• http://www.animazement.org/
  • It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:26 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

Official Video Request Thread For Animazement 2014!

Talk about your Animazement plans, and count down the days to Memorial Day weekend with us.

Moderator: Macross-Junkie

Re: Official Video Request Thread For Animazement 2014!

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:46 am

Tavex wrote:Golgo 13 anyone?

I am always going to root for more G13 in the video rooms. With the TV series released on Blu-ray in the US, that's a perfect chance to show some more Golgo 13 this coming year. The nice thing about the series (as well as the manga) is that it's entirely episodic, so while we showed the first four episodes or so in the past, we can take any later episodes in the series and show 'em without any difficulty whatsoever.

So, yeah, bring on Duke Togo!
I'm not sure what's going on here, but have you watched any of these Japaheeno guns-and-hooters cartoon movies?
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Tavex wrote:Golgo 13 anyone?

YES.
AZ 2014: Gambit (X-treme X-men), Kirito (Sword Art Online), other costumes TBD
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Macross-Junkie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Golgo 13 is something we can do for sure. But it will have to be the DVD release considering I shelled out a pretty penny for all four volumes about two years ago, and I don't plan on forking out the cash for another set on BD. That's not saying an HD viewing is out of the question though, sometimes Anime companies provide us with screeners, but Sentai is pretty skimpy when it comes to those. We'll see what we can do. Or maybe I won't even show the TV series. Maybe I'll show the first movie or Queen Bee, who knows, but I promise you will get some Golgo 13...
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction where ever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."
- Col. Tigh / Battlestar Galactica
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:38 am

Macross-Junkie wrote:Golgo 13 is something we can do for sure.

Awesome. In my mind, Golgo 13 is one of the staples that can and should hit the schedule each year. I feel the same way about Lupin; there is always some new Lupin you can show or old Lupin that hasn't screened in a while that can be dusted off.

I'm also on the same page regarding the Blu-ray set; having snagged all the DVD releases, I won't be upgrading. I just figured that the Blu-ray release of the TV series was a good excuse to have Duke Togo make his triumphant return.

Also, having watched The Professional last year, I can attest that it is hysterical and not actually good, and this is coming from someone who loves Golgo 13 and Osamu Dezaki. However, I've never seen Queen Bee, so I'd be all for that.
I'm not sure what's going on here, but have you watched any of these Japaheeno guns-and-hooters cartoon movies?
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Macross-Junkie wrote:As for SOA, I've already contacted Aniplex in advance about this title, and they don't want to release permission for the series to show at a con as long as it's running on Adult Swim, so that ones out as well.

Just FYI, I know they showed SAO at Anime Weekend Atlanta this weekend, as Aniplex was one of the major industry sponsors/vendors for the event. Might want to see if they're interested in setting up a room or two like that at Animazement, much like Funimation often does. Assuming they aren't @ Momocon that weekend anyway.

Also, since Funimation is an AZ regular, I know they are handling the dub of Jormugand. Probably shouldn't be too hard to get that approved, and it looks good to boot.

I don't think I've seen Project A-ko since the Sheraton. Might be good for some nostalgia. :D

And Spice and Wolf is always a welcome addition.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Macross-Junkie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:21 pm

kaiser_forsaken wrote:
Macross-Junkie wrote:As for SOA, I've already contacted Aniplex in advance about this title, and they don't want to release permission for the series to show at a con as long as it's running on Adult Swim, so that ones out as well.

Just FYI, I know they showed SAO at Anime Weekend Atlanta this weekend, as Aniplex was one of the major industry sponsors/vendors for the event. Might want to see if they're interested in setting up a room or two like that at Animazement, much like Funimation often does. Assuming they aren't @ Momocon that weekend anyway.

Ahhh, the always polite FYI, as if I don't know how to do my job, and not as if I've been doing this for almost 6 years, and been with the con for over 7.

You see, we've invited Aniplex, and Funimation, and NIS, and and all the big names before, and we will most likely do it again seeing as it's good business, but Aniplex has already told us before, they don't consider AZ big enough to warrant their time (seeing as our #'s are below 10,000). The reason AWA showed SAO is because Aniplex had a presence at that con, and they wanted to sponsor their most popular item. But since they aren't going to be at AZ, they have already declined our first request for the series. Plus to be honest, I'd prefer not to show the series because it's running on Adult Swim as well (it's kinda like beating a dead cat), everyone may love it but everyone's seen it...

Now Jormugand isn't a title I'm familiar with, but that doesn't mean I won't be by the time it comes out. And if it's not out by the time AZ rolls around, maybe we can convince Funimation to let us do a premier. Funimation is actually a joy to work with. Their rep, Sulli, is fun to talk with and usually approves just about everything without question.

And as for A-KO, YES, and I think we can do Spice and Wolf as well...
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction where ever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:20 pm

No offense intended, you're the expert here. I'd guessed as much, but I figured never hurts to check. As I mentioned, they are likely to be at Momocon that weekend anyway, since their attendance figures are a couple thousand people higher than AZ.

Jormugand is somewhat similar to Black Lagoon in style, but with Arms Dealers as the protagonists instead of Pirates. Same gritty style anime though, so it will appeal to the same crowd. And I've heard good things about Funimation from a few sources, so I figured it would be a good bet for getting such an interesting new anime. And an AZ premier would be pretty awesome.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Macross-Junkie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:42 pm

No offense taken, I was just being a smart ass. I'm creeping closer to 40 every day, and I feel I need to get my childish rants out before I turn into a grouchy adult like Bob and Phil...

On another note, I just funded a few projects on the AnimeSols website to be released on DVD. Hopefully their out by next May, and I hope the have some extra copies of "Creamy Mami" set 1, since I missed the crowd funding for that one because money was a little tight at the time. But I'm good for the "24 Hour TV Specials" Box-set...
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Odd. To the under-30, it sounded an awful lot like "GET OFF MAH LAWN!" Guess it's all relative. :P
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

Postby Phil » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Macross-Junkie wrote:No offense taken, I was just being a smart ass. I'm creeping closer to 40 every day, and I feel I need to get my childish rants out before I turn into a grouchy adult like Bob and Phil...

*brandishes cane, mutters to self about The Good Old Days*

In other news of interest to old fogeys, AnimEigo is planning a Kickstarter to fund a Blu-ray release of Bubblegum Crisis. The project isn't live yet, but you can admire the draft Kickstarter page here. There's also a forum to discuss the Kickstarter planning. I will, of course, be backing the hell out of this, with the desperate hope that the video quality is right up there with the Japanese Blu-ray release and not tinkered with overly.

Also, while we're talking crowd funding, I need to sit down and pledge my support to the wildly inexplicable Brother, Dear Brother fundraiser.
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby Macross-Junkie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:51 am

Well, I just sent my $50 to Kickstarter for the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-Ray. I know a lot of people have their doubts, but Animeigo has come through for me before (KOR, Urusei Yatsura, Yawara Season 1) so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I was so impressed how they handled the release of the KOR series both when it was on VHS and it's transfer to DVD, I mean honestly if they didn't dump them, Animeigo must be sitting on a ton of KOR VHS because of the trade program they had for the DVD release.

In other news, if the 3rd Berserk Movie is released on Blu-Ray in time for AZ, I will be running all three during the weekend, starting on Friday and culminating through Sunday. I've also aquired Tekkaman Blade II from Discotek, so that's another license rescue that we've never shown since I've been doing this. Finally, definetley expect to see Girls Und Panzer... I'm looking so forward to it, I'm about to pee my pants. Now if I could just get onto a Japanese server and play World Of Tanks Japanese version. The girls and their tanks are regional extras in the game, but apparently the U.S. version of the game hasn't decided to pick up this extra, Oh Well...

Oh, and I finally got Harlock TV in hand (it took Rightstuf forever to get it in stock) so that's a definite for 2014. So I'm off to watch some Harlock in my early morning stupper before I take my son to school...

More suggestions people, let us know!
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby Phil » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:29 am

Macross-Junkie wrote:Well, I just sent my $50 to Kickstarter for the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-Ray. I know a lot of people have their doubts, but Animeigo has come through for me before (KOR, Urusei Yatsura, Yawara Season 1) so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The only possible concern I have for the BGC set is that AnimEigo's recent Lone Wolf and Cub box set had a bit too much of the ol' DNR applied. However, folks on the BGC Kickstarter forum have generally been demanding video quality as close to the Japanese Blu-ray set as possible, with grain visible and no DNR, so I don't think it's going to be a problem this time around.

While we're talking crowd funding, I just got my pledge in for Dear Brother Set 1 from Anime Sols. They're at $12,090 out of $13,000 with three days to go, so hopefully it can make it across the finish line. Also, while I'm not pledging for Creamy Mami Set 2, I am pleased to see that it did make it's funding goal.

Oh, and I finally got Harlock TV in hand (it took Rightstuf forever to get it in stock) so that's a definite for 2014.

Excellent!
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby Macross-Junkie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm

While I don't think the BGC Boxset will be out before AZ arrives, I was pleased to see on my Facebook feed a message from RightStuf that I can pre-order "COBRA" TV Part 1, which is due to be released in March (just in time for AZ). As for Creamy Mami, I'm hopping Anime Sols has extras of these sets to sell through distributors like Rightstuf, cause I missed the funding for the first set.
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Macross-Junkie wrote:While I don't think the BGC Boxset will be out before AZ arrives, I was pleased to see on my Facebook feed a message from RightStuf that I can pre-order "COBRA" TV Part 1, which is due to be released in March (just in time for AZ).

The Kickstarter page for the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray set gives a delivery date of August 2014, so it definitely won't be in hand for next year's AZ. However, even with the inevitable delays that accompany Kickstarter projects it should absolutely be available to marathon in 2015, possibly with AD Police in HD as well.

And, yes, Cobra is crucial to the scheme. I need to get my own order in as well.

As for Creamy Mami, I'm hopping Anime Sols has extras of these sets to sell through distributors like Rightstuf, cause I missed the funding for the first set.

My understanding is that Anime Sols plans on distributing all of their funded releases through retail channels, or at least Right Stuf. Thankfully, Brother Dear Brother made it's goal in the nick of time and will be released one of these days; perhaps not in time for AZ 2014 but hopefully not long after that.

Also, while we're talking 2014 releases, Discotek just announced four new licenses. We've got Lupin III: Bye Bye Liberty Crisis (which I don't believe ever got a US release), DNA², Dragon Half, and the Fatal Fury OVAs. I figure it's always a good time to re-show Dragon Half and while it and Lupin were specifically mentioned as being DVD releases there's a chance of a Blu-ray upgrade for DNA² and Fatal Fury.
Phil
An Elder God...

Postby Macross-Junkie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Lupin III "Bye Bye Liberty Crisis" probably won't be out by AZ considering they just announced it, and the lag time of Discoteks releases. I do plan on showing the Fatal Fury movie if it's out in time, and they just announced a release date of February for Lily Cat. Plus my Cutie Honey boxset ought to be here any day now.

As for newer stuff, I have Good Luck Girl! Bimbogami, AKB0048, and HOTD: Drifters of the Dead on order... These will be definite showings at AZ...
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby Tavex » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:05 am

I got another one.

Black Jack?
Cosplay for 2014 AZ:

Mushishi: Ginko

Final Fantasy XIII: Snow (MIGHT do this again)

Tavex
Pokémon Master

Postby Macross-Junkie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:48 am

Excellent suggestion Tavex, I'll see what I can do about getting some Black Jack on the schedule...
Macross-Junkie
Starfleet Captain

Postby megaplushie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Has Golden Boy been shown lately? STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY
megaplushie
OM NOM NOM NOM

Postby Tavex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Macross-Junkie wrote:Excellent suggestion Tavex, I'll see what I can do about getting some Black Jack on the schedule...

Awesome!
Cosplay for 2014 AZ:

Mushishi: Ginko

Final Fantasy XIII: Snow (MIGHT do this again)

Tavex
Pokémon Master

Postby kaiser_forsaken » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:08 pm

megaplushie wrote:Has Golden Boy been shown lately? STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY

I wish I was that motorcycle seat.

God, I haven't seen that in years. Might need to go find the DVDs.
kaiser_forsaken
Gotei 13 Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Convention Discussion