• It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Anamanaguchi & Kitty Pryde @ Kings Barcade 7/24

What's happening the other 51 weekends of the year? Organize some gatherings, find a club and keep in touch with all those new friends you made at Animazement!

Moderators: Macross-Junkie, Katharine

Anamanaguchi & Kitty Pryde @ Kings Barcade 7/24

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 am

Anamanaguchi with Kitty Pryde @ Kings Barcade in Raleigh. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door.

Some deets.

http://kingsbarcade.com/2013/07/24/cats ... tty-pryde/

Some friends of mine are going, and if I can get my schedule changed, I'll be there. Anyone else in?
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Re: Anamanaguchi & Kitty Pryde @ Kings Barcade 7/24

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 am

For folks not in the know, Anamanaguchi is a chip tune group and Kitty Pryde does hip-hop with some indie pop style thrown in. You can listen to samples here:

Anamanaguchi - Endless Fantasy

Kitty Pryde - Ha Ha, I'm Sorry

I dunno if I'll be able to make it to the show, but it looks like a good time!
I'm not sure what's going on here, but have you watched any of these Japaheeno guns-and-hooters cartoon movies?
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby Tavex » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Anamanaguchi is legit.
Sucks though that I'll be out of state at the time or I'd be going in a heartbeat :(
Cosplay for 2014 AZ:

Mushishi: Ginko

Final Fantasy XIII: Snow (MIGHT do this again)

Tavex
Pokémon Master

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Well if any of ya do make it, I should be running around in a red tank top with a few other nerds. Probably hit Atomic Empire that day to kill time before the show, since I'm driving up from Lumberton.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:33 am

Show was sold out. :( Anyone who made it let me know how it was.

Still, hit Red Monkey Lounge, Crabtree Mall, and Brewmaster's yesterday. Good beer, good food, and good friends. All in all, good day.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:09 pm

kaiser_forsaken wrote:Show was sold out. :( Anyone who made it let me know how it was.

Doh! Sorry you couldn't make it; nothing sucks more than a sold out show.

Still, hit Red Monkey Lounge, Crabtree Mall, and Brewmaster's yesterday.

Sounds like you had a good day in Raleigh, at least! While you were at Crabtree did you happen to hit up the Torii Noodle Bar above Kanki? They're one of the only places in the Triangle that serves up a proper bowl of ramen. Also, I completely love their katsu curry.

Mmmm. Katsu curry.
I'm not sure what's going on here, but have you watched any of these Japaheeno guns-and-hooters cartoon movies?
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 am

I did not. Though that is now on the list of places to hit next go round.

Right up there with the Grand Asia Market in Cary. I hear you can stuff yourself stupid on one of their to-go plates. Big old pile of rice and choice of 3 items for $6.50.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:54 am

kaiser_forsaken wrote:Right up there with the Grand Asia Market in Cary. I hear you can stuff yourself stupid on one of their to-go plates. Big old pile of rice and choice of 3 items for $6.50.

Grand Asia is pretty great alright, though the cafeteria line isn't my favorite part of dining there. Don't get me wrong, it's hard to argue with a huge pile of traditional Chinese cafeteria food for $6.50, but the real action is with the baked goods.

Go on the weekend and they should have huge baskets of steamed buns available. Get yourself some steamed pork buns, BBQ pork buns, or the deluxe pork, quail egg, and Chinese sausage buns. Then go pour on some chili oil from the container at the beginning of the cafeteria line and go to town. It's pretty awesome. They also have dim sum type items that you can order on the spot, dumplings and so forth, to provide some fried food to go along with your steamed food.

Then, around the corner is the bakery section. There's a big warming container full of delights such as the baked BBQ pork bun, curry turnovers, and, my personal favorite, the golden sticky rice bun, which combines a chewy, mochi-like exterior with a ground beef filling. It's super delicious. Then there are the sweet baked goods next to it, key of which is the custard bun. You want to get the custard bun. At the end of the line you can order yourself a bubble tea or iced coffee. You have succeeded at the Grand Asia.

Damn, now I want to go there this weekend.

By the way, folks in Durham can replicate this experience nicely at Li Ming's Global Mart. Unfortunately, their steamed goods store closed, but they've got the three for $6 Chinese menu roulette cafeteria line (my personal favorite item: the spicy fried chicken bits) and a bakery that will sell you custard buns and bubble tea. Awwww yeah.
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:05 am

I'm sot sure whether to thank you for that or tell you to shut your digital mouth. XD Fried chicken bits like Kara Age? Just give me a big pile of those on rice and a bottle of Bulldog Sauce.

Good thing I'm on a semi-diet because every post reminds me how woefully inadequate RobCo is in the good Asian food department.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 am

kaiser_forsaken wrote:I'm sot sure whether to thank you for that or tell you to shut your digital mouth.

Probably both.

Fried chicken bits like Kara Age? Just give me a big pile of those on rice and a bottle of Bulldog Sauce.

It's similar to karage; I'd say the spicy chicken at Li Ming's is more of a Sichuan style chicken with peppers. It's pretty badass.

Good thing I'm on a semi-diet because every post reminds me how woefully inadequate RobCo is in the good Asian food department.

If it's any consolation, I'm on a semi-diet, too, and shouldn't really go to the Grand Asia this weekend and go wild. This isn't to say I won't, mind you, just that I shouldn't.

By the way, while we're talking Chinese food in Raleigh, I can highly recommend Captain J's International Buffet. Ignore the low reviews there - they're referring to the titular buffet, which should be avoided at all costs. Instead, what you want to do is ask for the traditional Chinese menu and go wild with that. One of the chefs makes soup dumplings (xiao long biao aka XLB dumplings) from scratch and they're amazing. Other highlights include the fried dumplings (not a local rarity like the XLB but very well executed), their Shanghai noodles (freshly made in house), the pork chop and rice, and the sausage plate, which has grilled Chinese sausages cut into bite sized pieces and served with slices of raw garlic. They're pretty fantastic. Here's a Chowhound thread about Captain J's with people singing it's praises.

Damn, now I really, really want Chinese food.
Phil
An Elder God...

Return to From June To May