• It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Cosplay Chess 2013 Review

All those big time events of the convention from Dances to Music Videos, from Cosplay to Karaoke, we'll talk about them here.

Moderator: Kaji

Cosplay Chess 2013 Review

Postby Confuzed-Anime-Fan » Mon May 27, 2013 12:20 am

This year's cosplay chess was Masculine vs. Feminine.
The people in charge of it chose characters poorly (They had 2 of the same characters), they had summon characters take away roles that could've been given to an understudy. (the gender bent Thor already had a role, it should've been given to someone else), and didn't follow their own rules because a character was "too feminine" to be on the "masculine" side (Ceil is not masculine. A nurtured animal has more balls than him. Even though Thor and Loki were gender bent, they still behaved like the original characters).
But what disappointed me the most was the admin not following their own rules and choosing this theme and trying to define gender roles.
Confuzed-Anime-Fan
Shonen Bat Victim

Re: Cosplay Chess 2013 Review

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Mon May 27, 2013 12:55 am

Honestly, I enjoyed it. I would have entered Vaas had I known there was an @ con sign-up (before it had ended at least), which could have solved the redundant character issue, but I'll just save that character for next time. Gives me time to perfect my Micheal Mando impression.

Good show though guys. Just curious, what other cons will this event be popping up at?
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby MladaOfHamelin » Mon May 27, 2013 6:05 am

So there was an at con signup? Damn, I would have submitted my Beatrice costume if I knew that. They plastered everywhere that there would be no at con signups...that sucks. I missed out on the chess event, so I can't give any feedback on that aspect though.

Maybe it was all based upon physical appearance instead of mannerisms...
MladaOfHamelin
Citizen of Macross City

Postby Confuzed-Anime-Fan » Mon May 27, 2013 5:12 pm

MladaOfHamelin wrote:Maybe it was all based upon physical appearance instead of mannerisms...

Unfortunately, it was based upon physical appearance. Making it seem that appearance determines gender roles.
Confuzed-Anime-Fan
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Kaji » Tue May 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Howdy, this is your mod of this forum. I was also the chessmaster portraying The Doctor.

Now, I don't know if Teddybomber had any rigid criteria for who went on which side, but this event was all in good fun, not some serious study of masculinity or femininity. Moreover, unless you discussed this in depth with Teddybomber herself, your assertions about how she picked people for each side don't really hold much water.

As for the at-con signups, that was impromptu because of dropouts. I'll advise her to change things to read "There will only be at-con signups if necessary." In fairness, Teddybomber foresaw no need for at-con signups, thus there weren't any originally planned. But if you foresaw that, that means you can see the future, so please tell me the winning numbers for the state lottery.

Strictly speaking, CCS and Tsubasa characters are not the same entities, at least to my understanding. However, the two Little Sisters were originally signed up to occupy a single square together. They were likely split when we got up to go time and needed one square filled.

Also, let's refrain from references to characters' bits. Family friendly and all that.
Follow your grape to righteousness.
Kaji
Jesus 3.0

Postby Kaji » Tue May 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Oh! One last thing: Summons do not take roles that could have been given to understudies. Summons sign up with their respective pieces.
Follow your grape to righteousness.
Kaji
Jesus 3.0

Return to The Greatest Shows On Earth