• It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:22 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Tips for Running a Panel?

Got an idea for a panel? Want to know what others think? Need to give a shout out to panel staff? Come on in!

Moderators: Macross-Junkie, Kurotsubasa

Tips for Running a Panel?

Postby SolarisStein456 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:11 pm

A place to put tips for people who may doing their first Panel (like myself)
Animazement 2014
Kyoko Sakura - 85%
Sayaka Miki -85%
Possibly:
Ellie - The last of us - 5%
Mikasa Ackerman - 0%
Animazement 2015 (planned)
Goddess Madoka Kaname - 5%
Mami Tomoe - 0%
Mikasa Ackerman - 0%
SolarisStein456
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Re: Tips for Running a Panel?

Postby Quicksilver95 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Well I would say after running a panel for 3 years now. The first thing you should do is carefully plan. Its good to improvise some material, but you definitely plan most of your panel. The next thing that its good to have is entertaining or engaging materials. That would be anything from getting your audience involved to keeping them well entertained enough to actually stay in your panel.

Other nice things to have are things like engaging names (Who Wants to be an Ocarina Hero?), or you know something that will hook their attention, but make sure your title matches your content. Its nice that people know what their getting into lol. Thats all that I can think of, and if anyone has any questions they can PM me =3.
Cosplays for AZ 15:
I am working on:
Kaito: 100%

I want for future AZ's
Sosuke Aizen: 18%
Link: 0%
Ikasoruk Ogihci: 0%
Kisame Hoshigaki: 15%

Quicksilver95
Newest Host in Ouran High School

Re: Tips for Running a Panel?

Postby Tigress » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:29 am

Leave about 10 - 15 minutes open for questions, random commentary from the audience and set-up and breakdown. While AZ allows 30-minute buffers for their panels, a lot of cons cram panels right up against each other.

If you are doing a panel on an anime series, have clips. There are lots of free and cheap video editing software out there that can give you decent clips. For manga have samples of the artwork.

Don't spend too much time on one single topic. If you are spending more than a few minutes discussing it, you're going to bore your audience. So say what you need and then move on.

If you have a slideshow, don't just read off your slides or notes. Your audience can read. Rather, use the slides as cue cards to keep you on-topic and emphasize your major talking points.

Practice, practice, practice. Seizing up in front of a room full of people sucks. So go through your presentation several times so you know what you want to say and when you want to say it.

End with a bang. If there's a humorous clip or funny pic, end with that. With my Lupin panel, I showed the musical number for no reason from the Lupin live action movie. For Hellsing, I wove in parts from Hellsing Abridged and threw in small bits that led up to a one-liner that concluded my panel.
Kat's Play -- Costume Artist

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should've been more specific.

-- Lily Tomlin
Tigress
Black Rose Duelist

Return to Everything Panels