• It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:43 am

Sign In

User menu

FAQ
Register
Login
Animazement Fan Forum

AMV Contest Tips

All those big time events of the convention from Dances to Music Videos, from Cosplay to Karaoke, we'll talk about them here.

Moderator: Kaji

AMV Contest Tips

Postby William » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 pm

Currently transplanted from the rules page, but I'll be updating and clarifying them shortly.

* Subtitles and watermarks make your video look unprofessional. Videos featuring subs and watermarks are the first to go into overflow or be cut from the contest due to time constraints, so try to avoid them if at all possible.
* Use DVD source footage. Downloaded footage is lower quality, less stable in video editors, and tends to result in watermarks that make your video look terrible. If you need help with DVD ripping, consult Animemusicvideos.org .
* Use uncompressed CD-ripped audio rather than MP3s for the same reasons as above.
* Try to keep your credit length down. I'll be including title slides anyway, so they aren't even necessary and will be clipped if they're longer than five to seven seconds.
* We project our videos in a theatrical environment, so try to use video footage that shows up in a dark room. Videos with very high or very low contrast come off as very white or very black, neither of which project well.
* Try to avoid making "generic" music videos. This means avoid combining series like Dragonball and Naruto with grunge rock. Linkin Park music is overdone, as is Evanescence. We suggest this because you don't want someone else to submit a video exactly like yours and kill both of your chances at winning. Consult the Most Used Anime and Most Used Music pages to make sure you aren't beating a dead cat. This is not a rule, merely a suggestion from someone who doesn't want to see your talents hindered by fan biases.
Last edited by William on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
William Bloodworth
Former Anime Music Video Contest Coordinator | Former Forum Administrator | Former Cosplay DVD Editor | Forever Tiger Tamer
William
The Voice of Reason

Postby William » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:30 pm

Edits: Added a note about subtitles and watermarks. Also added links to Most Used Music and Most Used Anime listings. Also added the part about credit lengths as I've noticed more than a few entries have credits ranging 10 to 40 (yes 40) seconds.
William Bloodworth
Former Anime Music Video Contest Coordinator | Former Forum Administrator | Former Cosplay DVD Editor | Forever Tiger Tamer
William
The Voice of Reason

Postby William » Thu May 08, 2008 11:26 pm

Okay, nothing personal people, but I'm seriously running into the snag of every third or fourth video I receive being done to Kingdom Hearts 1/2 this year. While one or two is fine, at this rate we're going to run into some painful footage overlap, so I hope you'll forgive me if your KH videos get bumped in the name of sanity.
William Bloodworth
William
The Voice of Reason

Postby David F Smith » Fri May 09, 2008 9:16 pm

William wrote:Okay, nothing personal people, but I'm seriously running into the snag of every third or fourth video I receive being done to Kingdom Hearts 1/2 this year.

Still? Didn't Kingdom Hearts 2 drop...three years ago already?

EDIT: Okay, about two and a half. Still, that's some staying power there.
Assistant Hellion
"A 'mundane' is someone who isn't bats--- crazy."
David F Smith
Shinsengumi Veteran

Postby Xarathion » Fri May 09, 2008 11:28 pm

I've got something different to throw into the mix. Should be able to finish it by the deadline. :roll:

7-year AZ veteran so far...
Xarathion
Citizen of Macross City

Postby frozendevil » Sun May 11, 2008 9:50 pm

I'm not sure if this is the proper venue for this... but, what's the average turnaround for submission conformation? I sent in my email on the 5th, but haven't received a conformation yet.
frozendevil
frozendevil
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby William » Sun May 11, 2008 10:23 pm

Normally within a day or two, but for some reason this year I was blitzed with a ton of them at once. I'm trying to get through as many as possible tonight, so I'm making a priority to get through everything submitted to me between tonight and tomorrow night. I know for a fact I already have yours, for what that's worth, I just haven't gotten to it in playtesting yet.
William Bloodworth
William
The Voice of Reason

Postby Xarathion » Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 pm

Yay...managed to finish and submit before the deadline. :P

7-year AZ veteran so far...
Xarathion
Citizen of Macross City

Subtitles

Postby NemiWrathe » Wed May 14, 2008 10:42 pm

:?: The majority of subtitles in my AMV are there for clarification purposes, so it would be easier to understand. Venus Versus Virus is fairly new, and not a lot of people are familiar with it. Plus, I didn't have time to recapture my video with the captions off. Is this okay or not? :?
Hop, Step, Jump~
Drew, Draw, Drawn~
Chips, Syrup, Whipcream~
My would-be self~
NemiWrathe
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby William » Thu May 15, 2008 9:24 pm

If they're fansubs then it'll still be points against them. In general, subtitles are highly distracting and if you can't get the message across without the subs then you might want to consider another approach. Part of the problem is that if subs come up, people will reflexively try to read them and stop looking at your video.

As for it being new, I've found that new footage without context is much easier to work with given you have more control over everything.
William Bloodworth
William
The Voice of Reason

Postby William » Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 am

Okay peoples, it just took me a few hours to widdle down the two playlists. I know Sunday is called overflow, but honestly I've got enough videos for it to essentially be a second contest. Good videos, too, so show up.
William Bloodworth
William
The Voice of Reason

Postby Ranmafan477 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:24 pm

William wrote:If they're fansubs then it'll still be points against them. In general, subtitles are highly distracting and if you can't get the message across without the subs then you might want to consider another approach. Part of the problem is that if subs come up, people will reflexively try to read them and stop looking at your video.

As for it being new, I've found that new footage without context is much easier to work with given you have more control over everything.

Editing tip - If your working with fansubs (Or any other source material where you cant remove the subs) try making the complete video with the subs, then throwing the whole project back into the editing software, cropping the bottom of the screen and adjusting the position so, although it cuts off the bottom of the screen, it removes the subtitles and it looks widescreened.
Good luck to all my fellow editors in the AMV Contest.
Ranmafan477
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby tranquil_waters69 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:16 am

Is there a rule where it says you have to use an English, instead of Japanese? Do you get points off if you do so?
Cosplays of AZ 2013

Sniper Wolf (Metal Gear Solid) - 100%
Major Misato Katsuragi -
Rei Ayanami - 100%
tranquil_waters69
Citizen of Macross City

Postby kawaii-ness » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:44 pm

There is not a rule about using Japanese songs. Just make sure that if/when they do use English words, they aren't swear words.
Find out just what any people while quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. -Frederick Douglas

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell
kawaii-ness
Cuterest Shinigami Captain

Re: AMV Contest Tips

Postby MsWvC » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:03 am

There goes my idea for an AMV set to Dr. Dre
http://lostlobster.info/
Last Updated: 8/11/2009
MsWvC
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby alarnia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:27 pm

will there be a new contest for 2010? is there a certain rating that the amv must fall under? obviously not nc-17 or R right? but what about pg-13?
  • Cosplays:
  • Yayoi (loveless): 100%(closet cosplay)
  • Rip Van Winkle (Hellsing): 15%
  • Ryuukou (Monochrome factor): 100%
  • Bunny!Claude Faustus (Kuroshitsuji II): 100%
alarnia
Low Ranking MACROSS Member

Postby jeromejacobzy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Thank you for sharing these contest tips.I am really looking for this.
jeromejacobzy
Shonen Bat Victim

Postby Postal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Where is the AMV contest being held?

I missed it last year ;_;
Cosplay for 2011 - A Ukranian S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Preview: http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/85444_stalker_wp_01_1280.jpg
Postal
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Postby Kaji » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:45 pm

Postal wrote:Where is the AMV contest being held?

I missed it last year ;_;

Lemme be honest, this is not a question worth asking here. You'll have to wait until the schedule is made public and see what room and time have been set for the contest.

Also, don't bother asking when the schedule will be made public. Just pay attention to the website and you'll know.
Follow your grape to righteousness.
Kaji
Jesus 3.0

Postby Postal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Jeez no need to get snarky. I was asking about last year so I can get an idea of it.
Cosplay for 2011 - A Ukranian S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Preview: http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/85444_stalker_wp_01_1280.jpg
Postal
Faceless Minion of Big Fire

Next

Return to The Greatest Shows On Earth