• It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

New to AA and looking for tips

Gifted with artistic ability or just wanting to collect some great works of art? This is the section for you!

Moderator: BobGuy

New to AA and looking for tips

Postby Lenalee » Sat May 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Long story short: I have to work Animazement weekend and since I'm moving to Raleigh in September for art school, I really wanted to go to a con in Winston since it's close (I'm in Greensboro). I just recently acquired a table at that con, which I'm trilled about. It's my first time having a table, but I've been to many many cons before many moons ago. The table was relatively cheap so I went for it.

My questions are,
What kinds of prints should I bring?
Glossy photo stock?
Regular printer paper (printed professional at Staples/Office Depot)?
Where's the best place to print them at? Walgreens/Target vs Staples/Office Depot?
What size is typically most popular? (My guess is 11x14 but I don't want to be wrong...)

I'm sure I'm missing lots of other questions I have, I'm just so keyed up about this table :) I figured I'd post my question here because I've been to AZ like 3 or 4 times and the forums are fairly active.
27th Seat of the Terror Squad
Maid at the Maid Cafe
Inhabitor of the Broom Closet in the Maid Cafe
http://www.RabidxToaster.deviantart.com

2014 Cosplay:
Thursday: Broke College Student (100%)
Friday: Princess Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles) 100%
Saturday: Snow Queen Elsa (Frozen) 75%
Sunday: Princess Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles) 100%
Lenalee
Accommodator of Innocence

Re: New to AA and looking for tips

Postby Shenanagan » Sun May 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi there Lenalee! Are you talking about Hoshicon by any chance? Because I'll be selling at their Artist Alley too! :D

Hmm, if you were coming to Animazement I would've recommended you come to my Artist Alley 101 panel XP But I can still answer your questions here!

For your first question, what sort of prints do you normally make? That might help in determining what you should bring!

I would go for a nice paper, maybe glossy but I actually prefer matte. You can get this kind of paper at Office Max/Staples, and it's good quality! There are lots of brands to choose from, but HP has some good paper.

If you want to print them yourself, go for it! If you want to get them printed, I personally recommend Office Max. I've had lots of great service from them and their prices are a lot cheaper than Kinkos (which their prints always come out too dark, for some reason).

I would also recommend experimenting with different sizes. Some people will go for the larger prints but others might like smaller ones, like 8x10 or even postcard size is popular!

Hope that is helpful! Let us know if you have any other questions :) Other artists out there, what do you think???
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Lenalee » Sun May 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Yes, I'll be in the Dealer's Room for Hoshicon :D

I've printed posters at Walgreens before but it's like $20 each so I'm just poking around to see where else is cheaper. For my college art classes I've had things printed at Staples on 11x17 for like less than a dollar but it was printer paper, but still I would assume a heavier stock would not be too much more expensive.

And thank you, that was helpful :)
27th Seat of the Terror Squad
Maid at the Maid Cafe
Inhabitor of the Broom Closet in the Maid Cafe
http://www.RabidxToaster.deviantart.com

2014 Cosplay:
Thursday: Broke College Student (100%)
Friday: Princess Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles) 100%
Saturday: Snow Queen Elsa (Frozen) 75%
Sunday: Princess Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles) 100%
Lenalee
Accommodator of Innocence

Postby Shenanagan » Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Awesome!

At Office Max you have a couple of different paper options. There's even one that's really nice and glossy and it'll cost you less than $5 per print I believe. So just do some poking around, and good luck!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Return to Artist Alley