I was able to get in, I'm no longer am. So yeah, like the whole reason of this thread, lol, I wanna know WHAT I'm doing wrong
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
*Saturday -Nami, Z Movie (One Piece)
*Sunday- Pariet (Summon Night 5)
kojika
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby Marzipan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a panel last year titled "Why didn't I get in?" that you could attend so they could answer your questions about AA directly. Not that this helps you guys now, but if you come to AZ and you don't get a direct answer that applies to just you here on the forums, maybe they will run this panel again. :3
Join the very much UNofficial Animazement FB group!<3

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby kojika » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:06 pm

I didn't get to go to many panels, especially the ones that were like the feedback ones. I live 13+ hrs away from the con, so yeaaah, we leave relatively early on Sundays, save for when I have AA, cause then I'm all like "screw sleep!"

That was my first time hearing anything of the sort though..
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
kojika

Postby Marzipan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm

I had a feeling I remembered you being one of the ones who lived a gajillion miles away. xD

I'm pretty sure I'm remembering this right. Hopefully Bobguy will come in soon and clarify and answer some questions.

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Postby kojika » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:14 pm

Lol, yes, I have problems XD (nah, mostly, I love this con, even if it's quite pricey for me to travel to it)

yeah, haha, hopefully
~Sanzaki Kojika

Look for me in AA~!

2014 Cosplay:
*Friday- Lyfa (SAO)
kojika

Postby Shenanagan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks Marzipan! And congrats to you too! ^_^

I think I might've heard they were doing a "Why didn't I get in" panel and I wonder when that was! I would've wanted to attend just to see what sort of things they were talking about.

kojika wrote:Lol, yes, I have problems XD (nah, mostly, I love this con, even if it's quite pricey for me to travel to it)

yeah, haha, hopefully

And I totally hear you too, kojika! Artist Alley is the be-all-end-all for a lot of us when deciding to attend AZ. Maybe they'll do a second lottery, though if they're doing multiple lotteries it must mean there were quite a few tables people didn't pay for!

I also would want to know just how many people get put on the waitlist each year. It seems like the list just gets bigger and bigger!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Shenanagan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks Marzipan! And congrats to you too! ^_^

I think I might've heard they were doing a "Why didn't I get in" panel and I wonder when that was! I would've wanted to attend just to see what sort of things they were talking about.

kojika wrote:Lol, yes, I have problems XD (nah, mostly, I love this con, even if it's quite pricey for me to travel to it)

yeah, haha, hopefully

And I totally hear you too, kojika! Artist Alley is the be-all-end-all for a lot of us when deciding to attend AZ, and other big cons out there. Maybe they'll do a second lottery, though if they're doing multiple lotteries it must mean there were quite a few tables people didn't pay for!

I also would want to know just how many people get put on the waitlist each year. It seems like the list just gets bigger and bigger!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby BobGuy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Our process:

The jury consists of myself, my partner and other people from AZ. We look at all the art and vote on it. We all have differing tastes so a lot of times one of us will say "no" but be outvoted. If it's a close vote we come back to it. Sometimes one of us will argue for an artist an sway the majority. We do this to give a fair shot to all artists and try to avoid biased opinions.

In regards to new or old artists getting preference, it's neither. I can tell you, seeing upwards of 200 applicants a year, I can't remember them all. Names blur together, art does too. We couldn't care less if you've been there or not. Yeah, we like getting new talent but we also like to see old talent. But saying "I've been here before I should be here again" is not going to sway us. You compete like everyone else.

What we look for: something to set you apart. Now, this one is tough. You don't rightly know what we are seeing in applications, so while you might walk around the con and see almost nothing like your work, we might have gotten five other artists who have very similar work as yours.

We don't look for "the best of the best" exactly. We look for unique artists who show talent, be it in technical skill, creative skill, or both. I personally fight for artists who may not be the most skilled, but you can tell they are really trying. But if you skilled but you just draw the same thing over and over, you might not get in.

What we do require, is something in your work that shows influence from Japanese culture. We ARE an anime con with a growing appreciation of other Japanese cultural stuffs. Now, if you draw Batman in an anime style, that works. If you draw Naruto in an American comic book style, that works. If you create crafts based on something Japanese/anime, that counts. If you draw Batman in an American style... not really what we accept. In fact, this is a rule we've been sort of lenient in the past but we're getting more strict on it. On all the rules. (Better not have buttons with copyright logos or plain text, yo)

Which brings me to steampunk. Steampunk is not truly Japanese or anime. It's based on industrial age Europe and/or American "Wild West". Even anime like FMA and Steamboy are still set in Europe. Steampunk is spreading to Japan, but it's still based on European industrial age mostly. If you are trying to sell steampunk jewelry, you really need to throw in something Japanese! I don't know what exactly, that's up to you to be creative. But if all you have is a necklace with a gear. Um... how is that Japanese?

REQUIREMENT NUMBER 2: Influence: Artwork must also have Japanese influence through either style or subject matter

This is not to say you can't sell this stuff. Just, make your portfolio mostly Japanese/anime stuffs. Don't throw in one single Naruto in a sea of Batman and go "I do animes!" If you have to team up with a friend who does anime art so you can sell your steampunk, do it. Find a way to make it fall into the requirements.

Back to the topic at hand. Sadly, asking "what did I do wrong?" probably won't have an easy answer. Sometimes it was as simple as "you were very similar to someone else, and they just got more votes. Hey, I mighta voted for you. I mighta voted against you. If you want to PM me directly and ask "why was I not accepted" I'll answer. But be warned! I'm actually pretty nice, but I'm also pretty blunt. I will give you a true art critique. If you can't handle constructive criticism, if you'll cry and say I'm mean, then save yourself the grief and ask someone else.

And, I can never, ever stress this enough. At the end of the day, no matter how many people we want to accept, we're limited to the number of tables we are given. Being waitlisted is not equal to "being a terrible artist". That's why we love getting new tables, less people we have to turn away. In an ideal world, we'd give everyone a table (as long as they are following our rules)

Did I miss anything?
Artists Alley moderator
BobGuy
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby Shenanagan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for sharing this info with us Bob! It definitely helps to know how it's being juried by you guys. And it's great that you found a way to put out some more tables upstairs from the Mezzanine!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Marzipan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Love the response Bob. Thanks for posting. :]

Marzipan
Photoshoot Coordinator
Photoshoot Coordinator

Previous

Return to Artist Alley