• It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2013

Got a question for staff or feedback pertaining to Animazment to make it the best convention in the United States? Unload it here! Don't worry, we can take it!

Moderator: BobD

Re: Thoughts/Suggestions for AZ 2013

Postby PhantomGamer » Tue May 28, 2013 9:49 pm

I felt like the panels got cracked down on this year. There was nothing I really wanted to see. I always try to go to the cosplay panels, and of the two there were this year, one was cancelled and one person never bothered to show up to run theirs. I also was really looking forward to seeing Jezeroth's panel and was incredibly disappointed to see that his only panel was at twelve midnight on Saturday. Some of us actually like to get enough sleep over the con weekend.

Also, the treatment of photographers this year was ridiculous. If you want to crack down on professional photographers, that's fine, but this is the second year in a row that they've been given complete miscommunication about what is and what isn't allowed. Last year it was whether or not they could have light stands and multiple photographers had to get theirs weapons checked, and this year it was no external lighting sources, but they weren't told until Friday morning. Thursday they were told that DSLRs weren't allowed. I overheard one photographer say that he got in trouble for having a camera that looked "too professional". The photography rules need to be stated CLEARLY somewhere.

Was it just me or were there fewer dealers this year? Seemed like less of the space was used up. If that happens again next year, is there any way to spread out some of the booths or allow some of the smaller booths to have a little more space? Some of them were crammed in so tightly that only one or two people could fit into them at once, depending on the size of their costume.

I was also angered by the "no Western media" rule for the Masquerade. I was really looking forward to entering, but my sketch was going to be from Captain America. I ended up not even bothering to attend, knowing I wouldn't understand any of the skits.

On the plus side, Artist Alley's traffic flow was fantastic this year. I don't know what you guys did to change it, but do it again next year!

Also, KEEP INVITING LAUGH OUT LOUD. They absolutely MADE my convention this year. However, the line to get in to see them on Saturday night is always really long and ridiculous, can we give them a bigger space next year?

I loved having a map of the Dealer's Room and Artist Alley. It made it so easy to figure out where the must-haves were.

I also noticed that there seemed to be less confusion over what did and did not need to be weapons-checked. The rules seemed to be fairly even across the board.

On the neutral side, I would have liked to have more information about the Formal. I didn't really know what exactly to expect. I ended up not going because I wasn't sure if my costume would be considered formal enough and didn't want to deal with the hassle.
PhantomGamer
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Animetalchick » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 am

The Good
+Politeness of Everyone: The volunteer staff, RCC, and con goers were all extremely polite this year! I've seen issues with the security staff in the past, but this year they were friendly and professional (at least from what I saw.)
+The Panels: I really enjoyed most of the panels I went to this year. A few of them include "Must see Animated Films", "Awesomely Bad J-music videos", "Psychoanalysis of Evangelion", "Studying, Working, and Living in Japan", etc.
+The Dance: There was a perfect amount of space inside the ballroom. The music choice was also fantastic. I was grateful for the amount of water coolers that they had supplied this year.

The Okay
=The Formal Dance: I was only here for a few minutes, because I just wanted to check it out before deciding to stay. From what I heard the musical wasn't jazz, classical, or anything remotely formal sounding. I'm sure there was classical music played at some point, but not while I was there. I was also confused about the vagueness of the dress code when I read the description on the website. I didn't really know what to expect from this event.

=Lack of Video Game Dealer Tables: I was really underwhelmed by the lack of tables that sold video games. As I recall there was only one of them, even though I saw countless tables that sold plushes. I know this is an anime oriented convention, but it would be nice to see more variety.

=Timing of panels felt Unbalanced: Most of the events and popular panels were held on Friday. The NOIZ concert, Formal Dance, Anime Hell, and various panels were all held during one day rather than balancing it out and moving a few of them to Saturday. Saturday is when a majority of the people attend the convention.

=Layout of the Artist Alley: I felt like many artists on the second floor didn't receive nearly as many traffic or customers.

The Bad
-Audio Quality in Panel Rooms: The Awesomely Bad J-music Video panel struggled to have good audio quality while showing the videos. They apologized about the audio and said that they couldn't fix the speakers.

-Line for Anime Hell: There was an enormous line for Anime Hell and it wrapped around in the shape of a J. Unfortunately, when the doors opened many people cut in line or changed the direction of the line to get in first. I was initially in the middle of the line, but I ended up near the very end once everyone started cutting. I wasn't exactly happy about that after waiting for 30+ minutes. I'm sure many people waited even longer than I did.
Cosplay 2013:
Yukiko Amagi from Persona 4
Asuka from Evangelion
Animetalchick
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby R3dOtaku » Wed May 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Most everything I have good to say has already been said so I will stick with the bad. I have been coming to Animazement for several years. This is the first year I was able to share this experience with my wife. Unfortunately this has been the worst Animazement I've been to. Not for the convention itself, but for the people who are starting to attend.

Animazement is growing. Which is good. But it seems to be growing further and further away from its original purpose. It seems its no longer just an Anime, Manga, and Japanese convention. But its now a gathering place for obnoxious people to act obnoxious. Street dancing in front of the door, drunk guys heckling girls, people coming just for the rave. Everyone still calls it the rave even if Animazement changes the name.

When I wrote this, it was 2:30 AM Sunday morning (Saturday Night), my wife I both were once again woken up by some disrespectful people running up and down the halls yelling, shouting, and cursing. This was at the Marriott. We called the front desk and they got it to stop. But then we could not get back to sleep because even that late there were still people outside dancing, yelling, and being so loud we could hear them a dozen stories up.

And no, we are not some old couple complaining about loud kids. Were both 23. And as stated before I have been coming for the past several years. I've cosplayed. My wife and I both cosplayed this year. With more pictures and compliments of our cosplays than ever before. We participate in the con. But we still show respect. You don't yell and scream past certain hours, especially in the hallway. Where is Raleigh's noise ordinance for outside the convention? Some of us have real life's and jobs to return to come Monday. And not only does getting only a couple hours of sleep make the convention experience miserable. But it leaves you drained and not rested come Monday. This is supposed to be a vacation. A retreat. Not something that adds to your stress.

Besides the noise at all hours of the night, we saw a girl grope a guy and he had to yell at her to get off. We saw drunk muscle heads throwing food and trying to start fights. These same guys did not have badges, and were even sitting in the resticted area during the masquerade. Nothing was said to them. We saw many things that are not supposed to happen at Animazement.

Another person already mentioned it, but there were too many people walking around shirtless that were not cosplaying. If your cosplaying as a shirtless character that is one thing. If you have your shirt off just because you want attention, that's not ok.

I'm not against innudenos, revealing clothing, yelling shouting, cursing, heckling, etc. But there is a time and place for such things. The street dancing should not be blocking the entrances.

For the actual fans that come to have fun. That's what makes the convention fun. The people just trying to enjoy Animazement. But, because of the people who come for their own selfish reasons with no interest in the convention itself. It has turned into an outlet for obnoxious people to act obnoxious. For slutty girls, and guys, to dress inappropriately. For drunk guys to walk around and heckle girls. For dance crews to block the entry way with their street dancing. For people to yell and be obnoxious all hours of the night. Its ridiculous.

Also, the LOL group panels. These have been running out of room every year since they have started to come. Can we please put them in a bigger room!?

Also, again this year there were no signs or information outside the convention as far as registration and lines go. There needs to be signs so people who have preregistered dont wait in the regular registration line. "Preregistration this way", something, anything.

Lastly, its been mentioned many times over including past years reviews, but the masquerade skits.. certain skits are less then subtle. I realize Animazement is geared more towards and older audience, but still, these skits, and especially the music, needs to be reviewed first.

One songs lyrics were, "I make you sweat, I make you wet" while a person danced thrusting their hips back and forth while standing over another person laying on the floor. Not very subtle.
R3dOtaku
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby BobD » Thu May 30, 2013 10:15 am

Hi gang

Just want to thank you all for coming this year to the convention. We appreciate your support of Animazement. Also, thank you for taking the time to help us in making improvements to the con. We are definitely reading over these comments and where applicable will strive to take suggestions to implement them to make Animazement a more enjoyable and educational event in the future.
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby MinaUchiha2 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:40 pm

BobD wrote:Hi gang

Just want to thank you all for coming this year to the convention. We appreciate your support of Animazement. Also, thank you for taking the time to help us in making improvements to the con. We are definitely reading over these comments and where applicable will strive to take suggestions to implement them to make Animazement a more enjoyable and educational event in the future.

My thought: Keep having Bob at the con! I liked him being here this year unlike last. =p
MinaUchiha2
The Cosplay Uke

Postby Shenanagan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 am

I mostly said what I wanted to say on the Facebook feedback thread, but I just thought of something to add:

I know lots of people mentioned this before, but I would like to see the Artist Alley move to that bigger space people keep talking about. The Alley being in the Mezzanine has been great so far, but I feel that in order to include more artists and make the alley grow again is to return to the first-come, first-serve application system. I keep hearing people say that there isn't enough interest, but there are lots of artists who do apply every year that can't get a table yet because of the alley's current location and application system. If 9 out of 10 were guaranteed a table because more have become available, I feel that would encourage even more people to apply.

I hope this gets taken into consideration, as I love being in Animazement's Artist Alley and would love to see it grow!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby TearRose » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:42 am

So this year's convention was fun like the rest. Not very many issues with much of anything. The dealer's room didn't have very many new vendors which is what I usually look for when I go in there. There also weren't that many interesting panels this year and the one fan panel I went to had the characters all wrong to the point that I couldn't stay. I do plan on possibly hosting a panel next year though.
On that note, I would like to point out that I am a part of a local Raleigh shadow cast and we have for years been trying to figure out how to not loose our audience because the convention is happening and very few people show up to our play even though the theater is literally 5 to 10 minutes away from the convention center. I have asked the convention staff well in advanced this year if it would be possible to preform the Japanese version of this play as well as having the cast cosplay while preforming. I was told that because the movie is not relating to Japan in anyway, that this could not be done.
So I ask why is it that there was a "Cosplay Chess"? Chess is not a Japanese game and in fact originated from England (like the movie/play we would be preforming). It makes no sense to tell someone one thing but then contradict themselves with something else.
When myself and other cast members have cosplayed as the characters we shadow cast, we have received a lot of fans asking for photos and praising us for cosplaying the movie. So I am positive we would have an audience especially if it involved the Japanese version with some added cosplayers for cast.
Moving on, I like that NOIZ was back and it was fun to see them all again. I was a little confused as to why they only did one show instead of two though. It was also on Friday, which made Saturday a little boring because I wasn't looking forward to much of anything. If they can no longer do 2 shows for whatever reason, I suggest getting a second jPop/jRock group for the other day.
TearRose
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby WashuOtaku » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:43 am

This goes without saying, but the non-existent photography rules that only existed during the con was a huge mistake. Without saying the miscommunication at the start of the convention that banned all DSLR and pro looking cameras Thursday and Friday morning was not fan friendly for those that owned those cameras. But without question, the fact that their is no posted rules anywhere on the website, the book, the rule board at the con, or anywhere else made it worse.

I know several photographers that were successful in getting a refund and still took pictures outside the con at no benefit too the con. We were very fortunate that it didn't rain during most of the con, or it could have gotten ugly.

So this is my recommendation, post a photography guideline of some sort (i.e. what is allowed, what's not inside the convention center) and let it be known.
Facebook ~ Flickr ~ Twitter ~ Washu.org
"Nekokoneko gives me peace of mind."
WashuOtaku
Citizen of Macross City

Postby Tavex » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:54 am

Find a way to make time almost come to a complete stand still so that it doesn't feel like AZ is over almost as soon as I get there.

Seriously, do it.
Time flies by WAYYYYYYYYY too fast.
Cosplay for 2014 AZ:

Mushishi: Ginko

Final Fantasy XIII: Snow (MIGHT do this again)

Tavex
Pokémon Master

Postby Dimmuburger » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm tired of being Censored
Dimmuburger
That's the Spirit!

Postby BobD » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Dimmuburger wrote:I'm tired of being Censored

It wasn't just you. That whole section of biting back and forth was taken off.
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby MyBrokenStar811 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 pm

As always, I had lots of fun at Animazement. However there were some things that could have been better. The first thing was the limit on how many people could get autographs for both gokus on Sunday. I understand that they were crunched for time because they only had an hour then they had to do a panel but it could have been scheduled at a better time. They are obviously a big deal and many people are going to want their autographs. It is not often that we get both of them at the same time like that. Also my fiance and I found a my little pony wallet full of money at the entrance of the convention center. Being the good and honest people that we are, we turned it in to con ops for lost and found. The lady that took the wallet from con ops was extremely rude and didn't even thank us. She just said "I know who's it is" with an attitude and took it with no appreciation what so ever. Someone else could of found that wallet and the owner would have never seen it again. I don't know what her deal was but she was really rude and I hope she reads this. Anyways aside from that I did notice the dealers room was lacking this year. But I do not blame Animazement for that because Anime Boston did move their dates to the same weekend and a majority of them went there. I also hear that Momocon is going to be on memorial day weekend as well next year so hopefully we wont lose out on so many dealers next year like we did this year. I also didn't like how the charity auction was in a smaller room. I like how it was in the ballroom last year. I think that those are the only things that really bummed me out. On a good note, I still had fun, spent a bunch of money, took tons of pictures, and will still come back next year. Also the new video game room location was pretty awesome and I loved how it was 24 hours. I appreciate the hard work of the con staff and I can't wait until next year.
MyBrokenStar811

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:28 pm

MyBrokenStar811 wrote:I did notice the dealers room was lacking this year. But I do not blame Animazement for that because Anime Boston did move their dates to the same weekend and a majority of them went there.

In addition to Anime Boston there's also FanimeCon in California and Anime North in Canada on Memorial Day weekend, so I imagine there's a fair amount of competition between conventions for which dealers show up.
I'm not sure what's going on here, but have you watched any of these Japaheeno guns-and-hooters cartoon movies?
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:12 pm

So. Mating Habits of the Modern Geek. Hook them up next year. Turnout was HUGE and they talk like they're planning a few more panels next year. It was BY FAR the most crowded panel I attended.

Seriously, do yourselves a favor. Let them run a couple of things. They have the potential to be BIG draws. They are on not only my "Must See" list, but a few friends as well. They rank with anything Spike Spencer and ABJMVs as panels I will knock a baby into oncoming traffic to get to faster.

Phil wrote:
MyBrokenStar811 wrote:I did notice the dealers room was lacking this year. But I do not blame Animazement for that because Anime Boston did move their dates to the same weekend and a majority of them went there.

In addition to Anime Boston there's also FanimeCon in California and Anime North in Canada on Memorial Day weekend, so I imagine there's a fair amount of competition between conventions for which dealers show up.

Don't expect it to get better. I think MoMoCon in Atlanta moved to Memorial Day weekend 2014 as well. Because, you know, I want to go to more cons, so they stack them all together.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:34 am

kaiser_forsaken wrote:So. Mating Habits of the Modern Geek. Hook them up next year.

Mating Habits of the Modern Geek was a great panel, and I'm not just saying that because my friends were running it. They did a helluva job and could definitely rock out a bigger room.

Don't expect it to get better. I think MoMoCon in Atlanta moved to Memorial Day weekend 2014 as well. Because, you know, I want to go to more cons, so they stack them all together.

Yep. Also, Anime Central in Chicago is a week before Memorial Day, so there may be some dealers who head out there and then decide to stay home the next weekend. Either way, it's a crowded time of year.
I'm not sure what's going on here, but have you watched any of these Japaheeno guns-and-hooters cartoon movies?
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby ArcticPuppet » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 am

MyBrokenStar811 wrote:As always, I had lots of fun at Animazement. However there were some things that could have been better. The first thing was the limit on how many people could get autographs for both gokus on Sunday. I understand that they were crunched for time because they only had an hour then they had to do a panel but it could have been scheduled at a better time.

Keep in mind that 100 people in an hour translates to roughly 36 seconds per autograph.
I like Free Hugs and Anime
ArcticPuppet
Mahou Otaku Pretty Fanservice

Postby Seachelle122 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:53 am

I've been going to this convention since I was in middle school back when it happened over in Durham (I'm 22 now). I wanted to say this year is probably the most disappointing year ever (not to mention leaving me feel like I wasted A LOT of money on a badge and hotel room).

Dealer's Room- Please don't close it SO EARLY!!!! It needs to be open until 9 or 10!

No Spike Spencer- Enough said. :(

Panels- OH MY GOD, the fan panels were excruciatingly boring. There were many times this year where I simply got bored. I think Animazement relies too much on fan panels to make it a great con, and unfortunately that's leading to its downfall. I come to a con not only for cosplay, meeting new people, shopping, etc. but MOSTLY for learning new things about my favorite topics or maybe even finding a new favorite topic! Instead of relying on fan panels, you should focus more on bringing in some professionals (big cosplayers, voice actors, animators, comic artists, comedians, etc.). I certainly wouldn't mind you upping the price of badges a bit for it. Watching a group of 5 friends chatter away amongst themselves is certainly fun for them- not so much for the audience. Maybe you need a more intense screening process or need to ask them to provide more detail about their panels ahead of time?
Something needs to be done about the huge lack of quality in panels though. Right now I won't be attending 2014 simply because I got overwhelmingly bored this year.
Possible Animazement '13 Lineup:
- Daenerys (Game of Thrones)
- Kagami (Lucky Star)
- Black Widow (Avengers)
- Fluttershy Gala Dress (My Little Pony)
- BIG MAYBE Sailor Jupiter
Seachelle122
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Chopstickman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 pm

If you were so disappointed with the panels, why not make your own? That's what I did.
Chopstickman

Postby Seachelle122 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 am

Chopstickman wrote:If you were so disappointed with the panels, why not make your own? That's what I did.

I shouldn't have to run my own panel to find the panels enjoyable. :|
Possible Animazement '13 Lineup:
- Daenerys (Game of Thrones)
- Kagami (Lucky Star)
- Black Widow (Avengers)
- Fluttershy Gala Dress (My Little Pony)
- BIG MAYBE Sailor Jupiter
Seachelle122
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Chopstickman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Be that as it may, just what kind of panels do you want? (Bear in mind that Animazement is an educational convention with an emphasis on Japanese culture) You can always toss some ideas down in the Everything Panels board if you don't want to do them yourself. Someone else might take the suggestion and run with it.
Chopstickman

Previous

Return to Dear Animazement