• It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:47 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

2013 Fan Panel Retrospective

Got an idea for a panel? Want to know what others think? Need to give a shout out to panel staff? Come on in!

Moderators: Macross-Junkie, Kurotsubasa

2013 Fan Panel Retrospective

Postby machvvv » Mon May 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Hello,

My name is Sean. This was my first year planning fan panels at Animazement, and I would like to start a retrospective thread to find out about your experience. (specifically for fan panels)

Here are my starting questions:

1. What went well this year?
2. What went poorly this year?
3. Ideas for improvement?
4. What Japanese culture, manga, or anime topic was not represented at all that you are interested in?
machvvv
Shonen Bat Victim

Re: 2013 Fan Panel Retrospective

Postby Chopstickman » Tue May 28, 2013 11:25 am

The organization of the panels went very well this year. Keeping the industry guests on the 302 side of the Convention Center and the fan/culture panels on the 306 side made for an easier time getting into the panels as the 302 side has more space for lines; especially the autograph lines.

The mix of panels was pretty good with multiple fandoms being represented. And not just anime fandoms, but idols, dolls and more. That being said I personally did not attend that many panels and mentioning my own would be entirely self serving but I must insist on having this much variety again next year.

Any improvements on the panels must be done by the panelists themselves. I found areas to improve on in my own panels and will correct them for next year. I encourage my fellow panelists to do the same.

One suggestion for the 9:00 panels is to start them a bit later. I noticed that not only was time taken up with set up, most attendees didn't arrive until around 9:30; and half the panel was over. Setting the start time for 9:00 panels back could alleviate this issue.
Chopstickman
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 pm

I enjoyed the panels I attended, and I LOVED the Mating Habits of the Modern Otaku panel (maybe they can run one of their speed dating events next year).

I WAS disappointed that NO ONE SHOWED UP to the after-panel meet-up though. Even tried to bribe Sean with a sammich.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby nuriko58 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm

I was really appreciative of the 30-minute break between panels this year. I know in years past, it's been tough for panelists to set up and pack up around each other in 10 minutes or less, so it was really nice for my co-panelist and I to know that we could run our full hour and still have plenty of time to pack up afterwards before the next panelist showed up. I don't know if that half hour between panels was planned specifically for that reason, or if there just weren't as many panel applications this year and the staff were trying to space everything evenly in the schedule to make up for it, but I would love for that to become a permanent thing.
nuriko58
Citizen of Macross City

Postby IsiInoForever » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:27 pm

I think this years panels went very well! There was a very wide variety of things to do and I was sooo happy about the choices! Loved the Otaku Dating tips to the Fushigi Yugi panel to Bootlegged Panel.

I was soo pleased with this year! Great job,Sean!
Az 2014 Cosplay:
Jynx/Pokemon : 10 %
TenderHeart/Care Bear : 100% done
Melophme (one of the Muses)/Disney's Hercules : 10%
IsiInoForever
Skilled Valkyrie Pilot

Postby Seachelle122 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:27 am

I was JUST an attendee this year and I was really disappointed in the quality of panels. Most of the panels I attended were just a group of friends chattering away while the audience sat really pretty bored.

I feel like Animazement is basically relying solely on fan panels to make it a great convention, and unfortunately I feel that's a huge mistake! I won't be attending 2014 because I just feel it's not worth the money.

Maybe you need a better screening process for fan panels?
Possible Animazement '13 Lineup:
- Daenerys (Game of Thrones)
- Kagami (Lucky Star)
- Black Widow (Avengers)
- Fluttershy Gala Dress (My Little Pony)
- BIG MAYBE Sailor Jupiter
Seachelle122
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Chopstickman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Unfortunately, the decision process has nothing more than a paragraph or so of description and a title to go on. All panels are solely up to the panelists themselves. We take care of all the planning, multimedia, etc. To be sure the ones the professionals do are much better than a pure fan panel, but we are amateurs. That's why I try to do better every time I host a panel. To get better at giving and do better at making new panels.
Chopstickman
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby Shenanagan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 pm

While the panel variety may not appeal to everyone, I felt that there were many good panels this year! I do think there should be a better screening process, even though I'm not really sure what the criteria should be. Many of the panels I wanted to go to either got cancelled at the last minute or were no-shows. I know it's really hard to schedule everybody at the day/time that works best for everyone, but it would be nice to know that those who commit to hosting a panel actually follow through better!
Shenanagan
Shinsengumi Veteran

Return to Everything Panels