• It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:09 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

DragonCon 2013

What's happening the other 51 weekends of the year? Organize some gatherings, find a club and keep in touch with all those new friends you made at Animazement!

Moderators: Macross-Junkie, Katharine

DragonCon 2013

Postby kh_lover » Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am

DragonCon is the largest multimedia, popular culture convention focusing on Science Fiction & Fantasy, Gaming, Comics, literature, art, music, and film in the universe.

Hey everyone! Most of you probably know about DragonCon, but I noticed it was missing from here.
Here's the website: http://www.dragoncon.org/
August 30 - September 2, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia

Here's the Guest list: http://www.dragoncon.org/?q=guests
Featuring
- Jane Espenson: She is also known for her work as a writer/producer of shows including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, The O.C., Gilmore Girls, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, ABC's Once Upon a Time, and others.
- Jason David Frank: Best Known for his role as Tommy Oliver in the long-running TV show Power Rangers
- Mike Grell: Comic book icon with Green Arrow, Sable, Warlord, and X-Men under his belt!
- Adam Savage & Jamie Hyneman: Best known for their roles as co-host and executive producers of MythBusters.
- Mike McKone: Award winning illustrator of such titles as Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, and the X-Men among many others
-Chris Sarandon: American actor who is best known for playing Prince Humperdinck in the film The Princess Bride, and providing the speaking voice of Jack Skellington from The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- William Shatner: Captain James T. Kirk, captain of the starship USS Enterprise, in the television series Star Trek.
- George Takei:Best known for his portrayal of Mr. Sulu in the acclaimed television and film series Star Trek.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away
but if the dude's cute screw the fruit

Animazement 2013
-Chihaya Ayase (Chihayafuru)
-Gumi (Route Sphere)
kh_lover
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Re: DragonCon 2013

Postby Phil » Tue May 28, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm a regular DragonCon attendee and will definitely be there again this year. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Jim Butcher at the con again. I also note that William Shatner and George Takei have just been announced, which is pretty awesome.
I'm not sure what's going on here, but have you watched any of these Japaheeno guns-and-hooters cartoon movies?
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 pm

I've never been, but I REALLY am considering making it happen this year. Recently introduced some family to the con scene and they are going buck wild. So I just might be able to talk them into splitting room costs. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, this will be the year.

The guest list is nuts. Anything that brings George Takei, John Noble, and Traci Lords into the same physical space is a winner to me.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:52 pm

I think . . . I think it's happening . . . XD

ETA:

It is. :D
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Gally.Bear » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:42 pm

This will be my fifth time at Dragon*Con. I'm so excited, but am starting to get in panic mode. None of my cosplay's are done!!! ^w^'
Gally.Bear
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Since I just got tickets, none of my costumes are started yet, so . . .

I must secretly hate myself, because both planned costumes include trench coats of some flavor. Because that'll be fine. In Atlanta, GA. In late August. Yep, great plan.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Less than 2 weeks. Who else is ready?
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:28 am

kaiser_forsaken wrote:Less than 2 weeks. Who else is ready?

I'm totally ready for DragonCon, but that's pretty straightforward considering that I don't cosplay. All I have to do is show up and relax. Well, and drive to and from Atlanta, but that's not a bad trip. The real question is whether or not to swing by NC Jelly Donuts in Burlington on the way out of town. I think the answer is definitely yes.

Meanwhile, I'm looking over the guest list and, man, I'm going to have to go see Ed Asner. Also, Darwyn Cooke, Peter Davidson, Sylvester McCoy, Malcolm McDowell, and Billy Dee Williams are all high up on my to-see list, along with the aforementioned priority trio of Jim Butcher, George Takei, and Shat. Oh, and can't forget Tom Smith!
I'm not sure what's going on here, but have you watched any of these Japaheeno guns-and-hooters cartoon movies?
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:58 pm

I've got my costumes, now it's just figuring out when the rest of my traveling party will be ready to leave. Check in is Thursday though, so I don't have a long drive or ungodly early morning Friday. Booyah!

I am disappointed that John Noble canceled. I was looking forward to meeting Walter Bishop. Still, they did add Brent Spiner. They got Data man . . .
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby BobD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Was just looking over their guest list. They should have just listed attendees. It probably would have been shorter. Looks to big and hectic for me to enjoy. Getting too old for that type of scene. One of the guests is Kevin D. Dockery. Wonder if there's a relation? ^o^
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:50 am

BobD wrote:Looks to big and hectic for me to enjoy. Getting too old for that type of scene.

Yeah, I'd only recommend going to DragonCon if you're comfortable hanging out with 40,000 or so of your friends. It's a little hairy, to say the least.
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby BobD » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Phil wrote:
BobD wrote:Looks to big and hectic for me to enjoy. Getting too old for that type of scene.

Yeah, I'd only recommend going to DragonCon if you're comfortable hanging out with 40,000 or so of your friends. It's a little hairy, to say the least.

That's not a con, that's a city. Come back alive Philster. ^w^'
That is so my life right now.
BobD
Old Geezer

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 pm

BobD wrote:That's not a con, that's a city. Come back alive Philster. ^w^'

I'm going to have to drive into and out of downtown Atlanta, so I make no promises.
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:54 pm

ROAD TRIP! Time for the 4-75 Air Conditioning and 6 hours of Anime Mash-Ups on loop.

Anyone know a good way to keep energy drinks cold in a backpack for 8-24 hours. I have a case of Monster Rehabs that will keep me from passing out on the overnight jaunts. Stupid MARTA only runs until 1am and I don't plan to drop until my legs stop carrying me.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:02 pm

I need to have a plan of attack next time. That was . . . I don't really know what that was. Next year, no more trying for 1 panel every hour and a half. More like 3-4 events a day, TOPS.

So let's see. They had two college ball games, two concerts, the Braves playing, a LGBT event, AND DragonCon ALL in Atlanta this weekend. Probably a quarter million more people descended on Atlanta this weekend. It was something to see.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:27 pm

kaiser_forsaken wrote:I need to have a plan of attack next time. That was . . . I don't really know what that was.

If it's any consolation, it's acceptable to come away from your first DragonCon essentially feeling shell shocked. Also, look on the bright side: I'm told that Comic Con is far more overwhelming and hideously overcrowded instead of just very crowded.

Next year, no more trying for 1 panel every hour and a half. More like 3-4 events a day, TOPS.

Yeah, for any remotely big panel you need to budget 45 minutes or so of standing in line beforehand, possibly more depending on how popular the guest is and the size of the ballroom. For small panels you can just pop in whenever, however, so it's not too bad. That said, I think I maxed out at four events in a single day and that was with the ability to walk up to the front of the line as the assistant to someone with a handicapped badge, so, yeah, your assessment is probably spot on.

Probably a quarter million more people descended on Atlanta this weekend. It was something to see.

On the plus side, only 45-50k of those folks were at DragonCon. That's not too bad, is it?

Recommendations for next year:

1) Make reservations for a nice meal at Trader Vic's. At the very least, head over to the bar and have a few Mai Tais when things get hairy.

2) When in doubt, go play Battletech in the pods in the gaming floor of the Hilton.

3) Try not to spend more than an hour at a time in the exhibitors hall lest you go mad.

4) If you're staying in a con hotel, or know someone who is, kick back, relax, and watch major panels on DCTV. The only problem with the hotel I'm currently staying in is the lack of DCTV.

5) It's possible to get from the International Tower of the Hyatt to the Crystal Ballroom in the Sheraton in 15 minutes, but is it worth it?

6) Bail on the habitrail tubes and just take the street, even if you have to swim through the humidity.

7) The Corner Bakery across from The Hyatt is your best bet for a decent lunch. Also, they have amazing pastries; the chocolate muffin, cheesecake brownie, and whoopie pies are to die for.

8 ) Food Court Pro Tips: Loiter for a few moments and you can usual snag a table from folks running off to the next panel. My Friend's Place is rarely crowded and has good sandwiches; I'm fond of the egg salad, myself. Finally, it's worth an extra wait in line to add the fries from Checkers to whatever your meal is.

9) If you have the chance to catch Lou Zocchi's panel on The Science of Dice, do so. It's like watching a deranged Col. Sanders armed with calipers discuss polyhedrons and standard deviations for an hour while dragging members of the audience up to the front of the room to roll dice a hundred times in a row. It's so awesome.

10) Once you're completely broke - likely by sometime Saturday morning if you're doing things correctly - you can survive off of the chow put out in the con suite quite handily. It's directly above the coffee shop on the ground floor of the Hyatt. Once you have your snack (or, depending on level of poverty, meal) in hand you can walk over to the balcony and admire the cosplay from above.

11) Finally, if you're a fan of Jim Butcher and have the chance to see the man speak, do so! He was awesome on two separate occasions, which ain't bad for a con speaker. If you're not a fan of Jim Butcher, what are you waiting for? The first Dresden Files book is Storm Front and things go from pretty cool to completely awesome about four books in.
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for the Pro-Tips. Next year I need to stay in a hotel closer than the Airport Hilton. At $32 a pop, cab fare puts a dent in the funds quickly.

I ended up eating @ Noodle Cafe a few times, but I have a weak spot for Thai. The Spicy Eggplant and Red Curry Chicken were both primo and noodles are good fuel for those LONG days.

Durango Steak House also makes a steak burrito plate for $15, it's one of the more affordable plates, and the burrito has about an entire 6-8 oz sirloin cut up in there, plus other fillings, and it's about the size of your head, plus beans, rice, and salad on the side. Best bet for good burritos and good service (glares @ Mama Ninfa). Their apps are great too, I had the Fried Onion Stack and the Fried Green Tomatoes. Both were excellent.

I am so peeved I didn't make it to Vic's, I wanted to get an authentic Mai Tai while I was down there. Next year, next year.

The Skywalk tubes were a bit of a necessity for my group unfortunately. My step-sister was painted in water-soluble blue body paint, which would dissolve in the rain. Otherwise, I'd have braved the mild showers. Some of our tube-mates should have been tied down out in them.

On the plus side, I didn't know UltraSabers, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, or Forged Foam were vendors. Pleasant surprise that ended with a few souvenirs. Didn't get to hit the CosDev booth, but I did meet two of the ladies out about the con, so that was cool. It's definitely an older crowd than AZ, which is also cool.

Looks like I might have picked up my first ever case of Con Crud too. And since I burned a few call-outs @ work to actually attend DC, I get to go to work with this stuff. Fun. At least I get this weekend off too.

Well, one of these years I might get to go to a con and not spend the entire weekend as a baby-sitter. I doubt it, but mad hope is still hope.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for the heads up on Durango Steakhouse. I'll be sure to give them a try next year. If nothing else, their burrito has to be infinitely better than what was being served at Mama Ninfa's. Bleargh. My group went there last year and had adequate, if unexciting, generic Mexican food. This year we had lousy Mexican food delivered with awful service and we will not be returning.

And, yes, you absolutely want to get a hotel closer than the airport. You'll have to hustle on that and get your reservation in basically by the end of this month to make that happen, but it's worth the effort. Be warned that, depending on the hotel, the parking per day may be approaching one of those cab rides.

Finally, good luck with the con crud. No fun!
Phil
An Elder God...

Return to From June To May